Not the WRT: another night in the Chilterns

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Not the WRT: another night in the Chilterns

Post by TheBrownDog »

While everyone was over in Wales WRTing their hearts out, I managed to get out last night with two other locals from my MTB club.

The Chilterns Winter Bivvyists will remember Sam who lent us his field and various shelters back in December. Sam came along on his Surly Troll with a great dry bag of kit strapped to the rear rack, and another bag on the front. It must have weighed 30kg all up (I know because I helped lift it over a gate and thanks to my mangled elbow couldnt actually put it down), but it didnt stop him. He's unspeakably fit and a skilled rider. Also along was mutual mate James who borrowed my Inbred 29er and winter bags. Neither Sam or James had ever been bikepacking - they're both very outdoorsy and James in particular is a fierce hill walker and wild camper, so there was no shortage of kit to compare and contrast.

In what was probably the most relaxed ride of my life we took about three hours to go 10 miles, stopping for tea and chat and never really getting going. Didnt matter. We eventually went to find a bivvy spot, settled on a place, then changed out minds when I remembered another place Id used before that had more room for the ground dwellers. Then off to the pub for a great dinner before heading back to the woods about 930pm to pitch.

Sam was under a tarp, James in his palatial tent and me in my hammock. I was using my underquilt for the first time and it's a revelation, or it will be once I worked out the best way to suspend it. This morning we were up at sparrows, had a quick breakfast and did a decent ride before I bid them both farewell near Amersham.

Some pics below.

I'm just going outside ...
benp1

Re: Not the WRT: another night in the Chilterns

Post by benp1 »

Good stuff Tim, sounds like a relaxing bivi!
Mbnut

Re: Not the WRT: another night in the Chilterns

Post by Mbnut »

Ha... that is some amount of kit Sam is rocking!

Good to see you got out mate.

I went up to the Lakes to beat myself half to death at the PMBA Nationals.... it is anything but relaxing!

3 days to put myself back together for the Spanish jaunt and if I can still straddle a bike after that we must get out.

Looking forward to hearing some feed back on the underquilt.

Cheers