West Highland Way in a Day

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

donaldbmcintosh

West Highland Way in a Day

Post by donaldbmcintosh »

I know the WHW has a long history in this forum, but thought I would add my own experience this weekend.

https://www.donaldmcintosh.net/blog/westhighlandway

Have been wanting to do it for years, so finally bit the bullet. And yes, the upper Loch Lomond stretch is a nightmare. But actually, and cannot believe I am saying this, is outweighed by rest of the route which is mostly rideable. Well if you ignore most of the uphills etc. Cannot complain though, it's a walking trail first and foremost so you just take it as it is.
AlasdairMc

Re: West Highland Way in a Day

Post by AlasdairMc »

I was one of the three bikers going the other way (I was on the Jones). We’d started in Inverness that morning, done the Great Glen Way, and then two of us finished in Glasgow on Sunday afternoon going through the night, the other pulling out at Balmaha.

I wasn’t too impressed with the ‘improvements’ to the Devil’s Staircase, losing time (and a load of sealant) on one of the square-edged drainage ditches when it cut two holes into my tyre.

Well done for completing it, especially in that time. I took just over 21hrs going North to South.
donaldbmcintosh

Post by donaldbmcintosh »

Ah yes. I remember we had a quick chat. Well done on doing the "double" all the way down from Inverness... that is well impressive in 21 hours. You probably went down Loch Lomond side in the dark?!

Yes I know what you mean about the drainage ditches. A lot of them are that awkward width, too wide to safely jump and just a pain to stop at each time and step over with bike. I have had punctures on that section once before ages ago but got away without any this time.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

My time wasn’t that impressive - 31:06 overall, but 21hrs on the WHW. We were lucky with the Loch Lomond bit because we paused for 15 mins just before the start of the carry at around 3am and were in good light after that.

We were in pitch black from about Tyndrum to Beinglas, so really not much at all.