Not the Isle of Wight Festival

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Not the Isle of Wight Festival

Post by sean_iow »

So far this year I have been focused on racing but having finished the HT550 I felt it was time for a more relaxed trip. Previous bivi's this year had just been part of training rides but now I feel I can relax and enjoy the ride. As the wife was going to the festival I would have the weekend to myself. As a local she wasn't camping but would be home late each night so wouldn't miss me. My original plan of a weekender starting Friday fell through as I didn't have the new bike finished in time. In fact I nearly didn't have the new bike finished at all due to a few issues, I even had to ride to the LBS to get a part on the Saturday morning and as I had already taken my mtb apart to donate parts to the new one I had to ride the road bike, with gears :oops: Not sure these are a good idea as they just make it hard everywhere, at least on the ss I get to recover on the flat bits :smile:

I ended up setting out at about half six Saturday evening with the aim of a pub for dinner then a bivy on the downs.

Proof that I can stop for a pint on a ride - for the benefit of those I rode with in the HT550 :wink: I also had a very nice curry and got to eat it admiring the bike, who could want for more :grin:

Some cheeky riding on the coastal path brought me to the seafront. I stopped and chatted to a chap walking his dog, an old boy of I guess 60 and a touch portly. I thought he might mention that I shouldn't be riding on the footpath but he actually wanted to tell me how he'd just bought an ebike so could now get back out riding after 30 years and described his loop which considered of just about all footpath :lol:

Not a bad sunset, I had to lift the bike over the railing to get the picture and then lift it back. The section of sea wall beyond was damaged by landslip a few years back. The footpath has been diverted inland across the slip. The new path is basically a gravel road which might explain why it too years to fund. In the mean time the locals had just been walking over the slip and a new 'path' had been created anyway.

I found a nice spot in the grass to bivi and it was also just about flat. The moon was so bright I didn't even need a light on to get set up which was nice and also helps with the 'stealth' aspect as over here nowhere is very far from civilisation and lights attract attention. I could hear the festival from my spot even though I was some 6 miles away, although it was just a dull noise and I couldn't work out what the songs were. I could of course have paid £160 to camp with 40,000 others in a field but I think my choice of solo and free was the better option.

I was behind an earth bund which also hid me from the track. In the morning I woke up at about 4:30 and it was nearly light. My bivi was a bit damp from the dew so I thought I wait until the sun came up and dried it off and warmed me up. By 6:20 it still wasn't sunny so I eventually got up anyway only to notice the problem. The earth bund put me in the shade, it would have been midday before I was in the sun :lol:

Note the sunny ground only about 15 feet from where I was #-O I was packed up in 20 mins and on my way. It was turning out to be a nice day again which considering the festival was on was quite remarkable.

Taking my new relaxed attitude to the max I stopped on the way home for a brew, trusty bb stove on duty again. Set up on the track as everywhere is very dry at the moment. A coffee enjoyed with a croissant I had brought with me.

Taking the long way home I was back for 9:00 and breakfast. I had 2 massive bowls of cereal, I seem to have a much bigger appetite post Scotland but I'm not getting any heavier? About an hour later the wife suggested we head out to the cafe for breakfast, so breakfast number 4 of a full fry up as well :-bd
A leisurely 50 miles made a nice change. I also seemed to have hardly anything with me and the bike only weighed 36lb including water/food and all my kit? I know the new bike is lighter and I left the tarp at home but even so I don't know how it ended up so light, but I'm not complaining. Perhaps packing in a hurry make TLS easier as there's not enough time to gather too much stuff up from the various storage locations.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger