Bivvy a Month 2017.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PeterC

Re: Bivvy a Month 2017.

Post by PeterC »

April was done 28/29th so 4/4.
No pictures as I forgot the camera, but it was on a lovely water meadow separated from the river by some trees. The meadow itself had some very natural looking copses scattered about and I bivvied on the edge of one of those. Woke in the morning to see a herd of fallow deer grazing 50m away. Those antlers were pretty big! Also on the way out spotted a black winged stilt, a bird I'd never seen before. Not the most exciting of trips but a bit of wildlife watching adds interest.
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

5 of 12 ... not a massively exciting bivi as I'm away now for rest of the month walking the TGOC

So with little option of the chance of another bivi I shoved my doss bag and bivi bag in my ruc and headed down to Ogmore and used a spot close to our January bivi. Weather was kind didn't get there till 2000hrs left at 0630 defo a trip to stay in the game

I've just arrived in Scotland, start my 210 mile walk from west to east coast tomorrow, fingers crossed for a wind at my back and no midges
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

5/5 Claerddu and the Monks Trod double.

I'd regretted passing on the Monks Trod on the WRT last week so resolved to "get it out of the way", travelling down to Pont ar Elan on Monday afternoon and starting from the car park at 8 o'clock. The Trod was easily rideable for 95% of the way - I just had to get off and push over a few soggy ditches - and I was dropping down to the Claerwen track at 9:30 with the last few rays of daylight. Up the track then to Claerddu getting there at 10-ish after taking a wrong turn and leaving the track too soon.

I'd forgotten how well appointed the bothy is. Someone had done a good job of tidying the place up - stove emptied, logs piled up tidily alongside, floors swept, no litter. I briefly thought of lighting the stove but for just me, at 10:30 it didn't seem worth it. I did make use of the gas stove (had to hunt around for a while to find the gas bottles out round the back and turn the gas on) in the kitchen though, a good hot meal and a cuppa was soon made and eaten before turning in upstairs.
The kitchen..
I woke briefly at around 6:15 to sunshine streaming in but thought "Sod it, it's too early, I've got all day" and nodded off again until I heard the door open downstairs at a quarter to eight. The door opener had been at the bothy when I arrived, but sleeping in his tent in the little yard alongside the main building. He'd ridden in from Llandovery, he said. No slug-a-bed like me, he was all packed up and ready to go, and went.

Just to prove I was there:-

I'd just gone the quickest way across on the first crossing, but wanted to do the whole Monks Trod "experience", so on the way back I left the Claerddu track at the permissive path, to cross the infamous bog of eternal stench across Esgair Bychanu and Hengau, crossing the ford at Rhyd Hengau. It wsn't too bad. The worst bits were when I strayed off-piste. The notorious tussock, had not yet grown and for most of the way it was rideable/pushable.
Sure, there was real quagmire too:-
but once over the ford,
though, it was dry up to the top.

I'd read that there was a green hut on the top so made a small detour to find it, with the intention of having a brew there. When I got there though, there were people who'd come in two 4x4s. It's their secret hideaway, the lady said and they'd come to rearrange the units in the kitchen.
Green hut:-

I took lots of pictures of wild moorland on the rest of the trip but won't bore you with them here.
At the Pont ar Elan end I followed the trail to the end, crossing the ford and pedalling up and back to the car.

So now I've "done" the Monks Trod. I can well see how it could be a real nightmare in normal (for there) conditions but if you were to avoid the marshes at Esgair Bychanu and instead climb up the track to the east of Claerwen Farm the ride would be less problematic.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Holy smokes, that's a well equipped bothy!
Al

Post by Al »

5/5 a very civilised jaunt around the forests of south Norfolk and Suffolk. With a little bit of actual rain when I woke up- that's rare stuff round here at the moment, quite enjoyed the sound of it on the tarp.
IMG_2448.JPG
IMG_2448.JPG (39.71 KiB) Viewed 9800 times
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's getting hard to find newer, less popular routes these days. This is one I'd had in mind for a while....

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2017/05/ ... elled.html
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Hoping to get a solo overnighter in before the end of the month but just incase I don't Gill and I visited Brattleburn bothy at the weekend, link to right up in it's own thread here: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 10&t=10037
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ended up riding through on this weekend's JennRide so the bivy turned out to be back next to the car in the field. First use of the Cuben Fibre tarp and bivy bag which worked well but will need a little modification, though nothing drastic, for next week.

Cath bivvied on Parkamoor along with quite a few others by the sound of things.

5/5 for us both.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

April was a few nights out at the WRT, may is quickly slipping away, hopefully I'll get a trip in this weekend or early next week in Devon/ Somerset
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I'm sat up on Win Hill above Hope watching the lights come on in the valley. Beautiful clear, warm evening. Bivvy bag and tarp set up. Planning to be up early tomorrow and in work for 7.
5 out of 5 (or will be in the morning).
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

3/5 for me and the boy.

It was a glorious evening so we threw some gear on the bikes and took off northwards for a few km to Ashkirk Loch, now known as Ashkirk puddle. The water used to fill the basin in this photo but is now just a shadow of its former self. I did worry briefly that this was a result of the exceptionally dry weather this year, but the google satellite image shows it has been like this for a while, so it is probably down to the plantation around it sucking it dry.

We camped on a high bluff overlooking the loch and saw deer come down to drink at dusk. Later on we heard a stag's mating call echoing through the forest which Joe thought was very cool, so a result there as far as micro adventures go. We used a tarp for the first time which was fun too.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

5 out of 5

13th in a row last night on the Merseyside coast

I'll sum the trip up in photos.....

Natterjack Toad

To the bivi spot

Beach sunset shots

Bivi spot

View from my bed, better than any view from any hotel bedroom ceiling

First view this morning

Last edited by JohnClimber on Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

BAM#5/5 - Loch Eanaich (a return).

A year ago I had my first foray into bikepacking (albeit with a rucksack) with a mate and his girlfriend headed into Loch Eanaich. My folks were seriously ill, I'd been taxi driver, home help and a couple of olther roles as well as dutiful son (all done willingly, freely and, well, because they were my parents). It had been an oasis in an otherwise extremely fraught period. I got to switch off for a weekend and have a bit of much needed R&R.

Having been abandoned by fellow BAMmers I had my first solo bivy to plan. I have just recently moved location, job and house. It's been a busy month! I needed a quick hit, that I could easily get to, not need to resort to GPS tracks (or continually refer to a map neither) so decided to return to Loch Eanaich.

After work drove to Aviemore where (after a quick stop at Smiffy's for a smokie supper) I rocked up a layby at Coylumbridge and got the bike out and bags attached.
ImageLoaded up and ready to roll. by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Headed out the path/trail from the camp site along Glen Eanaich.
ImageTowards Loch Eanaich by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Took a look back.
ImageTowards Loch Eanaich by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Then heaeded on to find a bivy spot.
ImageSolarisMAX at Loch Eanaich by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Fannied about bit being a bit thick before remembering that last time we'd gone 1/2km around the shore... duh
ImageBivy erected (OR Helium) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Got the bivy up and the tarp rigged.
ImageTarp rigged (Rab Siltarp1) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
before settling down to the evening meal of kings!
ImageQuality meal :-) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Cheers!
ImageCheers! by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Give the dirt a little room.
barney

Post by barney »

JohnClimber wrote:5 out of 5

13th in a row last night on the Merseyside coast

I'll sum the trip up in photos.....
Not BAM for me but still a nice trip out with John and Tony after what seems like ages.

A couple of photos in addition to John's...

two fatties (not just the bikes) :-

pre-bivy drink :-

quiet spot :-

breakfast :-
Wait for me...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

5/5 The family were all away at various different locations so rather than slob out following the rugby I packed up nice and light for a 10 mile trek up the tow path, a grand total of 67ft climbing! But I found a beautiful feeder lake for the canal. Nice chilled out evening, no one else around and my first use of a meths stove in anger.... nothing too exciting but work seems a long way away now
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147258524 ... res/w9vb17

Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Had to go out tonight as I'm driving up to my parents tomorrow and I'd have absolutely no chance tomorrow evening. So a trudge to a small wood after putting the kids to bed then hang from a tree. No pics as it's too dark under the canopy, maybe in the morning before packing up.
Really mild out here, might put my quilt back in the bag.
Finding motivation so hard this year but next month should be soon for the adventure cycling festival in a few days time.
5/5
65/65
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

5/5

Due to other commitments this one got left to the last available weekend. Headed out after dinner on Saturday and a leisurely 15 miles to end up only 2.3 miles from home and if the weather had been clear I might nearly have been able to see my house.

I took the new cat cut tarp I've recently made (see MYOG) for a test.

When it was pitched on my dry lawn with short grass and I just slid under it to try it for size it was fine. On long wet grass and trying to get into a bivi bag without getting wet it was not so easy :lol: I think I'll try slightly longer poles to see if that helps.

