Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

Re: Todays ride

Post by Pickers »

Pickers, those "derestricted speed limit" signs are amusing. Did you manage to hit 60 going down that track?
Hit a few rocks on the way. Probably needs bigger than 25s.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry sorry, back again! I've just noticed in your photo MuddyP that you had a rack on the back of your bike, I twigged it at the time but didn't really register it. It appeals to my sense of the absurd that we steamed round the MTB trail with a rack on! For the full effect you should really have had the panniers on as well. There's some scope here. How about having part of WRT2017 incorporating a trail centre somewhere, and we all troll round it in a line with our gear hanging off the bikes. I know last year we sort of bumped into the whatever-it-was event at ClimachX but there's further entertainment to be had methinks.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Last Sundays ride here in North Wales. After an all day binge on the beer on Saturday I dragged my sorry ar$e out for a beasting up Drum Mountain on the northern edge of Snowdonia.

VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWsskXmc3Cw&t=1s
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote:...you had a rack on...your bike, ... It appeals to my sense of the absurd that we steamed round the MTB trail with a rack on! For the full effect you should really have had the panniers on as well. There's some scope here...etc, etc...but there's further entertainment to be had methinks.
:-OBlimey Reg! I just find it easier to ride to work with my laptop on my bike, rather than my back. I didn't realise I'd become some sort of subversive anti-fashionisa :-O.

Trail centers with a rack, you say? Like Grizedale (dinner was at the Langdale Pikes)?

I tried panniers, but they flapped around like spaniels' ears... :O3
(hence the bungees)

...then filled with water.
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi P, as ever tinternet changes intent of comments :smile: . Perhaps if I'd used 'incongruous' instead of 'absurd' that would have made more sense cos quite obv there's nowt wrong with racks - I have some myself :). It was the rack on a tech MTB trail that looked incongruous. Looking fwd to our next visit - with racks, trailers, whatever :-bd. My apologies for causing any upset there. :oops:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote:Hi P, as ever tinternet changes intent of comments :smile:
:lol: It can do: that's what makes it so much fun!
No offence taken. :-bd
It's only cycling: it's not that important... :d
Pete
Gari

Post by Gari »

It's only cycling: it's not that important... :d

I say, steady on there.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Hill reps in North East Wales, it was either that or go shopping with the Mother In Law, so hill reps won :wink:

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

First proper snowy ride of the winter. Headed up to see the skiers.

ImageAllt Mor by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dry trails tonight, no mud

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Last weekends ride taking in Penrhos Isaf
VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ar8TDyMuss

BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Don't laugh!
Today my grandsons wanted to go to Llandegla. Great. But I had to call at my mums first, (5 miles) so I locked my bike to the carrier and packed my riding gear into a bag to change into. Then to Llangollen (12 miles) to get the boys. Oh poo, I'd left my bag at Mums so back to Mums (12 miles again) then to Llandegla (10 miles). Boys bikes off the rack, but not mine 'cos the key to the bike lock is on the key hook back at home. Eeeaaargh! ~X( Take boys back to Llangollen. Another 10 miles, then 14 miles home.

So 63 miles to not turn a wheel. :oops:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I can empathise

Rode bike to work planning an extended route home. Locked bike in courtyard. Worked late. Left office at 8pm. Courtyard locked by caretaker. Walked home in SPDs
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Late night bimble the other night. Loads of logging around Woburn upsets the flow somewhat.
Loads of wildlife though: rabbits; muntjack deer; an owl having a fight with something it was trying to eat/that was trying to eat it; and plenty of these fellas too.
Frog slalom :shock: : spring is here. :-bd
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

..up in the Berwyns this morning. Lovely sunny day but cold and snow in the distance on Moel Sych/Cadair Berwyn. Following last nights rain some of the trails were like rivers!
Attachments
IMG_20170302_105346.jpg
IMG_20170302_105346.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 7755 times
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

How's the Vagabond? Any good?
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Quick ride after work to Tungenes fyr (Norway) to watch the mist and rain roll in from the sea..

Image2017-03-03_10-29-17 by Dr. Jekyll, on Flickr

Image2017-03-02_07-43-56 by Dr. Jekyll, on Flickr
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

How's the Vagabond? Any good?
..so far I'm very pleased. I've not had it long and yesterday's ride was the first 'proper' ride, involving a mix of lanes and upland trails.

When looking for a new bike I was after something that could mix road and off-road and I think the Vagabond achieves that very well. Most of my riding is on quiet back lanes and trails...I'm not a racer but a plodder!. The Vagabond isn't fast on road but it is ideal for poorly maintained roads like we have around here and once it gets up to speed it's no slouch and steamrolls through potholes and debris.

Yesterday I was on typical upland welsh trails..rutted stone tracks with slippy rock outcrops and then soggy grass bridleways. It handled it all really well. It's very nimble and climbs really well. The standard Kenda small blocks are a good compromise for road speed and off-road grip (although they initially struggled for grip on saturated grass). I went down a couple of particularly rocky descents, which gave me a bit of a hammering - you've just got to pick your line..it's not a full susser - fortunately the steering is very positive.and responds quickly.

The ride position for me, is excellent - everything feels 'right' and comfortable. I'm used to bar-end shifters and the microshift units work faultlessly (front is friction, rear is indexed). The TRP spire calipers are smooth but could do with more bite..probably need some sintered pads. The frame and finish are great but the components aren't top-draw, however I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. - (although the rims are tubeless-ready, the tyres aren't - which is a bit daft !)

2 cons - you have to be careful with toe overlap on tight turns; and you have to be aware that the bars will potentially ding the top-tube in the event of an off (I've zip-tied an 'inner-tube' frame protector at the point of impact).

Plans for the future? a spare pair of wheels with nice road tyres and a dyno hub - have thought about some 650 wheels and tyres (42mm herge bois?) for road touring/audaxy type rides. Here's a close up..
Attachments
IMG_20170302_115212.jpg
IMG_20170302_115212.jpg (174.4 KiB) Viewed 7685 times
smartay

Post by smartay »

NorwayCalling wrote:Quick ride after work to Tungenes fyr (Norway) to watch the mist and rain roll in from the sea..

Image2017-03-03_10-29-17 by Dr. Jekyll, on Flickr

Image2017-03-02_07-43-56 by Dr. Jekyll, on Flickr
Suppose I/m lucky in that respect i dont have to ride to see yje mist and the rain as its like that at home :cry:
Howver spring must be on its way frog and toad spawn in pond!!
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

hoppy58 - Cheers. I've been interested in something road-orientated (but not skinny-tyred) and had my eye on the Vagabond for a while, but the decent-looking 29er's I've been interested in seem to (apparently) suffer toe overlap in my size. That gets me thinking about something with smaller wheels, like a Surly LHT...
...which makes me think "I've already got something similar, so what's the point?" :roll:

What size is your Longitude and how tall are you?
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

It's a small..I'm just under 5' 8". I don't think the toe overlap is a big deal, but you just have to be aware of it.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Hoppy58 - Thanks for that: very useful.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

.....was extremely wet......
Good practice for the Highland Trail tho'
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

A mild sunny day in the Peak today. Felt like Spring is near. Very, very muddy though.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Spent a couple of hours trundling round the Commonwealth Games course at Cathkin Braes. Have now discovered my own mortality as my son rode up a steep hill and I couldn't (twice).
BaM 2021