YAAHTA

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

YAAHTA

Post by Dave Barter »

(Yet another aborted Highland Trail attempt).

Sadly I took my camera with me. Don't expect anything other than an ageing idiot swearing randomly at the camera. There's no grand vistas in this film and as a spoiler it ends badly. You may even be mildly offended. However, you'll at least get a bit of a feel as to why I'm putting attempt 5 off until there is a vague semblance of sun in the forecast.

https://vimeo.com/291562075
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Re: YAAHTA

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A portrayal of life in the raw, as it generally is. No use of the word horsome, no added 'supers' before every other verb and absolutely no jangly guitars :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was getting a bit teary at the end there... :sad:

@ 11:00 - the old trail is now permanently under water as there is a small dam and intake on the River Pattack for a hydro scheme. I guess Alan really needs to update the GPX.

Oh - and there is a bike shop in Fort Augustus :o
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

ScotRoutes wrote: Oh - and there is a bike shop in Fort Augustus :o
Yeah I went there. Guy was dead friendly but sadly I needed pawls, an 11 speed mech and a 29'er spoke. He promised to have them in stock next time.

All will be revealed when I eventually write it up.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I rode the Rannoch to Pattack section on Friday/Saturday. About as wet as you had it.

Oh - and nice to see the Burls in action again.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote:I was getting a bit teary at the end there... :sad:

@ 11:00 - the old trail is now permanently under water as there is a small dam and intake on the River Pattack for a hydro scheme. I guess Alan really needs to update the GPX.

Oh - and there is a bike shop in Fort Augustus :o
I think the gpx was updated this year? Alan sent out a revised one just before the event with 2 minor amendments and one was a section of trail that was underwater due to a hydro scheme.

Edit, just found the email, the two amendments were,

In the "out" track at the River Pattack hydro project there is a change to avoid part of the trail which is now underwater.

In the "back" track on the Ledmore traverse at Cam Loch I have moved the track from the beach to the vague singletrack which runs parallel to the loch.

Dave, enter the group start next year, I've only been to Scotland twice and it's been a heatwave both times :smile: I'm planning on applying again for next year so it will be glorious :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
postierich

Post by postierich »

Dave your funny as fcuk :-) bad luck fella 5th time lucky see you in May :-)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice one dave, feel your frustration pal. See u in may :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Stark contrast to the bloke we recently saw setting fire to the IoW in the sunshine. I know which adventure I'd rather hear about. And here's me flapping about 'potentially a bit of drizzle tonight'. I've just expleted my way through my entire supply of swear words in respect.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just had another viewing while I was on the bog. It was actually very inspiring (sorry Dave! sticks finger down throat :wink:). Can we have a lot more swearing next time though please.
Slightly wierd (genuine) question: does filming it and conversing with us gentle viewers help your morale? That reads like I'm taking the piss but absolutely not. If I did it (probably with a Super8 or something, being Reg) I'd sort of feel I had mates there with me. (thinking about it further, maybe that counts as 'outside assistance' however tenuous; I'd best not draw attention to that in case the purists say it negates the 'unsupportedness' :smile:)

Anyroad, 'chapeau' as they say.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Doesn't everyone converse with the outside world when riding? I do, but I don't film it so nobody hears it. Although if there's a nearby sheep/cow/fox/badger etc. then I'll direct the conversation to them :smile:

I did record a small Dave-esk piece to camera on my phone on my HT550 one morning when I was suffering in the heat and hungry when pushing up a hill, just to remind myself how tough it was and to request my friends to stop me if I forget how tough it is and go to enter again..... but looking back it wasn't that bad, I must of just had a tough couple of minutes :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Reg it is a kind of therapy, I talk to myself all the time while riding so why not film some of it. It also makes me feel that I'm not alone whilst out there, even when I am.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sean, was you missing my loving company that morning back in May :lol: And im glad its not just me that talks to the animals! I did get caught out on the YD200 last month by a guy who was sitting on a rock in front of me. I didnt see him til after id spoke to some sheep in the field ( and yes i was talking in sheep language too :oops: ) Baaa
Made me laugh anyhow, he probably thought...what a 2wat :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I'll repeat what I said on FB about this: Bloody idiot! Great video and not a nice 'record' to hold. Better luck next time Dave!

Yep a real film showing the real side of bikepacking. I think this is why I enjoy my little jaunts when I go out with no pressure.

Well done though and all the best for the next one.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Bloody hell Dave.....

That's a damn shame.

Keep your pecker up. It'll happen one day.

Si
spindicator

Post by spindicator »

That's tough. Maybe borrow a Rohloff wheel for the next attempt?
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

If there is a more appropriate image than this having watched the video, I don't know what it is.

AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Another good video, and I do feel for you having scratched on it a couple of times.
sean_iow wrote: In the "back" track on the Ledmore traverse at Cam Loch I have moved the track from the beach to the vague singletrack which runs parallel to the loch.
That makes things worse I reckon. In 2015 I 'rode' that vague singletrack (in part contributing to my later scratch I reckon), but in 2017 I rode the beach which was just sublime by comparison.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Gutted for you Dave. Good effort going for it in those conditions,must be have been a proper sub standard feeling knowing it was over. You can't let it beat you now, theres always next year .........oh and if the next attempt fails can we have a bit more swearing please :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Aww man... I think I'd have thrown my bike in the nearest loch and walked in to follow it.

Can't imagine how heartbreaking it would be to fail four times on something like that.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

It's not heartbreaking at all. I look at it as having been able to ride in Scotland 4 times and being forced to return. No great hardship there ;-)
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I watched that and thought, why do I have aspirations to ride it? :grin:

At first I was underwhelmed with the lack of swearing, nice to see it pick up a head of steam as you got started... :-bd

Ah well, I guess I’ll keep adding snippets here and there before a final assault...
Give the dirt a little room.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote:It's not heartbreaking at all. I look at it as having been able to ride in Scotland 4 times and being forced to return. No great hardship there ;-)
I wish my brain worked that way, I really do!