Trans Cambrian Way

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jaminb

Trans Cambrian Way

Post by jaminb »

First atttempt next weekend - no records will be broken (well maybe a new slowest time)

I have read plenty of threads but any specific tips? Assume it is a given that conditions will be wet and boggy

thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trans Cambrian Way

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a lot of ground water at present and rivers are swollen. Forecast for next week looks much improved so things will likely have dried out a touch. How long are you planning on taking?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Which way you going ?
west to east [ dovey to knighton]
east to west [ knighton to dovey]

Not that many shops before/after Rhayader
Water at the toilets at Elan Village and the campsite in cwmystwyth and you pass both.
Bothy at Nant Rhys

Personally if was doing it east to west i dont think i would do the sunken road [ rhiwnant to the dam] as it just looked like you were making things purposely hard compared to using the road [ and it was dry when i did it and downhill]- then again much of the route seems like it is done to make distance rather than for practical reasons.
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

thanks both

planning a leisurely 3 days - Knighton to Dovey

Is it getting close to freezing in the evenings Stu?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it getting close to freezing in the evenings Stu?
First frost was actually in Aug :wink: Yep, if it's not raining then it's going quite cold at night. Probably still a few degrees from freezing but you won't be too far off in some of the sheltered valleys.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jaminb

Post by jaminb »

The TCW beat us. My friends were in too much pain to complete the official route and we ended riding the last third on day two and three on the road. We also paid for official camping at the campsites in Rhayader and Llangurig.

However everything else was great. The route is stunning; the conditions were better than we could of hoped for at the start of October; we recognised some of the route from our only WRT attempt; my navigation was almost perfect; my gear was perfect; the live band in Rhayder; the taxi service back to Knighton; and the well deserved lamb mega burger at the White Lion in Mach.

But best of all we will be back to try again - hopefully summer next year with longer days and lighter packs.

Hats off to those who can complete in sub 24 hrs - you really are incredible athletes with a steely determination.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147112040 ... res/3zfrc0