Bivvy a Month 2017.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RayKickButts

Re: Bivvy a Month 2017.

Post by RayKickButts »

Borderer wrote:I like the beach with blowing sand photo. Looks amazing, but hard work. What do you use for the wick of the baby bell candle?

OK so save all the baby bell wax the important bit is the strip you pull off save that .... then tear a small strip of bog roll and roll it in your hands so it makes a twist, double it over then start to wrap the tear off bit of the baby bell around the bog roll but with the white side of the strip on the inside, once done just mould the rest of the wax around your wick ... simples and gives you something to do while camped out .... hope that makes sense
BigdummySteve

BAM-2017. The Strife Of Brian 10/10

Post by BigdummySteve »

Friday night after work job, having wasted last weekends glorious weather mixing/ laying concrete I needed to secure an October night out. Despite Michael Fish,s blatant lies back in 87,I chose to believe the worst of the incoming weather would hold off until morning as forecast. I’d loaded the bike at lunchtime so a quick wash and change and off into Bugbrooke village to procure supplies for a long night. I headed out first to check out a spot I’d seen on google earth, turned out to be good but a little lacking in ambience, a few miles further on I hopped over a locked gate and up a track to a wooded area surrounding a pond I’d noticed on the map. I’d turned out to be a lovely flight pond with good shelter from the wind result :-bd

Tent up, mat inflated, wine...bugger I’ve brought a cork top again! Using a tent peg I managed to push the cork into the bottle :-bd the wine led to one of the greatest bike packing discoveries of all time, if you accidentally leave an inch of wine in your mug it makes a chicken and mushroom pot noodle into a gourmet meal

Despite our Reg attempting bring the apocalypse down upon me it was a nice night , Brian turned out to just a naughty little boy, if the three horsemen came they missed me in The trees. It was a tad ‘Mork and Mindy, the way home so full marks to the met office.

10/10. I can smell a full house, with the planned winter bivy we’re nearly there :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RayKickButts wrote:
Borderer wrote:I like the beach with blowing sand photo. Looks amazing, but hard work. What do you use for the wick of the baby bell candle?

OK so save all the baby bell wax the important bit is the strip you pull off save that .... then tear a small strip of bog roll and roll it in your hands so it makes a twist, double it over then start to wrap the tear off bit of the baby bell around the bog roll but with the white side of the strip on the inside, once done just mould the rest of the wax around your wick ... simples and gives you something to do while camped out .... hope that makes sense
Ingenious! But you have eat baby bell’s? :o
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Saturday night made it 10/10 for me. :-bd I'd spent the day repainting my son's bedroom and had the option of seeing the new BladeRunner film or braving the wind and squalls and sleeping out. Chose the latter. With the wind as it was I thought better of using a hammock or tent, and just took my bivvy bag and a micro-tarp for my head and didnt bother with cooking kit either. I took my new(ish) Pinnacle Arkose and headed out up to Weedonhill Wood near Amersham. Its a great wood with lots of hideaways, and even in the dark I found a good spot easily enough. Bloody windy and I cant say I slept all that well, but I never really do in a bivvy bag. Still, I didnt get up and going till 730 and meandered down to V's Kitchen for breakfast where I was the first customer of the day. Nice.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Little lacking in ambience' - lovely image and turn of phrase there BDS. I can just see you rejecting the spot due to insufficient room for the scatter cushions :).

Nice one TBD, good to hear you're back on track after last month's almost-wobble.

Looking forward to Chiltern Winter Caper and lots of BaM note-comparing and reminiscing around a convivial open fire, and you can't get a better ambience than an open fire with a few snifters. Nearly end of October so time to get my own chimney swept. I don't think, surprisingly, that's a euphemism for anything even though it sounds like it should be.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was worried I was going to miss this one.

A riding accident a couple of weeks ago has left me with a broken/cracked rib and I'e been off the bike as a result. Playing a bit of a waiting game I reckoned it was finally time to put it to the (gentle) test so roped in a couple of local buddies and made plans for a pub/bivvy night in some nearby woods. The forecast was for a sudden turn in the weather,with high winds and low (possibly freezing) temperatures, causing a bit of a worry in finding a suitable location that wouldn't involve riding over anything too rough. A big, warm sleeping bag was brought out of temporary retirement and the bike kitted out - whereupon I found that the BB had almost seized. A hurried re-pack onto the fatbike was required.

The pre-bivvy pub get-together carried on a good bit longer than planned and it was around 11pm before we set off for the short 5km ride. The spot I'd chosen worked out really well, being particularly sheltered and the temperatures held up much higher than forecast.as a result, I was far too warm in the bag and slept with it almost unzipped.

ImageP1040656 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1040644 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1040660 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1040662 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I woke up early enough to catch the last of the overnight mist in the trees and just lazily watched the daylight slowly increasing. It was around 7;30 before the other guys stirred and 8:00 before we headed back down to Aviemore and into the Route 7 cafe for breakfast.

No major pain was suffered, the kit is now airing and a BB is in its way from CRC. I'm hoping Novembers BAM will be a bit more adventurous though last nights was enjoyable too - and I think I've converted another couple of folk into bikepacking. Xmas presents were mentioned and I think I might even have got a BAM commitment from one :grin:
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Another Friday after work BAM for me. As I enjoyed the last bivvy in the shelter/barn above Ladybower so much I went back again. I took a different route, a few more hills this time as I was riding something with more than one gear and a vaguely functioning suspension fork. The first hour or so was a bit of an anxious hurry, pushing along the pace and not really enjoying it, until I realised I wasn't getting there before dark however hard I tried. Once I chilled out a bit and left my work mentality behind I enjoyed the ride a bit more. The sun went down, the wind picked up and the temperatures dropped. I heard a gaggle of geese flying overhead (returning to the UK for the winter or migrating, not sure) and then saw them against the sky. The shelter was empty and I settled in. I've realised I enjoy the bivvy more than the ride these days, The quiet hour or two just keeping warm, making drinks and food, reading or just listening to the random sounds seems like a real treat. The silence was broken by a loud aero engine noise and a big, slow plane lumbered past along the valley, low enough that I was looking down on it. It was a Lancaster I guess, but what was it doing flying down the valley in the dark?
I had a lazy start with the aim to ride over to Edale for breakfast at the cafe and then over Jacobs Ladder and home. All went well until the drop from Jaggers to the road when I ripped the sidewall of my tyre, an impressive 3" gash, too big to boot or repair. I already had a tube in, not changed it since the last puncture, so I limped into Edale with an alarming hernia poking out of the tyre, got my bacon fix and jumped on the train home. 9/10.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ChrisF wrote:Another Friday after work BAM for me. As I enjoyed the last bivvy in the shelter/barn above Ladybower so much I went back again. I took a different route, a few more hills this time as I was riding something with more than one gear and a vaguely functioning suspension fork. The first hour or so was a bit of an anxious hurry, pushing along the pace and not really enjoying it, until I realised I wasn't getting there before dark however hard I tried. Once I chilled out a bit and left my work mentality behind I enjoyed the ride a bit more. The sun went down, the wind picked up and the temperatures dropped. I heard a gaggle of geese flying overhead (returning to the UK for the winter or migrating, not sure) and then saw them against the sky. The shelter was empty and I settled in. I've realised I enjoy the bivvy more than the ride these days, The quiet hour or two just keeping warm, making drinks and food, reading or just listening to the random sounds seems like a real treat. The silence was broken by a loud aero engine noise and a big, slow plane lumbered past along the valley, low enough that I was looking down on it. It was a Lancaster I guess, but what was it doing flying down the valley in the dark?
I had a lazy start with the aim to ride over to Edale for breakfast at the cafe and then over Jacobs Ladder and home. All went well until the drop from Jaggers to the road when I ripped the sidewall of my tyre, an impressive 3" gash, too big to boot or repair. I already had a tube in, not changed it since the last puncture, so I limped into Edale with an alarming hernia poking out of the tyre, got my bacon fix and jumped on the train home. 9/10.

There’s a troop training flight from one of the bases. Let them have a steady evening then scrambled to a transport plane (not sure what type) they fly the dam busters route down the valley then usually give it full gas to get over win hill.

