Zippy's Trips & Adventures

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zippy

Zippy's Trips & Adventures

Post by Zippy »

Back in the day (well, 2005 - 2011) I had a blog/website hosted on my own webhost, running off a wordpress platform and used to maintain it all myself. One day it got a Denial of Service attack, and I just couldn't be bothered to sort it all out. I used to write about whatever I was doing at the time - XC racing and 24 hours events / MTB Marathons and BUCS MTB Champs (I won a race then dontachaknow! Image )

Anyway, after I couldn't be bothered to sort it all, I just uploaded odd photos to flickr, and even my social media presence waned. Also, blogs were getting ever more popular just as I stopped doing them, so I actually spent more time reading other peoples! Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread as a "mini-blog" section here on BearBones to share trips & adventures for those who might be interested - I've read enough adventures of others here (and still have a backlog of them to still read), but thought it time I share a few stories too, it's been a good 5 years since I've written a proper blog post! Image
Zippy

Re: Zippy's Trips & Adventures

Post by Zippy »

BearBones 200 2016

I'd signed up for the group start of the 2016 BearBones 200 route. I'd not done much mountain biking this year, but plenty of commuting, I felt I hadn't really lost any fitness, and the mental side of things was the name of the game. The bike was a bit un-prepped, but a few last minute internet orders sorted out my dead tyres - I was now all tubeless, and a bit of quick tinkering later I was happy with the bike. The route came into my email, I sorted them onto some paper maps (fitted onto 3 x A3 sheets) to have a quick glance over and as a backup, loaded the route onto my etrex 30 for Nav, and a backup on the edge 500 which I use just as a bike computer. I'd taken the Friday off work to drive to Llanbrynmair, and everything whilst a bit last minute, it was all in order.
Well Thursday the day before driving down I started to feel a bit eurgh, and my thinking of doing the route in one hit got downgraded to packing the tarp + poles too and taking it easy over a couple of days. Well on Friday, I couldn't really think properly and wasn't in a fit state to drive or even use an allen key, so I called it off Image

By Sunday of the weekend, I was mostly alright - and mentally fine. If I can think straight, I can sort everything else out - and my hands were working again as I was able to pull out the VANOS solenoids on the car and clean them up. Image

A new plan was hatched, and I'd complete the BearBones 200 a week later. I tried to not read about anyones exploits on the route, but I did hear about a couple of people doing it in reasonable time, and the good weather. Thursday after work I loaded the car, Friday after work (one week after I first intended, 14/10), I sprinted to the Wynnstay Arms in a not too bad 4.5 hours including rush hour traffic, and stayed the night. I kept an eye on the weather forecast, and by Saturday morning I had a full english breakfast and waited for the heavy rain-band to pass before setting off. I actually packed a waterproof this time as I didn't trust the forecast - my previous two BB200 rides I hadn't bothered with a waterproof as I find them too boil in the bag unless it's torrential.

BearBones 200 - 2016 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

Bike / Kit setup can be shared if there's interest. Yes I am still running 26" wheels! Image

At 0928, I setoff for my 3rd BearBones 200, but completely solo. I had a wonderful headwind for the rest of the day. Legs felt good, but I was soon snotting out and constantly wiping my nose - I decided to make sure I limited use of my top end as I clearly wasn't at 100% fitness. To this end, I walked up a few climbs I could have ridden, and just made sure I got on with the day. Nothing too eventful over the first 6 hours, legs started to gradually get tired, a few steep climbs, but all was good and I was enjoying being in my own little world letting my mind be in it's own place. I ate fairly minimally (literally a bit of home made flpajack, 4 salami slice and 2 baybel) and decided to make it to Knighton to buy fish and chips which would then fuel me for the night shift. I reach Knighton in just under 8 hours (and noticed that the gates were far easier to open in Shropshire than Wales!) and as I pedalled into the town, it started to rain. I ate my fish and chips in the chippy, they also cleaned and refilled my bottles, and I set off again into the p1ssing rain. The headwind to Knighton also appeared to stop, and be replaced with no wind - arse! Image

