A Memorable Debut: Camping with Cows

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Firmo

A Memorable Debut: Camping with Cows

Post by Firmo »

I did my first bike + bivvy adventure last night. What fun I had!!

I decided that for my first ‘experience’ I ought to head somewhere relatively close to home, so I chose a lovely, familiar 12-mile route through the border of the North York Moors to the foot of Roseberry Topping.

I know it was a school night, but the forecast promised perfect conditions and I was not let down. The wind dropped as I left the house at 8pm and it became the warmest part of the day, the trails were empty, and I was glad to be out!

The first dilemma came as I approached Guisborough. I realised I had not packed any toilet paper. After locking my bike up outside Sainsbury’s I found the bloody place wasn’t even open! Rather than take a detour in to town, I opted instead to raid the petrol station’s paper towel dispenser and took off looking rather suspicious!

Arriving at Roseberry Topping, there was still good visibility to pitch. Despite knowing that nobody would pass this way again until morning, I still felt apprehensive about where to pitch. I eventually settled on a spot in a cattle field, on a bank, backed up against a wood with perfect views of Roseberry Topping.

The tarp only arrived in the post a few days ago, and I had only picked my repaired bike up from the LBS that afternoon, so this was the first time I had pitched in this manner. I wasn’t overly bothered about getting it perfect, as there was to be no wind or rain. I put a few extra layers on and settled down.

Although I have been studying the advice and help on the BearBones forum for months – nobody ever warned against camping in a field full of cows! First of all one of them pinched my handful of paper towels, so I ‘shooed’ them away. I reckon I fell asleep by 2300 but was awoken again before midnight. Three cows decided to keep making their way towards me. Not knowing if they would attack, trample or what, I kept still – that is, until they were literally within touching distance.

I jumped out, waving a jacket at them and they scarpered. Whether they thought this was fun or not, I don’t know – but we played this game (each round being 5 – 10 minutes) for an hour… then another cow joined in… then another two!

After a total of 90+ minutes of relentless ‘moo, hello, shoo-feck-off’, they granted me some space, and I caught some shut-eye.

We did the same at 0300 for a while, then again at 0430 – only this time they brought their families. This time I didn’t care, and lay for 15 minutes before tucking in to a pre-made Philadelphia sandwich (how exotic!) then packed up and was back home to make pancakes for the kids at 0630. Easy.

Lessons.
1. I was uncomfortable in the bivvy due to the bulk of the 4-season sleeping bag. Having ran a half marathon the day before I desperately needed to stretch the straight, and the only way to do this was to use the bivvy as a mat instead.
2. Don’t camp with cows.
3. JetBoils don’t come with gas cartridges. You have to buy them separate! (Idiot :oops: )

Questions.
1. I got bit 100+ times by small midges. How do you prevent this in future?
2. Why did the cows bully me? Is it because my granddad is a butcher? Is it because I threw one of their brothers in to a spag bol before setting off?

I have no idea how to insert photos, but there are some here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93541735@N07/
Firmo
d45yth

Re: A Memorable Debut: Camping with Cows

Post by d45yth »

Ha ha! Sorry, but it is funny.

Cows are always curious, you're lucky they never ate your tarp.

I learnt about midges the hard way too and have decided carrying a mosi headnet and keeping all skin covered up is the only way. Of course, you could try insect repellants...the best stuff has deet in it, it can be nasty stuff though, and can melt man-made materials too!

Anyway, I hope it hasn't put you off from getting out again. :D

Could you not tell that the cows were alien controlled robots (the eyes are the giveaway)?
Last edited by d45yth on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

‘moo, hello, shoo-feck-off’ :lol:
gairym

Post by gairym »

brilliant - plenty of 'first trip' lessons learned!

i bet you'll be making those mistakes again.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

ha ha, I enjoyed that.

Midges, I found if you keep on moving, then hide in the pub until the sun goes down, you're alright!
faddyvictor

Post by faddyvictor »

I like your tent peg substitute :)
Chew

Post by Chew »

Firmo wrote:Questions.
1. I got bit 100+ times by small midges. How do you prevent this in future?
You'll learn to spot places which will be midge friendly (probably the hard way)
Avoid any livestock - They'll just jump from them to you
Avoid anywhere damp - They like the damp, ferns are a good give away
Try and find somewhere with a slight breeze - They cant cope with any kind of wind
Keep covered up, even if its glorious sunshine
Ian

Post by Ian »

Although I have been studying the advice and help on the BearBones forum for months – nobody ever warned against camping in a field full of cows!
Priceless :D

I thought everyone just knew this?
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Although I have been studying the advice and help on the BearBones forum for months – nobody ever warned against camping in a field full of cows!

Ok, so I didn't exactly warn anyone about sleeping in a field of cows, more like a mountain range of cows!

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=10&t=238
I crawled into my bivi bag and eventually dozed off to the sound of cow bells gently ringing further down the valley. However, a few hours later I was rudely awakend by the massive full moon glaring through now clear skies and the louder ringing of the cows' bells who'd moved further up the valley. This went on for some hours, seriously disrupting my kip. In the end I slithered down into the bivi bag to block out the moonlight and muffle my ears, waking up just before dawn in a sleeping bag somwhat moistened by my condensed breath.
;)
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

Thanks for the feedback.
Lessons have been learned, but you are right - no doubt I'll be making them again!
Ok, so I didn't exactly warn anyone about sleeping in a field of cows, more like a mountain range of cows!
Hahaha!! Very nice post Slugwash - very envious of that adventure too!
Anyway, I hope it hasn't put you off from getting out again.
Certainly hasn't put me off! I used to do this as a school kid with my best mate. Except, we had one bike between us, and nothing but a duvet and a multipack of Quavers to get us through the night. Having a tarp and a bivvy is somewhat luxurious. Even my wife is coming out with me next weekend to add to/ruin the fun!
Firmo
gairym

Post by gairym »

Firmo wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

Lessons have been learned, but you are right - no doubt I'll be making them again!
ooops, I thought I'd written "I bet you'll not be making those mistakes again" but if you're anything like me you'll make 'em again and again.....
matt_outandabout

Post by matt_outandabout »

1. Cows are curious.
2. Image
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Very funny. I love the north York Moors and that's a great pic of Roseberry topping.
Cattle are very curious and can get quite excitable, I had a whole herd follow me as I cycled across a field once then one of them actually jumped the fence at the end of the field.
On a precautionary note be very wary of cattle with young as they can become aggresive. Beef cattle seem to be more placid than milk cattle for some reason and Highland cattle are the most docile of the lot.
Diplodicai

Post by Diplodicai »

The best midge repellent, believe it or not is Avon Skin So Soft mosturiser. Seriously.