The Plan B weekend.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

The Plan B weekend.

Post by Richpips »

Thanks to the advice on here we didn't head up to do part of the HT550 route this last weekend.

We did get out on our tandem though.

Friday morning after our Edinburgh talk, Markus showed us some of his local trails in the Pentland Hills.

Great views, and somewhere worthy of further exploration.

We left Edinburgh late in the afternoon, and drove towards Lockerbie. My original plan was to park there and ride the ~13 miles to the bothy we were planning on staying at. It was nearly dark though, so we drove a little nearer before parking up and riding in.

It was a wet ride in with a river crossing to get the feet properly wet. We were grateful of the fire.

Overnight, and in the morning as forecast it rained heavily. We did not rush to leave the bothy. If you go there the bothy book is worth a read. There are a number of historical entries relating to when the occupiers were shepherds in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

The river was noticably higher than the previous day. The water went over the top of Tom's knee length waterproof socks.

Our plan on leaving was to ride round to the monastery over the hill, but by the time we arrived at the turn off we were both soaked, so sacked that idea.

We did visit the monastery by car though.

Borderer

Re: The Plan B weekend.

Post by Borderer »

Nice write-up. That's my neck of the woods....Samye Ling is great isn't it? Nice that you had the bothy to yourselves too.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Borderer wrote:Nice write-up. That's my neck of the woods....Samye Ling is great isn't it? Nice that you had the bothy to yourselves too.
Thanks. I've been visiting Samye Ling for 25+ years. It's been great to see it evolve over that time.

Have you visited many of the other bothies in your locale?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't. It's a plan now though - I have Geoff's book, so no excuse. We are only 25 miles from Over Phawhope so a perfect wee jaunt. I'm still trying to get the boy back to fitness after his bug though. Managed 6 miles with him the other day, but it was hard work (lots of moaning) and he was wiped out the next day.

We also have Minch Moor (not in Geoff's book) that we could stay in just up to the north of us. I really like the idea of that one as it would be a short trip downhill next morning to No 1 Peebles Road, a fantastic cyclists cafe in Innerleithen that does a breakfast fit for heroes. If you haven't been there, I can recommend it next time you come up this way. I have overheard people there talking about training for 'Puffer so you would be bound to meet folk there that you know, I bet.

http://www.no1peeblesroad.coffee/
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry to inform you but Minch Moor bothy is no more. It was a wooden building including the foundations which had rotted badly so they had no option but demolish it. They have no plans to replace it.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Damn, I didn't know that, thanks for the info. Still, there are lots of wild camping opportunities round there though.