Gradually carrying on, it was all getting a bit wet and a bit cold - but the waterproof did it's job, and I noticed at my purposeful low exertion, I wasn't boiling up too badly in it. The rain died down after about an hour and I settled into the night shift. The numerous gates were starting to get to me, and my mind starting going into that darker place as the temperature and hill gradients fluctuated, and I started getting annoyed with gates - they really interrupt your flow! Image A few times I even thought quite seriously about how I had nothing to prove to anyone (including myself) and I might just shortcut at Staylittle. Image

I started eating a bit more often and slogged on, the sleep monsters were starting to get to me, and I think I had a couple of stood up resting my head on my saddle micro-sleeps for a few minutes - I had some pro-plus with me, but didn't resort to them. By Llanidloes I was starting to feel fairly exhausted and sort of wish I'd stopped at the kebab shop for a coke and kebab, but as I still had a couple of pork pies in my frame bag, I just scooted through. I was also noticeably having a really runny nose, and it was getting sore from constantly wiping it!

Somehow, I got to the Hafren forest river crossing, popped into the bogs there to eat my pork pie - and annoyingly find no water! It felt close to the finish, I looked at the stopwatch and thought, 'well lets just do this route, I've put a lot of effort at work to make the time available' and just ploughed on upto the Star Inn and round the back. By now it was getting on 4am, there had been a bright full moon - but this had gone away and it got all dark and misty, just as all the hike a bike started. The tussock trudge I found ok, and followed the GPS line quite accurately and found all the gates. No sense of humour lost, but it was now hammering it down with rain and I just carried on. The next section I found quite challenging, I was dead on the GPS line, but found myself trying to find my way through impenetrable woodland, over barbed wire fences and through Gorse plantations. I made it through eventually, but I found it really tough as the rain just kept getting heavier, it took ages to find the path the gps line was trying to depict when there was one (I'd lock onto it once it was found!) and my leg started getting a bit strained. I finally rolled into Llanbrynmair 21 hours and 12 minutes later - pretty soaking wet, fairly achey, but quite pleased with what I'd achieved.

Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/747359882

That was a completely different experience doing it solo with nobody chasing or to chase, not at 100% health, and in more challenging weather conditions than previous BB200 events I'd taken part in. I held it together, my bike worked, my mind worked, and my body held together. Good job Image

-------------------------

post script of the event, I got changed in the bus shelter, got 20 mins kip on the bus shelter bench, reversed car into bus shelter to load my bags and bike and stuff from getting changed, said hello to Stu & Dee (and earn my 3rd black badge Image) where I drunk tea, ate toast and talked general crap, got in the car, drove 185 miles to wiltshire to pick up a set of car wheels, drove another 165miles home and was shattered! 10.5 hours of sleep overnight later, and back to work on the Monday. Why do we do things like this - because we can. Image

BearBones 200 - Triple Black Badge Holder. by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

BearBones 200 - 2016 - the aftermath. by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
Looks quite clean after the rain at the end washed it!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Obviously a big thanks to Stu & Dee for organising event, route, yada yada yada Image
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hmm, a bit behind on this, I'll do some admin and updated. Could do with uploading some photos too! :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

So, to keep my stuff in one place. From here: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 9&p=114739

Lake district bikepacking with Zippy and Wotsits

So here’s a few extra words from me, I thought I’d use Ben’s words as a template – see how that goes. Image
benp1 wrote:This is a very quick write up following a very wet weekend in the Lakes.

The original aim was to follow the South Lakes 100 route and potentially add some bits on if we fancied it. We didn’t plan for such horrific weather – it’s grim up north!

