Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Todays ride

Post by benp1 »

RIP wrote:Wot sort of route did you do Ben? Find a nice cafe? There's plenty of them :smile:
Hi Reg

We did Chinley to Rushup Edge - Mam Tor - Hollins Cross - absolutely brilliant. Great ups and downs. Back up to Roman road and down Potato Alley.

I loved the rockiness of the Peaks, it was fantastic. My mate was completely done at that point for so back along reservoir to the pub for a big feed

Actually at the bottom of Potato Alley we met 2 adults and 3 kids, walking, in the dark, with a guidebook and nothing else - no map, torch, kit etc. I had nothing to give them as I needed everything but I showed them where they were on the map. They knew where they wanted to get back to but didn't want to walk on the road with the kids, I wouldn't have wanted to do that either. So they went off to walk up potato alley! Bit of a schlep, they have one phone between them to use for light but that was it. Utterly unbelievable.

Next day met lots of MTBers up on top of Whinstone Lee Tor, cracking descent from there (seriously good fun), then back along some very tame direct bits to get back to the car.

Fantastic place for riding. Considering it's only 3.5 hours away while Mid Wales is more like 5 and Lake District 6, I am planning on doing more riding there!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Glad you enjoyed it! Mam Tor's a classic obviously but gets a bit busy. Of course, you were in the far northwest bit of the Peaks - there's a surprising amount around Matlock in the southeast for example for a future visit. Would probably knock the best part of an hour off your journey too :-). I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here, sorry!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote:. Considering it's only 3.5 hours away while Mid Wales is more like 5 and Lake District 6, I am planning on doing more riding there!
It's impressive how fast you can get around the country with an early start, putting your foot down and not stopping. :wink: e.g. Stu's I can get to in 3hrs30 early AM, it's more like 5hrs30@ normal time of day.

Anyway, yeah I remember the peak district, ages since I've ridden there. It was a stones throw from Loughborough! Here's a photo from my last trip in 2011!! https://flic.kr/p/dX8kkZ
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Zippy wrote:
benp1 wrote:. Considering it's only 3.5 hours away while Mid Wales is more like 5 and Lake District 6, I am planning on doing more riding there!
It's impressive how fast you can get around the country with an early start, putting your foot down and not stopping. :wink: e.g. Stu's I can get to in 3hrs30 early AM, it's more like 5hrs30@ normal time of day.
Zip, I agree, in fact all UK family jaunts involve a pre-dawn departure. The problem is getting home, always take longer than I want it to and usualy involves an afternoon departure.

I don't think I'll bother with any trips there unless they're 2 night trips now, otherwise the ride time vs drive time ratio doesn't make enough sense.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

RIP wrote:Glad you enjoyed it! Mam Tor's a classic obviously but gets a bit busy. Of course, you were in the far northwest bit of the Peaks - there's a surprising amount around Matlock in the southeast for example for a future visit. Would probably knock the best part of an hour off your journey too :-). I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs here, sorry!
I'd not noticed that Reg, you're right - that saves 45-60 minutes. Good shout, thanks

What's it like round there? Does it have the rocky trails of the dark peak area? I really enjoyed that aspect. Makes a nice change to mud
RIP

Post by RIP »

It's a bit more pastoral it's true but none the worse for that. Might be worth investing in something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Peak-Mou ... WYSRNDYY5D. If North Peakers think it's namby-pamby compared to their neck of the woods they obviously haven't been stuck on Longstone Edge in a snowstorm ending in a twin air-ambulance jaunt (not me) like my last group trip there :wink:.

Everyone has their faves of course, but how about this taster, all on bridleways/trails: Calton Lees car park near Chatsworth - Manners Wood - Haddon Hall - Bakewell (elevenses) - Monsal Trail all the way to Millers Dale - Priestcliffe - Brushfield - Monsal Dale / Great Longstone (late lunch) - Longstone Edge - Deep Rake - Rowland - Hassop - Pilsley - Handley Lane - Edensor - Calton Lees.

Or further south: Cromford Mill - Starkholmes - Coumbs Wood - High Peak Junction - railway inclines (a nice challenge non-stop :wink:) - Middleton Top - Griffe Grange - Grangemill - Bonsall Moor - Jugholes - Bonsall - Town End Farm - Harp Edge (naughty) - Cromford.

Just remember to say "Ey up mi duck" when entering the Cromford pub rather than "Nah then luv"/"y'all right cock" ... :-bd.

PS> Obviously not implying owt wrong with NW Peaks, that's Stu's ancestral seat :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Despite it not being too far from us I've never ridden the bike on Ilkley Moor. Done lots of fell running up there but not been there on the bike. So with a fine day forecast I took the fat bike out for a spin.

This is actually a footpath and is as far along it as I went as there was a grouse shoot going on in the woods and I didn't want to get spotted or shot :oops: Would be good riding though, at least the couple of hundred metres I did was nice.

A better class of vandal in Ilkley -

Some nice moorland track

Some wet moorland track

I then did a bit of exploring around East Morton on a couple of bridleways that I'd seen on the map. The first was, still, overgrown and not very nice but the second was a brilliant old narrow packhorse lane dropping down into the Aire Valley. I was enjoying it so much I forgot to take any photos :lol: I then pedalled back along the Leeds-Liverpool canal.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went out on the skinny bike today. National Cycle Network route 85 from Port Penrhyn (Bangor) to Ogwen and back. Its the old railtrack which the slate was transported on for 250 years up until the 1960's. A great day out perfect for 35mm's!!

Image20171111_135130 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171111_133324 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171111_140453 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171111_144103 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171111_144701 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171111_144717 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171111_151401 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Someone's got herself a Stooge! :-bd

It's got a mahoosive back end :lol:

We went for a ride above Malham. This is riding up to the highest point of the Settle Loop:

Descending towards Malham Cove.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just back from a great day out in the very snowy Ochills. About an inch had fallen at home but I knew that the hills had had more so it looked like conditions would be perfect. I slithered may way along the back road out of the village then followed my usual route of back roads, odd trails and cycleways to Dollar and then Tillicoutry. I felt slightly self conscious pedalling along Tilly main street with the pogies on and generally looking like I was dressed for the artic but an hour later as I topped out at 725m it all made sense.....

Top of the track up silver glen at 550m. The freezing level was around 250 and the snow depth increased markedly at this point. There was also signs of the snow being blown about. The depth increased with height and it was clear that I would be in for it higher up. That said I managed to keep pedalling pretty much to the point I usually have to push even in the dry.

Above 650m I encountered the dreaded windslab, cause of much pain and frustration on my winter jaunts across these hills over the years. It wasn't too bad but forced a few more dismounts. A group of hill walkers were occupying the summit cairn shelter of Ben cleuch so I pushed on.

The descent was divine, the narrow trail was full of windblown powder and there were some bigger areas in the lee of the slope which were knee deep. I got that amazing feeling when you are carrying enough speed to surf through it all with a rumbling from the tyres (which sounds like distant thunder) and the sense I was floating :cool:. Carry too little speed however and front wheel nosedives and you end up doing snow angels!

After a long traverse up and down several more hills I finally got to the last peak - Innerdownie at 611m. This shows a view back along my route to a cloud shrouded Ben Cleuch. There had been quite a bit of sun though and you can't beat sun on snow!

After another blast of a descent it was back along my ususal route home just getting back as it got dark, 33 miles in 5 1/2 hours. I'm now broken....

Just before the last descent, home in the distance
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

This feels a bit like bringing a sparkler to a rocket demonstration after Phil's shots :oops:

We just had a dusting of snow in the south Dales this morning so headed out on the Puffin. Rode up from Threshfield on to Boss Moor (if you've done the YD300 it's the next to last climb) then headed over towards Bordley Farm.

I had to be back in Skipton by twelve but thought I could get a loop along Mastiles Lane done in time. The bridleway takes the obvious line across the green field on the right of this shot but there's a footpath (and quad bike track) that follows the wall visible to the left of that to end up at the same point so a bit of cheeky across the open ground and I was legal again.

The sun had already stripped most of what snow there'd been on the southern slopes so the return was increasingly muddy :cry: Given the state things were in when I got back to the car the signpost seems apt

The final descent was "interesting" as my brakes weren't feeling particularly effective :o So I took the opportunity to get some new pads while in town - £38 :shock: The rear set had worn right down but the front weren't too bad but I found that the bearings in the front hub need replacing. Oh well.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Salop was a bit brisk this morning. Ice on the lanes and just-above-freezing puddles on the bridleways. I need to ride in the mornings more often. Quite enjoyable. No pics...was too busy spinning to keep warm.

Greetz

S.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

not today but a few midweek days in wales.

A very windy and rainy departure from Bearbones Towers resulted in an, erm, interesting night ride over to Nant Rhys. Which was occupied by three guys from south wales, they had the stove roaring and had brought quite a lot of beer. They were a good laugh and stayed up to keep the fire going all night :shock:

The next day was similarly windy but with showers rather than continuous rain. I headed down to Llani for a second breakfast. Then followed a lower level route over to Rhayder to buy some supplies for my tea. A ride up through the Elan and Claerwen valley, past the masses of water thundering over the dam walls, brought me to Claerddu for my first visit.

A quieter night in front of the stove compared to last night. Friday dawned with clear skies and a hard frost on the ground.

ImageClaerddu Bothy by Ian Fitz, on Flickr

RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm well jealous of that outing Ian, those lovely low-sunlight pics are a nice payback for the 'int€r€sting' prelude. In fact I've just opened our front door, held my laptop up in front of me with that pic on fullscreen for 5 minutes and I'm actually there looking out of the door of the bothy, which is amazing!

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Another ride out at Newborough beach, Anglesey this morning. I put the finishing touches to the North Wales edition of the Global Fat Bike Day ride. And after the forecast for the week ahead looking good, a bivvy will be happening too :-bd

Image20171126_113149 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Fossilised lava pillow
Image20171126_105201 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Big bark!
Image20171126_105510 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Well I had a 1 1/2 hour window this morning at short notice, while Wifey was in Oswestry, so I set off from Rhydycroesau Village Hall, up towards pen y gwely around the back of Rhiwlas to llechrydau and back..boy was it slippy! I slithered around and amazingly only came off once, landing on my arse in a muddy puddle! - at least it was a soft landing - this was after taking a wrong line through a flooded part of the trail and completely submerging my feet in icy water - only 5 minutes into the ride.

There was a thin coating of icy snow in places and the snow was closing in over towards Moel Sych..although it doesn't show up very well in my photos taken with my cheapo phone

Imagelenny over rhiwlas by hop58, on Flickr

Imagelenny over rhydycroesau by hop58, on Flickr

Thoroughly enjoyable albeit short ride - sometimes the unplanned, spontaneous rides are among the best, finished off with sandwiches and cake at the excellent Betty's cafe at Derwen College, Gobowen.

...re the photos, perhaps there should be a new thread in General Banter "Photos you have taken in the last month which are rubbish"
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went out on the singlespeed today. Had a couple of aims: one was to grab a Veloviewer explorer square that is just off a road, the second was to visit the Hoffman Kiln at Langcliffe Quarry near Settle.

Annoyingly I managed to turn back about five metres short of the edge of the square having had enough of the semi-frozen marsh :roll:

The kiln was a better experience. It's mahoosive! About 100 metres long. Some more info here http://www.cravenmuseum.org/archaeology ... mann-kiln/, a really fascinating area to explore.

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A few pics from my ride and bivvy this weekend at Newborough...

Image20171202_162257 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171202_193426 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20171203_151950_469 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20171203_111834 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The snow seems too have missed the lowlands this time so just a dusting up high and nothing left of the dump from two weeks ago. Proper brass monkeys though, everthing was frozen solid :-bd
Easier going than my last ride int he snow but I'm still knackered....
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Not so much todays ride, but last night...a brief bimble down the lane for a beer and back home. Outbound leg was ok...the return was sketchy where the water had iced over the exposed tarmac. Much of the return was spent wrenching through the 3 or 4 inches of snow in between the black ice. Only my tracks out 'n back to show for it.
IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg (79.45 KiB) Viewed 7966 times
Greetz

S.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Met this guy today!

Image20171210_104513 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

We didn't have to go far to find the snow today. The Ridgeway nr Marlborough provided!

@philg1971 Instagram
ton

Post by ton »

just managed 6 miles outside riding. 1 month post hip replacement. :cool:
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Well done Ton :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ton wrote:just managed 6 miles outside riding. 1 month post hip replacement. :cool:

WOOT!!!!