I was on win hill one very foggy evening with someone who had been in the forces (and on that flight) when we heard the big engines in the distance. We stopped running and waited there at his suggestion. The engines rumbled on and they got closer went to full throttle. It felt like the plane skimmed our heads as it went over!
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Ah, right. Slightly disappointed it wasn't a Lancaster - I could only see a vague outline, but quite atmospheric nonetheless.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ChrisF wrote:Ah, right. Slightly disappointed it wasn't a Lancaster - I could only see a vague outline, but quite atmospheric nonetheless.
I doubt they would fly a Lanc at night - there’s only two in the world left in airworthy condition. One is the BBMF and the other is Canadian.

I don’t know much about planes except lancs as my grandad was rear gunner in them in ww2. Amazing things. There’s one that taxis in Lincolnshire if you want to see one close up.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I saw a Lancaster flying down the Derwent Valley once. I looked down on it from Whinstone Lee Tor. Fantastic sight.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Considering the "ghost" thread, I was wondering if it was the ghost of a Dambusters training run.....

"I enjoy the bivvy more than the ride these days, The quiet hour or two just keeping warm, making drinks and food, reading or just listening to the random sounds seems like a real treat." :-bd. It's all on that "infinitely sliding scale" between "ride to bivvy" and "bivvy to ride".. sounds like the needle on your bikepackingometer dial has swung over to the latter side, for the moment anyway...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ChrisF wrote:I saw a Lancaster flying down the Derwent Valley once. I looked down on it from Whinstone Lee Tor. Fantastic sight.
They do fly them down there in the day time. We went to see both the BBMF and Canadian ones the other year. They sound incredible.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

The bomber and a Spit' (IIRC, there might have been two) did a fly over at Headingley stadium one time I was there with work. Incredible to see and hear. Certainly better than the ball-bothering-bollocks that was going on (not a cricket fan :wink: ).
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

Just heading out now for 10/10, I really hope its not as frosty in the morning as it was today! Bringing my new -7 sleeping bag just in case!
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

I think my "Bikepackingometer" © Reg is definitely into the "ride to bivvy" area at the moment. Went out after dark with good intentions to ride a fair way to camp, but after the first climb into the forest decided to stop and set up on an ok spot I'd used before. I knew the forecast for the morning was a bit rubbish and really just couldn't be bothered going further for the sake of it. Anyway a good if windy night was had (much warmer then I expected), and a short wet downhill home for breakfast. Will try to do better next month!
10/10

ImageDSC02748 by Mark Berry, on Flickr
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

RIP wrote:Considering the "ghost" thread, I was wondering if it was the ghost of a Dambusters training run....
Definitely. I'll go with that one. :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

October/November Double 11/11

Iv'e only done one two-nighter this year (WRT) most of my bivvies being of the dash'n'crash ilk, so for October and November I set out on the Triban(-ish) trail. On the afternoon of 31st October I parked my car in Coedpoeth and set off on the Triban trail. I by-pased the Llandegla loop and headed straight off towards Llyn Brenig. It was a very grey afternoon with a strong headwind to make life a lot less enjoyable. I knew that the clocks had gone back, but forgot that it would be dark an hour earlier, so most of the 25 miles I managed was in darkness. By seven o'clock I was tired and started looking for a bed for the night, scanning for somewhere out of the wind. There didn't seem to be anywhere that was level/dry/sheltered/free-of-livestock enough and I was starting to despair. Eventually a rather sub-optimal spot presented, on a slope and with a good crop of undergrowth, but good enough. I had a noisy nights sleep because of the wind but at least no stiffness from sleeping on the ground.

In the morning..

Say what you like about my preference for hammocking but sleeping on the ground here would have been impossible.

Next morning, November 1st, the wind had dropped and I pedalled up to the Llyn Brenig visitor centre for fish and chips. Very mediocre it was too. The toffee cake was good though. I quite often bring my grandsons cycling at Alwen/Brenig so saw no need to follow the Triban loop around the lakes and headed off towards Ruthin. In the sunshine. :-bd

As the day drew to a close I was struck by the redness of this tree, when all around was greyness

Someone had left a tractor tyre and said tree had grown through it..

Quite a lot of the bridleway was like this:-

Or full of mud, fallen branches deep cattle foot-print, but there was a good bit of trail:-
A green lane..

Needless to say, with my 4mph average speed it became dark before I'd finished what I wanted to do
Liverpool..

I pitched up in the kiddies playground in the Moel Famau Country Park car park. Because my camp was so visible, I was afraid of being turfed off, so thought I'd be unable to sleep. Not a bit of it.. Slept like a stone for 10 hours.
Morning after photos.
They're a bit dark because taken at 7 o'clock - I wanted to break camp before the warden came and sent me packing.
Again, I've ridden around Moel Famau a few times, so missed out the loop and headed for LLandegla. I strayed off the path a bit and came across this:-
A beer-keg graveyard :shock: Somebody has been very naughty, I think, since beer-kegs all belong to someone, in the same way as gas bottles do - they're only loaned/rented out. Shame really - a good few potential stainless fire-pits there, I'd have thought.
Thereafter an uneventful ride back to the car. Two months BAM for the price of one. Just one left to do.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
RIP

Post by RIP »

"my camp was so visible" - the old Hidden In Plain Sight ploy; top stuff, it takes a certain chutzpah to pull those off :-bd . Nice to see the "Two For The Price Of One" card being played as well - 31st/1st. Perfectly valid as confirmed by Stu. Although I'm sure I noticed a naughty attempt a while ago of a contestant claiming one end-of-month night as a Double. Sorry, rumbled :wink:.

Those kegs are strange. Must've been a hell of a party. I reckon the aftermath of the Chiltern Winter Bivvy will look pretty similar :smile:.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote:...the aftermath of the Chiltern Winter Bivvy will look pretty similar...
...but instead of beer kegs there'll be a pile of milk frothing pitchers and stainless steel cocoa shakers :wink:.
May you always have tail wind.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

November BAM achieved in the peak district. Now photobucket have become shiesters I CBA to load photos! But it was ace!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks for the baby bell candle info Ray. Will give that a go.
Wow that tree growing through the tyre is cool. The kegs make me mad though. Aren't they supposed to be worth a lot of money?

Anyhow, the weather has been great here, so with the car off the road yet again what could we do but head out on the bikes for a wee trip...

We have a trip planned for later this month, but I wanted to try out our new tent to see how we liked it and whether it was worth bankrupting myself for. I got very fed up with our wee old tent when we travelled in Europe this summer - two months living in what we lovingly call the 'nylon coffin' did my head in. So I pushed the boat a long way out and bought a MSR Carbon Reflex 3 for £376. I now need to sell a lot of old gear to pay for it! Anyway it is a 3 person tent and absolutely massive inside. Already Joe has nicknamed it 'the marquee'. There is room for us and all our gear and you can really sit up properly inside. The pack size is similar to the trekker 1.5 and best of all it weighs in at only 55g more. We each have our own porch and doorway and things like internal pockets and loops for hanging up an LED light string add the necessary homely touches to our nylon palace. The weather was cold but otherwise kind, so it has yet to be put to the test properly, but so far I like it a lot.

We left Hawick following Ray's Borders 350 route east or 'the wrong way'. We were planning to go to Jedburgh for fish and chips, but only managed a paltry 5 miles or so to Denholm before we had had enough. The path along the river Teviot was very muddy and thick with leaves, which made for interesting riding. There are a lot of steps and stiles to lift the bike over in this section, which was quite knackering when we were weighed down with winter gear. So we spent the evening in the Auld Cross Keys pub in Denholm where fish and chips on a plate no less, guinness, irn bru, and sticky toffee pudding with custard made fine companions to 23 games of bothy top trumps. Back out in the cold, we put up the tent in a picnic area next to the river where we lit our wee brazier/stove and huddled over it with hot chocolate before an early night. Our Everest quality sleeping bags kept us cosy in spite of the low temps. Up early next morning to find a frosty wonderland and all the puddles frozen, we were back on our way by 9am and headed home in glorious sunshine and blue skies. It was a lot of fun. 9/11 for us both.
L1200871a.jpg
L1200871a.jpg (692.82 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
Last edited by Borderer on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

One more photo from this trip..... ^
L1200873b.jpg
L1200873b.jpg (851.83 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Local bivi for my 11/11 BAM and my 19th in a row to day (2 more before retiring from BAM but not bivi'ing)

The new Trailstar tarp is so big my bike fitted in there to stay out of the overnight rain.

Stuart's poles set at approx 1.2m and 1m

Helped home with beach tail winds
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

John ... be careful angling that centre pole too much as it increases the stress on the spigots / joints. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way