Woke up at first light which this time of year was just after 05:00 and is really too early but due to my location being close to a path I needed to get going before the dog walkers are about. First thing I did even before unzipping the bug net on my bivi bag was to look on trackleaders and see what had happened overnight on the HT550 :smile:

Then coffee on whilst I packed up and once the coffee was drunk it was time to head off. I was dreaming of cooked breakfast but at before 06:00 on a Sunday I would have to ride a while before I would find somewhere open. Headed along the coast and down to the seafront to fill up my bottles, only to find the tap is still not turned on x( that's the councils money saving in action I guess, very handy.

It easy to spot my bike as mine's a single speed :lol: When I was little (40 years ago) I'm sure that sea mine still had the spikes stickign out that are the detonators that set it off when a ship hits it? I'm sure I used to climb up it using them as holds, that sort of behaviour and today's approach to liability might be why they were removed. There also used to be a pier here (Shanklin) but it blew down in the '87 storm.

I ended up riding around the coast for another 15 miles untill eventually I found somewhere open. It was before 09:00 but the owner was sat outside drinking a coffee. On enquiring if he was open for food he said he wouldn't be until 11:00 :sad: but he offered to make me a sausage bap anyway :smile: people always seem more helpful when you're on 2 wheels. Then it was home as I was out for lunch with the In-Laws for the wife's birthday. 50 miles covered and another square ticked off my grid, SZ5080. That's 5 out of the 11 10x10km squares that make up the Island done. It's going to start getting harder to find spots as some of the remaining squares don't have much land in them.

The one on the far west has very little choice and as the chalk cliffs go straight into the sea there's not even any beach to speak off. A late arrival and early rise might be required there. What's the minimum time to spend sleeping and it still count as a bivi and not just a rest stop?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Currently camped just off the Tarka trail with my son, had a nice 12 mile ride up the trail from east the water a gentle climb most of the the way. Now I'm not sure of the rules but it's going to cover may/1st June so can I claim a June bivy? Even if it's on a paid site :o I thought it might scar him for life if he had to do what bears do..... gently does it :-bd

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/14961934

If anyone is looking to introduce a young one to the joys of bike packing/ bike travel this route is perfect. Easy riding on a well surfaced trail and a nice site reached with a ride through a wood. With the added bonus of Doombar ale :-bd

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Whilst not formally signing up for BAM, I realised that I did 2 nights in March, 2 nights in April, and have June planned out already.

So I nipped out on Tuesday night for a local bivy to bag May. Just took brew kit for a coffee in the morning and basic bivy kit as it was going to be a warm, dry night

Left home around 10.45pm in the evening and was home again just after 7am. Had a day off booked so even managed to take the dogs out for a morning walk as everyone was asleep when I got home

Wondering if I can continue with BAM for 12 consecutive months...
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

5/5 for me. South lakes Jenn ride, bivied on a very springy bit of forest floor up in Grizedale just before the route joined the TNF trail. 10 minutes into the ride the next morning spotted what I think was the main bearbones contingent on a luxurious piece of flat grass complete with picnic tables.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

6/6. Very late departure last night after dropping my son to his mum's once he finally got home from his mate's. It was getting dark and really didnt feel like a navigation challenge, so I took the Grand Union Canal up to Tring and then up to some woods next to Stocks Golf Club. Heaps of places to hang my hammock and dinner was a ham and cheese roll with a cup of tomato soup. It was a perfect evening and while the ride home was a bit of a grind, breakfast at a nice cafe in Berko made up for that. I'm out again tonight too. Love my weekends off.

I'm just going outside ...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Is the giant cucumber your breakfast?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

It's vaguely obscene isn't it? Does the job though. Nice and warm and teamed with a matching quilt its been good to around 2degs. Anything colder and Im going to stick a heat reflective mat between it and the hammock.

I went out again last night and the wind got up a bit. I really need to work out an arrangement that gives more protection - a sil nylon curtain or something - but doesn't involve too much more faffing about. I'm getting quicker at setting it all up, but it still takes a good 15-20 mins.
I'm just going outside ...
Al

Post by Al »

6/6 - bit of ridiculous hike-a-bike in the dark, but well worth it for the view of the Norfolk coast and the novelty of waking up above the tree canopy.
IMG_2492.JPG
IMG_2492.JPG (135.3 KiB) Viewed 9400 times
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

FlatlandAl wrote:6/6 - bit of ridiculous hike-a-bike in the dark, but well worth it for the view of the Norfolk coast and the novelty of waking up above the tree canopy.
It's very nice when you live in a flat place to get above the canopy, gives a good perspective. I had such a plan thwarted recently, but hope to succeed later in summer.