Day 1

Met up with Chris (Zippy) on Friday morning and got on the road

Quite sunny, dry, mild and generally nice. Good spring bikepacking weather. But we were down south
Where I pulled a McDonalds breakfast out of my engine bay, as it was keeping it warm for Ben, whilst I was eating mine! Car packing was easy, and we knew this was probably going to be the driest it will be until we head back south again.
benp1 wrote: Up the A1 and across the Yorkshire Dales straight into the Lakes. Beautiful countryside but the weather.. It’s grim up north. The grim started around the Yorkshire Dales and never left us

We got up to Staveley for around 1.30pm, it was belting it down!

By the time we faffed about, had some lunch, sorted the bikes, and procrastinated we were rolling at 3.30pm
It’s grim up north!

P1050373 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: We followed the route but it was slow going, the muddy slog at the start was quite technical in the conditions given all the rocks that were thrown in for good measure. It was very slippery

After about two hours we’d done 8 miles... 8 miles! It was slow
Yeah, it was wet under the wheels, the weather was wet and windy, and the views significantly reduced, however there were proper climbs, and techy bits – I was really enjoying the riding – even if it was slow. A lot to be said about picking a line, but conserving energy to get across efficiently.
P1050383 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

P1050380 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote:
At the bottom of the climb up from Kentmere we stopped for a bite to eat when we realised we were moving quite slowly and might have a problem with getting to the pub for dinner. I noticed my Revelate Pocket had filled with water, so moved a few things around (like phone/wallet/key) so they weren’t sitting in a pool of water, plus poured the pool away

We climbed up from Kentmere and got to a river crossing with some stepping stones. The stepping stones were completely submerged and the water was gushing over the top of them. The crossing was up to Chris’ knees within 2 steps and it was in pretty full flow

At this point I’d got off the bike to have a reccy and noticed my frame bag was undone. I had a quick rummage, found my phone and wallet but not my key. Meanwhile Chris had walked up and down a bit to discover there was nowhere safe to get across with the bikes. I had a proper search of the bike and confirmed that the car key was definitely missing. Nuts
Hmm, this river crossing looks a bit tasty, so I shouldered my bike and started stepping in. Woooah, that’s slippy underfoot, oh and it gets deep quickly, and there’s some flow. I see there are some stepping stones that are submerged – oh right and now that’s creating a scour hole. I left the bike by the side and surveyed the river up and downstream, and tentatively walked in. Within 1 or 2 steps, I was up to knee height and not in the strong flow section, it was slippy, difficult to get footing and the moment I moved a leg into the flow, it was a bit of a battle to stay upright. I might have attempted the crossing in walking boots and using a walking pole or something – but this wasn’t going to happen safely with a bike – and hey we’re on holiday, not smashing an ITT!
We needed to turn round anyway, we could do with finding the car key!

P1050393 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: So we turned back and looked for the key. Thankfully Chris found it after not too long, what a relief. We both agreed that we shouldn’t try the river in that state so we dropped down off the hill, which was good fun, and then hit the road. We basically went back to where we’d left the car via the road and then took the road onto Windermere. Staveley to Windermere is 3 miles, it felt about 8. Brutal headwind and rain, it was a hard fought 3 miles. By the time we got into Windermere it made sense to just carry onto Ambleside, this was a good decision. Ambleside was a much easier 5 miles with at least half of that downhill
Wahoo, I spotted the key and found it! That was lucky.
benp1 wrote: We’d doubled our mileage following that stint on the road, although the road was pretty wet too!

We had some drinks and 3 courses in the pub, which was very welcome. It was busy in there (and it was also St Patricks Day) and plenty of folk thought we were completely nuts. We carried onto Rydal
Cave after that where we spent the night – thank you to Quimarche for the recommendation
Pub was a welcome relief, Ben amusingly emptied his waterproof socks of probably a couple of litres of water before we went into the Pub.

P1050401 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: At no point did it stop raining. We were both testing various Paramo outfits, I was glad to have been wearing mine. I actually cycled with a hood up for nearly all of the ride, and was quite glad of that

Knee length seal skinz didn’t work though, water came in through the top, a lot. I would conservatively estimate I had 300ml in each sock, which I poured out when we got to the pub. It wasn’t pleasant pedalling with that in your sock!
The paramo was doing well – however I was getting a bit cold through the day, but that was sorted in the pub when I worked out how my brand new reversible baselayer work, and switched it to heat retention mode rather than cooling! Turns out, with the correct layering system, the “windproof” actually works pretty well in torrential conditions, you just need to get over getting wet and accept being comfortable – I’m happy with the testing now 
Also yes, but thanks to Quimarche for scoping out the Cave, that was a first for me and kept us out of the weather.

P1050408 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: This was our route on day 1 - https://www.strava.com/activities/908529584
benp1 wrote:
Day 2

We had a dry night in the cave despite the deluge outside and the constant dripping inside, we were rolling by about 9.30am having had a brew and a bite to eat outside (when it supposed to be dry but was just drizzling).

From there we followed the route over some lovely tracks. A couple of climbs and some very wet sections later we had lunch in Elterwater. Some great views here, if it was clear I would imagine it is magical, Great Langdale is gorgeous
Lovely views, still very wet though and no sun, but even then the views are lovely, I bet it’s amazing in the sun.

P1050432 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: We passed a river crossing where there were some stepping stones for walkers to get across the river (footpath either side). They were all under cover, even the ones near the edge
Yes, this was a big way marked path with a proper sign and near popular walking routes – the river was quite a bit bigger than it’s banks!
benp1 wrote: All through the day we were planning to meet Jase (Wotsits), but he wasn’t sure when he might get up there and therefore where we should meet. We were able to get some signal in Elterwater and agreed to either meet in Hawkshead or the pub in Satterthwaite

We rolled into Hawkshead at 3.30pm and were able to get signal again. We confirmed that we’d meet in the pub in Satterthwaite for dinner

Elterwater to Hawkshead was a nice section, we saw a few bikers and a few more walkers, plus some 4x4s doing some greenlining. Great rocky tracks (although very wet) and just a lovely part of the world.

The next section out of Hawkshead is a bit of a climb but there’s a lovely trail (TNF trail) leading down to Grizedale visitor centre. What made it better was that we found the ONLY weather window the whole weekend that wasn’t raining. The sun even came out (very briefly). We had to derobe part way up the climb as we were overheating
Well I just swapped the orientation of my baselayer into cooling mode!

P1050444 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: We got down to Grizedale visitor centre to find the cafe closed (and the rain was back!), but we spotted a potential spot to sleep by the picnic benches. The downside was that we’d have to be away pretty early to avoid any visitors or dog walkers

But we now had a rough plan for somewhere to stay, and a dinner date in the pub, so we carried out safe in the knowledge that we knew where we might be staying and it didn’t involve being subject to the horrific weather
You always feel better when the weather is crap and you’ve got somewhere sorted in your head to stay to keep yourself vaguely dry when getting some kip!
benp1 wrote: More climbing out of the visitor centre, some on the trail centre trails, some on fireroad. Given it was mostly up from Grizedale, and it was raining pretty hard, it was obviously a bit slow. I wasn’t sure if we’d make the pub on time. When we looked at the map earlier we knew that there were some bail out options to shorten this bit and get to the pub quicker, but the point I was thinking about the route was the point we were furthest away and so committed
(heee hee, evil plans!) Image
benp1 wrote: But then we got to Parkamoor and it was all worth it. From here onwards the route changed and we got to moorland which was ace. You couldn’t see much due to the rain/fog/cloud but you had a sense of the big open spaces that were there

There was also a great looking bothy/cottage but it was locked, would have been a mint place to stay!

Then we got to the proper descent, oh my was it worth it. Apparently known as the three witches or granddad, dad and dentist. This is the best descent I’ve ever experienced!
Yeah it was good. Image

P1050457 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: Everything aligned - I thought we were at the furthest point and had quite a way to go, the light was starting to go quickly, the pub and dinner was beckoning (plus I was hungry), and then bam – epic descent

And just when I thought it was over there was more. Its a mile and a half of fast/rocky/technical descent and boy was it good! Even on a loaded bike.

And it dropped us out a very, very short road section away from the pub

Pub was excellent, 3 courses and drinks in here too. Plus there was a fire so we could dry some kit out
Enter meeting Wotsits and lots of pub time. Even a fire to dry some kit out on.

P1050464 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: Left the pub after 11pm and rode back to Grizedale (in the rain, again). Jase had a better suggestion that was similar to where we found but more tucked away, and there were toilets too! It was great to have a dry spot to spend the night (there was a slight bit of wind blown rain), it was wet and windy all night.
benp1 wrote: This was our route on day 2 - https://www.strava.com/activities/908530330

Day 3

Very wet and windy over night!

The caretaker for the place we were bivvying at turned up in the morning, we were up but hadn’t packed up. He didn’t seem to mind, he had a bit of a chat with us and commented on the weather. You know it’s wet when even the locals are saying it’s wet (as they had the whole weekend in fact)

Once packed up we procrastinated more by having some food and a brew, it was miserable out from under the sheltered bit we were occupying
P1050473 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote:
Jase knows the lakes very well so we used the route for guidance but also his inside knowledge. We went up Breasty Haw climb was which interesting in the wet, but had a brilliant descent off the other side. Another climb later followed by another excellent descent took us down to Lake Windermere.

The ferry was thankfully running so we grabbed that across to Windermere and headed back to Staveley (with a mixture of road and off road)
P1050478 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: Lunch in Wilf’s and then headed back, we were on the road by 3.30pm and I got home 6 hours later

The grim stopped somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales, although it was a bit rainy on and off all the way home

We had a section in the Yorkshire Dales where we had to turn back. One of the roads was flooded quite badly, we’d noticed flooded flood plains on the way back already but now we faced one, with a road running through it. We only saw 4x4s getting through it, and a Volvo C30 parked up on the side having broken down after trying it. A couple of motorbikes did get through, good effort. Most turned around. I wasn’t risking that in a borrowed Peugeot 307, known for having low air intakes, so we diverted around.
P1050494 by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
benp1 wrote: This was our route on day 3 - https://www.strava.com/activities/908530710

All in an excellent weekend. Without question the wettest weekend I’ve had, I thought my previous record was already reaching unattainable heights and fairly safe in lead spot, but what a place for a wet weekend. I’d like to come back in the dry as while the route is rideable in the wet, it would be so much fun in the dry.

Total distance was 80 miles, a lot less than the 100 miles we’d planned (and we were even thinking of adding stuff onto that)

I found the natural trails to be so much more fun than the trail centre stuff. Trail Centre wasn’t bad, but the natural stuff was so good! Last time I came up my favourite descent was The Fox, I’ve found a new high

Bike was good on the whole, although I had a few gear problems which I need to sort, I could fairly often get into gears 1, 2, 4 and 6, others came and went during the trip. I’m not sure I ever saw 9 or 10! I think I need to make a hole in my Revelate Pocket to let it drain. I don’t mind stuff getting wet, but not helpful if it’s sitting in a pool of water. Other Revelate bags were fine

I’ll sort some pictures out but I didn’t take many. Zip, can you post any of yours up?
Photo album here for a few more pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskRr8aJv

Enough said. Good trip, wet, windy, tested some kit setups and it worked well. I could do with stopping my brakes squeeling though! I’m now hoping to do a few trips in the sunshine…! Image
Last edited by Zippy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Post reserved to chat about WRT 2017, (maybe, if I get around to it!) :o
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cairngorm Loop ITT - July 2017.

I'll add some photos and stuff later when I get a chance. But I'm back at work and had a slightly epic weekend of driving and riding to do the Cairngorm Loop!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1088024841

The story..

Weds 12th July

Quickly checked car over, topped up oil and windscreen washer fluids. Checked over bike and topped up tyre sealant. All good.

Thurs 13th July.

Was meant to be just a bit of packing. Apart from I discovered my DISA valve had fallen apart on the car, so fished that out and cable tied it out of the way – and also my rear tyre had ejected sealant everywhere. Cue a long night repairing the bike, and eventually packing everything, I did manage to get to bed before midnight, but only just!

Fri 14th July

Early start to get to work early so I could leave early. Left work at 1515 (shattered due to the night before and the ridiculous temperature I have to put up with all day) and drove through some rather average traffic, 485 miles to a place I’d eyed up just North of Pitlochry for a sneaky camp. I was asleep by midnight.

Sat 15th July

I woke up at about 0530, drove down to Glen Tilt, and was away by 0730. About halfway along the first road section, the rain stepped up a notch and the Paramo jacket came on. By about 1 hour 30 into the ride I’d done my first couple of river crossings and worming my way North. I was content with my kit setup and how I was feeling at this point and kept on pedalling to towards Feshiebridge. The weather kept changing every 5 minutes, but carried on regardless. Made it to Glenmore within 6 hours I seem to recall and stopped there for some food at the Forestry Centre.

From here it was the steep pedal out and over the top adjacent to Bynack Moŕe. At the base of the climb the temperature had crept into the 20s and the sun was out – knee warmers were off, suncream on. By the top, the knee warmers were back on the jacket was back on, and I was being blown off the path by the rain. This was a mostly push over the top across to the Fords of Avon, along Glen Derry and to Derry Lodge. The weather was windy and wet – properly tough going. By this point I was starting to feel quite beaten up, and not realising how long this section would take, had almost forgotten to eat and drink – whoops.

The next 5 or 6 hours from here was a bit of a blur, but it was a load of landrover track in crap weather, following the River Feshie to Ruigh Aiteachain – that was a lot tougher and boggier than I was expecting. Sleep monsters had already been creeping in from after Glenmore lodge, so by the time I made it to the Bothy I was pretty sleepy and having bad thoughts (thoughts of bailing, the weather was really causing me to not enjoy it, and the rigid bike was starting to beat me up). Turns out the Bothy was closed due to construction works – but I found somewhere dry and out of the weather to sleep!

Sun 15th July

Whoops – I’d slept in a bit for an ITT, I didn’t set off until 0630. Still the body needed sleep, the forecast from memory was meant to be getting better, and given my preceding days before the ride were sleep deprived, it was probably required. I set off and was making better progress due to being on tracks and roads towards Aviemore – rather than the bog fest I finished the previous day with. It was a bit early to try my luck for food in Aviemore, so pressed on towards Tomintoul. There were a few tough bits that I ended up pushing and swearing about, but on balance better than the day before – but I was beaten up from the riding! Tomintoul by around lunchtime, and some doubled up bacon and egg roll was consumed. By this stage I was starting to feel like I’d make the ride, and possibly even that day if I put my head in the right gear.

The section from Tomintoul to Braemer I almost enjoyed myself – still obviously had the beaten up bike feeling, but I did that in about 4 hours. My chain had been dry since the start of that day, and I’d accidently released the contents of all my chain lube the only time I used it – I found some in Braemer at a bike hire place – and the silence from the drivetrain felt so good! I stocked up with Pork pie from the co-op, smiled at myself because whilst the next bit ahead I knew was tough, I knew I could do it – and that to be honest, I had the ride in the bag from that point – even if it meant stopping lots. I had enough food, enough light and enough mental capacity to make it from there no matter what!
The landrover track came and went, a few river crossings – a bit of singletrack along the Tilt that I was please I could still pick a line along despite being knackered, beaten up and fully loaded. That b4stard push up the steep embankment before the final long length of landrover track wasn’t even as bad as I remembered despite the weather being a pain, and even the headwind from Braemer just gave me something else to concentrate on. The light was really starting to fall as I made me way along the last bit of landrover track – the track that deosn’t exist to the last river crossing was done just after the sun had set, and then the last downhill into Blair Atthol.

Unfinished business finished – I’m so over rigid bikes, need some new shoes, my new helmet is fine for rides of up to 6 houts, but after that it hurts, the weather was crap – but otherwise everything else about how I managed myself, my head, my body and kit choice was all positive. I rolled into Blair Atthol train station a pinch over 39 hours. I’m pleased with that considering the weather and the run-up.

I wolfed down my pork pie at the train station – pedalled back to my car, packed it up and then bivvied behind the car.

Mon 16th July.

Awake and on the road by 0445, a long drive back, but I took my favourite road across the Penines that made me smile, actually stopped at some services for some food on the way home, and 490 miles later I was home and dead.

Good weekend away, glad I took the Monday off!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

From here: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 99#p134180

Bear Bones 200 - 2017 (Man Flu Recovery) - 14th October 2017

Prequel
The previous weekend prior to BB200, I had been at a wedding – it had for some reason annihilated me energy wise and my “cold like symptons” has kicked up a few gears. I had the Monday off work which I was going to use for checking my bike was ok for the BearBones 200 – but of more concern was my cars wayward handling – fortunately my warranty replacement suspension bushings had arrived so I set about changing them on the Monday…that took all day as I was trying to recover – but I had a vehicle to get me to the start in Llanbrynmair!

Tuesday I was back at work, but had driven half way and wasn’t feeling great – at this rate I wasn’t going to make it to the start line – so Wednesday was a “death or glory” ride all the way to work and back – it hurt a lot, but my lungs emptied themselves of a huge amount of mucus. I decided I’d make it to the start line! The rest of the week I didn’t get as much sleep as I should have and was waking up with coughing fits, but was feeling like I was mending!

Saturday morning, I left a 5am and drove the 250 miles to Llanbrynmair, I’d grabbed a MaccyD’s breakfast en route and had signed on by 0900. I left the Llanbyrnmair at 0943.

Kit

Cotic Soda, rigid carbon forks, 26er wheels, 1 x 10 gears (32 front, 11-34 rear).

Cockpit: Garmin etrex 30 for Nav, Garmin Edge 500 for datalogging / backup (breadcrumb & OS grid refs for use with paper map), Exposure Toro. Had an exposure Diablo on my head.

Wildcat tiger which had my lightweight sleeping bag, borah bivvy and a spare tube in it. Exposure tracer rear light cable tied to this.

2 x bottles of water (750ml and 500 ml I think).

Wildcat frame bag, this held some batteries + cable for charging my garmin, a bunch of food, and some tools.
Deuter race exp rucksack – spare clothes (paramo enduro windproof jacket, buff, headband, arm warmers), and a load more food. Also in there was a water filter just in case.

Tools: 1 x tube strapped to the frame, 1 x tube in the wildcat tiger. Lezyne pump, some tubeless plugs, tyre boot, topeak multi-tool and a leatherman skeletool cx. Also spare mech hanger and some cable ties. Other assorted things like a couple of spare spoke nipples.

Food: 1 x packet of beef jerky, some packable cheese, a block of soreen, some cereal bars, a small pack of salami and 2 x pork pies. I actually ate pretty much all of this – and would have been all of it if I hadn’t managed to get to the Elan Valley visitor centre in time!

Clothes: I was wearing were Spesh Rime shoes, lycra shorts + merino knee warmers, paramo base layer + short sleeve jersey and some short finger gloves. I wore my arm warmers too for about the last 8 hours I reckon.

The Ride

Setting off at 0943, I pootled along on roads/tracks I recognised, trying very hard to not get carried away with pace as I knew my top end wouldn’t work with my hefty cold. I gradually picked off riders and took care to make sure I kept eating. First piss stop and I realised I wasn’t drinking enough, so necked a couple of electrolyte tablets and drunk more as I went.

It started getting close to Elan Valley, and I gradually was picking off more and more riders, each time I think I very slightly upped my pace as I reckoned I could get to the visitor centre before it closed. When I saw the first sign for Elan Valley and recognised the road – I thought “great” food soon and so stopped eating….well 2 hours later up and over some ace bits of hike-a-bike and steep descents (I was finding uphill and pushing far harder than normal with the cold) I realised I needed to eat! Anyway, I made it to the café where I spotted load of boners, got s jacket potatoe and cake, and was pleased I ticked off my first hopeful goal. I also knew I should back the pace back down if I wanted to make it to the end in one hit.

I bumped into Mike at the centre, and from there we rode together. As the miles up to Carnau dawned, we gradually picked up riders and we popped our lights on. I was starting to really feel the energy my cold was taking up and any uphill or pushing was really making it’s presence known – but I could still ride on the flat and descend ok for a given energy input – which actually equalled out mostly with the group of riders we were in (from memory, Mike, Ian, Ben and Mark). As we reached Carnau (after a couple of “cor that was a bit of a push” moments), it was made a lot easier mentally climbing up and over as a group of 5 or so, I disappeared knee deep only once, but oddly there was a blinking path you could follow! I even managed to get a reasonable flow on the descent down after a couple of false starts tripping over tussocks.

From here we pootled on, the group stretched and joined a few times, then Mike and I waved goodbye as Ian and co disappeared off to Claerddu bothy leaving Mike and I to carry on. The miles ticked over, food was eaten and my back started to get tired by the track.

From here it gets all a bit blurry really, I remember some pushes, realisation of how long we’d been going, pockets of fog, mike somehow getting a puncture where part of his tyre was no longer seated – we split briefly then and did the “sting in the tail” part of the route separately for that – although my pace for that sort of thing was pretty slow going so it probably worked out ok as Mike caught me back up just as we got out. A few river crossings, my gears gradually going out of index and despite cleaning in the river…I then worked out as the feeling got worse that the freehub was not loving life. I coughed my lungs out at the closed BP station on the A44 – a nice but of mucus came out and I could breathe easier again! We pressed on, chatting random crap, saying hello at 3am to a couple of walkers outside nant syddion bothy who told us a couple of riders were only 20 minutes ahead, a section of randome fog that came and went very quickly – I can’t remember the order of these events!

Eventually we made it up to the Mountain Road – freehub just about working, an tucked in and let gravity do the work. Somehow passed AlpKenny and RichardG as he pumped his tyre up, and rolled up in Llanbrynmair at 0608.

I was drained! I went to my car, gave myself a wet wipe wash, grabbed my comfy car bivvying stuff and bivvied up round behind the centre for a few hours.

Epilogue

I’m glad I made the effort to come – it was all touch and go right up until I left home at 0500 on Saturday morning. I’m impressed my body made it through despite being well under par – but realistically I don’t know how much time that actually lost me. The weather was very kind to us which made things easier, but it was soaking underfoot. I think the route really captured the essence of what the BearBones 200 is.

Thanks go out to Stu & Dee for putting this event together, Mike which I ended up riding with for many many hours, and everyone else I chatted to. Cheers! Image

Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1232766365
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Good write up that Zip

Just read the report from our Lakes trip, made me smile, a lot! Was a good trip that, and veryw wet

Get on with the WRT write up!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Good stuff :-bd
Except for the small wheel obviously...
Zippy wrote:saying hello at 3am to a couple of walkers outside nant syddion bothy
Alpine starts in Wales?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote: Get on with the WRT write up!
Might do that Christmas time...! :oops:
Alpinum wrote:Except for the small wheel obviously...
I think bigger wheels might be round the corner, but these tyres do still have some tread left on them! I think something 650b, so still fairly agile, but with a bit more comfort for longer distance stuff. Not quite sure what I want really, just a bit more rolling and comfort...

Zippy wrote:saying hello at 3am to a couple of walkers outside nant syddion bothy
Alpine starts in Wales?[/quote]

I have no idea!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As a slightly further epilogue to this all, I think my body caught up with what I was doing and I was quite badly ill on Friday (still managed a full bicycle commute on the wednesday) and actually had a day off work and spent 90% of the day in bed. Moral of the story I guess is you can trick your body into thinking it's ok, but it will catch up with you eventually....