Bivvy a Month 2016.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: Bivvy a Month 2016.

Post by Chew »

Good to hear about people getting out.

Proper adventures and stories are from when things dont go according to 'plan' :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Kept my head down on this thread as I didn't start in January intentionally to do a bivi a month especially as my new job started the day after the winter event where I needed to be down south on the Sunday night meaning I couldn't do it this year, but my new job have given me more of a chance to do them now.
Did one in Feb in a bothy then April saw me in hospital for a few nights, so I started a bivi a month in May x3, June x2, July x3, August x2, September and October last night, see below

So, at 14 done this year and with 6 months in a row please can I join the club?
Chew

Post by Chew »

JohnClimber wrote:So, at 14 done this year and with 6 months in a row please can I join the club?
It doesn't matter how many you do in a year, it's about getting out every month.

Its traditional to start in Jan, but you can start in any month as long as it's a full set, like pushbikemike did a while back.

You've done the easier 6 summer months, persevere with the winter 6 :wink:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Chew wrote: You've done the easier 6 summer months, persevere with the winter 6 :wink:
Good point, I think I have over nighters planned up until Feb now, so if all goes well Feb, March and April will be the difficult ones
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Fantastic, it's trips like this you will always remember and of course learn from. A nice read.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"can start in any month". Oh. As is typical for me I didn't read the small print at the bottom of the terms and conditions, and thought it was Jan-Dec. I started last January and immediately missed February which was a bit pathetic, but carried on anyway. As it happens I'm probably stuffed this month due to family caring responsibilities, so maybe my next jump off point is Nov and "try harder next time".

Got me thinking: Maybe not in the spirit of the game, and maybe like the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance, but if it's hard to get monthly passes from the other half, one could do a two-nighter across the last night of every other month, eg Mar 31 + Apr 1; May 30 + Jun 1, etc. Doing just the one night Mar 31 / Apr 1, with 8pm-midnight in March and midnight-4am in April and thereby counting as March and April probably is the equivalent of tax evasion though I guess ;-).

"Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Got me thinking: Maybe not in the spirit of the game, and maybe like the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance, but if it's hard to get monthly passes from the other half, one could do a two-nighter across the last night of every other month, eg Mar 31 + Apr 1; May 30 + Jun 1, etc. Doing just the one night Mar 31 / Apr 1, with 8pm-midnight in March and midnight-4am in April and thereby counting as March and April probably is the equivalent of tax evasion though I guess ;-).
'Tis a ploy I've used myself in the past .......... so quite obviously, well within the rules :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Heh heh, thanks Stu. Right, that's a ringing endorsement from The Master in my book! I think I'll stick with the "tax avoidance" (2 nights) ploy, cos the 8pm-midnight/midnight-4am "tax evasion" scheme does seem to be taking the p1ss a bit too much even for me :-).

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

5/10
Recent chilly nights in the Chilterns and general lethargy about packing had me add the Buffalo Bag to my "summer kit" of down jacket & salopettes, then strap it all to the commuter bike, rather than pack with a bit of thought. I'd forgotten how uncompressible these things were :shock: . It was like bikepacking in the 80's!
Turned out to be warmer than last week, so there was no risk of hypothermia.
PHD Minimus down socks were toasty warm :-bd .
Breakfast time is a lot darker than it was last month. :cry:
Good job there's a caff at work :smile: .
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good effort there MP I reckon. Loving the "retro" bungie cords as well, definitely an 80s throwback :-). I really must nip up and join in one night.

Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Been a bit lax keeping this updated

September seen me cycle from Perth up to Stanley to meet up with some mates for the night. Not much miles done but beers were drunk and laughs were had

While the bb200 was on I thought I'd go and try a 200k route to get my October night out. I headed back to Fife with a loop over the Lomond's to Falkland where I decided to bail, my legs just weren't in it. Grabbed a pint and some food in my old local and then sneaked into the palace gardens for a very royal bivvy! First night out in my Hunkka and it performed admirably compared to the emergency orange bag I had been previously using. Quick cycle to Markinch for the train next morning and I was home by lunch time, stuffed the bike in the shed and buggered off on holiday for a week, braw!

That's me at 10/10 this year, looking forward to the colder months as long as I can acquire a warmer bag!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Currently out in the woods for 10/10.
First time I've used my hammock in months, very comfy.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Taylor wrote:Currently out in the woods for 10/10.
:-bd

Which one?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:
:-bd

Which one?
Green one.

Blackbird.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Still got the RidgeRunner? Used it yet?

Blackbird - positively "old skool" now :cool:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've used the ridge runner a handful of times over the blackbird but this is probably only the second time I've swung in the last 12 months.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Taylor wrote:I've used the ridge runner a handful of times over the blackbird but this is probably only the second time I've swung in the last 12 months.
You might want to rephrase that! :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jBay

Post by jBay »

Play park again?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

jBay wrote:
Play park again?
Nope
GregV

Post by GregV »

10/10 Macclesfield last night. A late ride in & a very early start this morning so I could get to work. Love the early morning rides. Even picked up a Strava PR along the Middlewood Way on the way home.
ImageIMG_9175 by Green Vegetables, on Flickr
ImageIMG_9172 by Green Vegetables, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

(officially) confined to barracks this month for family stuff, but then thought sod it the woods are only a mile up the road just calling out for a quickie (ooer missus). So chucked a few bits aboard and nipped up late last night. Saw one owl then two badgers, then bunged the tarp up, followed by a swift ovaltine (remember that?). Awoke to surprisingly zero condensation and loads of warm sunshine for an October. Sneaked back in in time to do the shopping so no loss of brownie points thank goodness. Still tinkering with the cuben tarp setup. As advertised, doesn't wet out (though wasn't wet this time anyway) and has no stretch so sticking lifter poles up internally doesn't work well, so outside lifter(s) only really. Having clarified BaM doesn't have to start in Jan (I missed Feb), I'm still OK for 8/8 and presumably roll-over into BaM2017 for Jan/Feb or something - will await Rulesmeister pronouncement as I'm old and befuddled.

"Reg"

frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

10/10 Newborough, Anglesey

Family camping, Froggy style:-

A walk-in this time, with my son, daughter and one grandson. I'll be bivvying again at the weekend, this time at Penrhos Isaf with another two grandsons that weren't able to come this time, but I've posted several bivvys from there already, so this is the one for October.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

followed by a swift ovaltine (remember that?)
I do, I love an Ovaltine when I'm out ... I even introduced Mike to its charms not so long ago, think he liked it :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
followed by a swift ovaltine (remember that?)
I do, I love an Ovaltine when I'm out ... I even introduced Mike to its charms not so long ago, think he liked it :-bd
I'm more of an Aberlour man myself! :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes thanks for that one stu, don't forget them for Nov. And yes to Blair512 my aberlour a'bundah ( this maybe spelt wrong I apologise ) is currently in transit from waitrose as its on on offer at the moment!! 35 quid :-bd