Audax: A pair of Kirtons

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Audax: A pair of Kirtons

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just entered the Strava500 Crikey, how much challenge. Need to make a round loop of around 310miles which I'll (try and) ride at end of this month.

I'm in Dewsbury so rather than making my own loop I've managed to find an Audax events route called http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-67/ . I just need to knock out 100km and decide whether to ride it clock or anticlockwise. Has anyone ridden this route and if so is it possible that you could shine a light: clockwise or anticlockwise?? Which sections to be removed??
Chew

Re: Audax: A pair of Kirtons

Post by Chew »

You don't have to do it in one ride :wink:

Clockwise
The climb out of Greenfield is quiet nice (if it's not too busy) and then you get a long run down into Holmfirth.
The other way wouldn't be pleasurable, especially if you get a headwind on Oldham road.

Also have a look at the Spurnhead 400 and 3 Coasts 600
Go through Dewsbury (or close) and are fairly flat out to the coast and back.

If you fancy company and when you're planning on riding I could be up for something :-bd

Although a 200 would be plenty in December
redefined_cycles

Chew... thanks for the heads up. Excellent ideas there my friend. I've already opened a charity page to raise £3500 for charity and also pre-sold my Crikey, how much woven badge (meaning I'll have to do it again next year) with the dough going to my fundraising page.

The dates set out are the final (2nd to last, I think its 23rd and heading out after Friday prayers) friday of this month... the company would be nice but the 2 man tent I have is a beer free zone :oops: if thats cool then let the show go on... lol
redefined_cycles

Or do I need to grab a bivvy bav to have the honour of riding with you. I don't mind (although it might just add to my stress just now... :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Good effort to consider riding the 500 in one ride :-bd
redefined_cycles

:lol: Never thought of riding the 500 in one ride... whatever gave that impression. I reckon around 50 or 62 (5 days) a day and it'll all be over!
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

redefined_cycles wrote::lol: Never thought of riding the 500 in one ride... whatever gave that impression.
I reckon it'd have been this bit…

"Need to make a round loop of around 310miles which I'll (try and) ride at end of this month"

But it got me thinking, maybe I could do it in 3 rides…
redefined_cycles

gma wrote:
redefined_cycles wrote::lol: Never thought of riding the 500 in one ride... whatever gave that impression.
I reckon it'd have been this bit…

"Need to make a round loop of around 310miles which I'll (try and) ride at end of this month"

But it got me thinking, maybe I could do it in 3 rides…
Oh yes. I see. I'll leave that to Ian Barrington after he completes his High Roleurs next year and needs a new mini challenge :cry:
Knocking out a 310 miler in 3 rides in middle of winter. Is that even possible for normal humans (with tent on racks!)...
redefined_cycles

Surely I would need a tent rather than trying to Bivvy it (not bivvied yet :oops: ) in such potentially cold conditions. Although the bikepacking idea does sound appealing with the reduced weight meaning I could ride a little further (maybe the 3 rides theory might be possible without the tent :| )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surely I would need a tent rather than trying to Bivvy it (not bivvied yet :oops: ) in such potentially cold conditions. Although the bikepacking idea does sound appealing with the reduced weight meaning I could ride a little further (maybe the 3 rides theory might be possible without the tent :| )
Bivvy bag is often warmer than a tent due to the fact it has a much smaller internal volume, so less dead air space ... not as much fun in the wet though, unless you find an Audax Hotel. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Not really up for riding for in the dark at this time of year, and it sounds like you may be planning something a bit more leisurely?

I've got a 200 in mind out to the Humber Bridge and back if you're interested in some longer day rides.
12 hours out, early pre-dawn start at 6am and back for 6pm to make the most of the sunshine
redefined_cycles

Thanks chief (bearbonesnorm)... My outlook on Bivvy bags may just have changed..

Chew: Not planning on the ride being leisurely but my pace would probably be classed as leisurely by your standards. Humber bridge ride sounds great and I would defo be interested in the longer days. Not sure I would be able yo keep up with you though but thats not a prob as you could just carry on ahead if I was toooo slow :cry:

Btw. Are you 'the Chew' who used to write for Singletrack mag back in the day (haven't bought it in a while but gave up my 10 years of reading MBR for it after realising they were just scamming the readers with repeats and tracks that obviously hadn't been ridden in years!
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote:Not really up for riding for in the dark at this time of year, and it sounds like you may be planning something a bit more leisurely?

I've got a 200 in mind out to the Humber Bridge and back if you're interested in some longer day rides.
12 hours out, early pre-dawn start at 6am and back for 6pm to make the most of the sunshine
I think I've decided on giving the touring/one long route idea a miss. Instead, starting from the 24th I'll be riding 3 or 4 loops of 80ish (or 107 if I manage the 3 days) miles each day... sounds more sensible and can come home each night to freshen up...
Chew

Post by Chew »

redefined_cycles wrote:Btw. Are you 'the Chew' who used to write for Singletrack mag back in the day (haven't bought it in a while but gave up my 10 years of reading MBR for it after realising they were just scamming the readers with repeats and tracks that obviously hadn't been ridden in years!
Not guilty.....

Average pace would be 20-25kph moving and stopping every 50k for a brew

How about York and back at ~90miles?
redefined_cycles

Yup. I could do that pace (my average on the 100ft/mile rides ia around 10mph and on a long fairly steep ride of 50ft/mile its touching 13 to 15mph)... yup, York and back sounds like a good plan/reminder. That's one of the days covered.

The other 2/3 days will probably be to The Rake and back (which will go past you on the way to Burnley and then back via Todmorden) and maybe a century to hull and back... check out these routes...
redefined_cycles

PM incoming
ton

Post by ton »

i have a nice 300k ride for you that comes through Dewsbury.

Butties Brid Trip. from Meltham, out to Bridlington, and back a different way.
redefined_cycles

ton wrote:i have a nice 300k ride for you that comes through Dewsbury.

Butties Brid Trip. from Meltham, out to Bridlington, and back a different way.
Mate. Thanks a "Bobby Dazzler" bundle. Please tell me its in your strava and you'll be able to send it as a strava file so I can just save it into my routes!... cannot wait Meltham and Bridlington... cor blimey!

Ps. Hopefully you'll be doing the CVMBC this coming May...
ton

Post by ton »

route is on this link. map with route highlighred in purple.

http://www.meiring.org.uk/pdm/Audax/rid ... uttys.html
redefined_cycles

Excellent. Thanks :-bd