Hello Winter.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Hello Winter.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll openly admit that for one reason or another (mainly another) overnight trips have been less frequent for me this year, especially those off the cuff quickies, so when Mike suggested we head out I thought it'd be a good opportunity to ease back into the swing of things. Any plan amounted to little more than 3 or 4 crosses on a map and a time / place to meet. I managed to make a bugger of the time bit by standing round a cold carpark for 20 minutes, only to then discover that Mike had spent the same 20 minutes sat inside the warm cafe next door :-bd

The crosses on the map marked the locations of something potentially interesting, namely would be bothies. After striking gold with the first and feeling confident, we set off in search of the second.

"Do you reckon this track carries on over that ridge?" "yeah, it's bound to" ... after 10 years of doing this crap we really should know better but when neither of you are known for sense or caution things can quickly get out of hand. The track did actually carry on but only for 200 yards. At which point it turned into a mixture of knee high bilberry and snow with a generous helping of blanket bog. Although we never turned a pedal, the next 2 hours were brilliant fun and climaxed in the slippiest river crossing I've ever had the pleasure of before normal service was resumed.

With socks rung out and snow, ice and water removed from shoes, we continued our quest for the second cross. It was now dark and properly cold, feet had gone through the stages of tingly and numb and had come to rest at very painful; a forest road climb became the perfect excuse for a little stroll to try and beat some life back into them. It was a good track but quickly became a narrow path before eventually terminating without warning at some trees ... There was nowt there, or at least there wasn't until an involuntary chance shiver jerked Mike's bars and cast his light across the river and through the trees. There was near uncontrolled excitement as the beam picked out an obvious roof amongst the trees. 3 minutes later we were inside and delighted by what we'd found.

It may have felt like the early hours of the morning but was in fact just after tea time. It would be a very long and probably a cold night if we stopped now. There was an option of hot food and it lay about 5 miles away but it wasn't a local pub full of farmers and lumberjacks but a posh country hotel and spa ... we elected to go anyway. We were unsure quite how welcome we'd be but by the time we left, we'd washed our socks in the toilet sink, being given a 'reserved' table in front of the stove, invited to dry our boots next to it, given some tea lights, eaten a meal, had a blind eye turned to wandering round the hotel with bare feet and we even 'borrowed' some wood from their log basket for later.

When later came and we began to pedal the bitterly cold 5 miles back to our earlier discovery, it was soon obvious that the chances of reaching it were slim because between it and us lay another structure that could provide cosy accommodation for the night. There was little convincing required from either party and by 10.30 we were tucked up and slowly thawing out.

Morning brought with it the added pleasure of donning cold wet socks but spirits remained aloft with the knowlege that coffee and a sausage butty wasn't too far away. After that, it was simply a matter of a few hills to get us back to where we'd begun ... hello Winter, I've kind of missed you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rasta

Re: Hello Winter.

Post by Rasta »

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ace that - proper old-skool tramping. "things can quickly get out of hand" :-bd. Particularly enjoyed the bilberry-snow-fest, as I'm sure you did[n't] :smile:."Spa... tea lights"!!! Well this is turning into a rom-com as well now. Did they give you a go in the shared hot-tub too?! I love it when things like your spa visit pop up out of the blue and then proceed to get ever-more bonkers and unpredictable. They must have taken a shine to you guys, and just confirms my view that normals are fascinated by 2WT's and often bend over backwards to shower goodness upon you, along with food, drink and, sometimes, their unmarried sons/daughters lord help them. Like you, absolutely lurve winter rides. From the little clues sprinkled throughout, I'm wasting some time trying to fathom out the route and locations :wink:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Just looked at mike's photos on Strava ,looks like a feckin mint couple of days
Mike

Post by Mike »

Here are a few in colour , and yes it was a cracking little trip.

Image20181121_152247 by mjc_226, on Flickr
Stu, wondering what the hell he's let himself in for :lol:
Image20181121_152301 by mjc_226, on Flickr
But we kept smiling
Image20181121_161528 by mjc_226, on Flickr
This was a steep descent to the slippery river crossing where we both got soaking wet feet
Image20181122_081427 by mjc_226, on Flickr
no comment for this one
Image20181122_125655 by mjc_226, on Flickr
slarge

Post by slarge »

Nice trip, photos make it look fun. Bloody cold though!!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Steve it was fun pal upto the part where we slipped in the river and our feet froze up. The pain was harsh but short lived as we spent probably a good 3 hrs in front or a log burner looking like a pair of hobbits with our hairy feet out. My hands and feet are still cold now as i sit in my nice warm house 8 hrs later :o
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one :-bd It's currently that nasty not really cold but colder than proper cold sort of cold :wink: I've been chuffin' freezing working above Saddleworth.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I hadn't noticed the knob in the window first time round.
paramart

Post by paramart »

nice 1can't wait for the wwb, :-bd
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Top stuff fellas. I should've played hookey.

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

'knob' - sadly, and predictably I'm afraid, that was the first thing that, er, stuck out for me in the pic.
Those twitchers can be a right coarse lot sometimes :wink:.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cock 'n balls ... probably school kids on a field trip, you know what they're like.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Even though he was wearing a bright blue hat?
Maybe every trip report should include a "where's wally?" pic.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Even though he was wearing a bright blue hat?
:grin:
Mike

Post by Mike »

:lol:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

pistonbroke wrote:
Even though he was wearing a bright blue hat.
what did you think I was talking about?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Mike, is that the bird hide we stayed in last year on the winter bivvy?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having now seen where you went and looked at the map, what on earth possessed you to go directly between the first, ahem, point of interest and the second? :shock:

I also now recognise the track in the last shot having ridden it on this year's WRT.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Having now seen where you went and looked at the map, what on earth possessed you to go directly between the first, ahem, point of interest and the second?
In large, it was probably stupidity but in our defence, the track did appear to carry on whereas the map showed it stopping ... it just didn't carry on for as long as we might have hoped. :wink:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bloody ace and makes me want to get off my arse and get on my bike right now....

Si
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes Steve it was pal but the water was so low.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Did anyone else get a Jabberwocky Mr Fishfinger on the toilet flashback when they saw this photo?
Or was it just me?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

slarge wrote:Mike, is that the bird hide we stayed in last year on the winter bivvy?
That was luxury wasn't it!

-------------------------------------

The trip looks like fun! :mrgreen:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

So you and Mike together only go out when the weather is foul?! You both always seem to venture out when it’s ‘miserable’ :lol: