Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Re: Todays ride

Post by summittoppler »

With that lovely high pressure on us yesterday meant there was only one thing to do for me, and that wa to go up on the Carneddau mountain range in Snowdonia :-bd

Some pics and a video at the bottom....

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRkA76ND ... crk0h00410
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Grrrravel!!

Just fitted some Nano 40Cs to the Amazon so took them for a test ride

ImageP1030796 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I think they look pretty boss!

ImageP1030822 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Four days early for the tearoom though.

ImageP1030820 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

It's s.h.i.t.e. being Scottish
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Gravel lanes, canal paths, sea fronts, hills, head winds and a 72km/h tarmac downhill
robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

Beautiful bikes and photos Johnclimber! On the last two photos, what handlebars are those, they look ideal for one of my bikes. Cheers
Last edited by robsmuddygloves on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
Where is that John?

Nice local ride for me after work, finding some new to me bridle paths in Cheshire and taking a wrong turn in a farmers field to be greeted by 6 bulls - am sure you can't keep such animals on a public footpath?

Slow puncture too but vaguely exciting sunset to go balance things out
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Are you sure they were bulls? It's rare to have two in the same field.

Generally, beef breed bulls may be in a field with a right of way so long as they have a retinue of cows with them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

All had horns and weren't highland cattle. The standalone bull was massive, almost like a statue in the setting sun! Was watching me all the time and when I retraced my steps and followed the fence line in the none bull side, they all bar the big bastard chased me :shock:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Out on the Amazon with the Nanos again

Image20170329_144156_Richtone(HDR) by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Still feeling fast.

Spring has returned though. A drop in temperatures and a light shower - preceded by that wonderful smell, petrichor.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Highland cattle aren't the only breed that have their horns left alone. Most breeds are "polled" when young so that their horns don't grow (has to be done before about six months of age otherwise you have to get the vet to do it), this is so they are easier to handle.

Like I said, any bull out in a field will be of a beef breed rather than dairy, in fact any bull of a recognised dairy breed is expressly forbidden from being put into a field in which there's a public right of way. The other main restriction is down to the farmer - if they consider the animal to be potentially dangerous then they should not let it graze in fields where there's public access. Beef bulls must be accompanied by cows or heifers.

It's usually cows that are the problem anyway - they are either protecting calves or just being flighty. Always had more problems on the farm with cows than bulls or bullocks.

They are generally nosey. If you stand your ground (easier said than done when half a tonne of animal is heading towards you) then they'll stop before they get to you.
Ian

Post by Ian »

An 80km ride on remote Mid-Wales gravel. I called in to Soar-y-Mynydd to reflect on the tragic news of yesterday. Never been in it before, despite "visiting" many times. It's nice. A good thinking place.
Mike included the chapel as a checkpoint in his ValleyCat ride last year, and it's a place I'll always associate with Mike.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, it's a lovely spot for a think Ian.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Needed to get out and clear the head.
In tribute to Mike, I decided to have another attempt at Mytholm Steeps after last times fail.
It climbs and winds its way steeply out on the Calder valley, then just as your legs are shouting enough it goes vertical.
Today wasnt going to be another fail. A helping of shouting/crying/swearing/gurning helped me inch my way to the top.

Then another 40 Yorkshire miles in all 4 seasons

Thanks for the inspiration Mike
ton

Post by ton »

has a fantastic ride out on my new ogre today, on lanes and tracks in the area between Harrogate, Ripon and Borobridge.
the area is full of b/w's and good farm tracks, and all nice and dry.
visited Fountains Abbey on route, and this strange place on route. no idea what it is. ace day out.

Image2017-04-01_04-04-16 by 20ston, on Flickr

essel g above fountains abbey.

Image2017-04-01_04-04-41 by 20ston, on Flickr
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

100km dressed all in black with rear light flashing.

Mike those KM's are just for you :cry:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A quick 20Km on the bridleways to the west of Saddleworth.

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Not a ride, but a long run(race). Mini mountain marathon, 4hrs in the Lakes. 20km and 1,500m of climbing. Nice way to ignore the crap of the last few days.

ImageDSC01755.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Fargo'd my way around a 120 mile loop taking in the Trossachs.
Managed to find time to stop to contemplate this fine view of Ben Lomond and Ben Lui from Loch Katrine....
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh marvellous, thank you so much God. No nice lake or mountain shots here just an everyday suburban cockup. 22.18 Tring - Leighton Buzzard. Door didn't open. Now festering on Bletchley station for 40 minutes for train back and it's blimmin' freezing and I've only got a shirt on and a Don't Be Soft sticker. Tempted to bivi in the waiting shelter and get the milk train home tomorrow. WRT lhc? I couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery ;).

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote:..station for 40 minutes for train back...
You could have cycled home in 30 :lol: .
I though "Today's Ride" is meant to be done on a bicycle, not a train :???: .
Did you set the KOM from Tring to Belchley? :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
robbie

Post by robbie »

John Climber
What bars are fitted to your bike?
Cheers
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Not a ride but a reccy walk for a potential mountain epic, the views were pretty special and i think the ride will be more of a hike a bike but not going down...

Llyn Caseg Ffraith, a bloody great spot for a camp :-bd

My 13 year old enjoying the view of Tryfan

Instagram:

YouTube:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

robbie wrote:John Climber
What bars are fitted to your bike?
Cheers
Hi Robbie they are these
http://www.ison-distribution.com/englis ... t=HBGED44K

100km with 6000ft of climbing at Llandegla (10 times up the 1st climb) in preparation for the Dirty Reivers
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went for a nice hilly ride in the sunshine in The Dales. Took the canal tow path between Skipton and Gargrave, nice and dry ATM rather than a mudfest, then headed via roads up to Hetton before heading over Boss Moor and Threshfield Moor to drop down to Kilnsey. A bit more road along the back road to Kettlewell, a bite to eat in the cafe with a couple of chance encounters with people I know.

Then up onto Cam Head - still not cleaned this climb, there's about 100m that is just too loose and steep. Drop down to Starbotton, up the road to Buckden then another steep bridleway up Firth Moor, it's just about rideable to halfway then it's a mixture of hike-a-bike and pushing to just before the top. Rather than do the admittedly excellent descent to Litton I decided to ride along the ridge, this is definitely cheeky, it's not even an official footpath but the walkers I met weren't bothered. If it's at all wet then it's a definite no-go as it's pretty boggy even when dry. Down to Arncliffe, a bit more road down to Arncliffe Cote then the last big climb over to Malham. I was just getting going on this when two bikers came down the track, the only mountain bikers I'd see all day, one of whom was Jase of this parish! They are doing the YD200, definitely picked a good weekend for it.

After a bit of a chat, it was onward and upward. I dabbed once - still haven't completely cleaned this climb. A bit more cheeky at the top to get another veloviewer explorer square then the brilliant grassy descent to Mastiles. There must have been an accident at Malham Cove as the air ambulance was flying around and there was also an ambulance and a couple of mountain rescue vehicles around. It was getting on a bit so after an ice cream in Malham it was mainly roads back home.

93Km, 1800m of ascent and a bit of mild sunburn :grin:
Jimengan

Post by Jimengan »

Hi Folks, 2nd post, first photo and i guess an introduction. Live in North Wales and my commute involves ending up Capel Curig way. Had an early meeting today and did the usual loop (any where between 16km and 40km depending on lie in or escape time) via the woods, Roman roads and fire roads. Pretty cold start, superb sunrise and a very hungry morning resulting from leaving my porridge on the kitchen work surface.
ImageGOPR0533 by bryn engan, on Flickr
ImageGOPR0532 by bryn engan, on Flickr
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Again not really a ride but it was a camp. Took two of the kids (10 & 11) wild camping. They love it tbf. Was a great evening/night in a great little spot near Llyn Eigiau, North Wales which is only 20 minutes by car and then a 1/2 hour walk. Lovely and calm through the night. they were in the Ordos 2 and I was under my tarp (still got dodgy skills). They woke up early to watch the sunrise too.

Instagram:

YouTube: