Dales Wanderings

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Dales Wanderings

Post by whitestone »

With all this unusual warm weather seemingly not about to end we decided to head up to the north western corner of the Yorkshire Dales utilising bits of the Pennine Bridleway to head north and then bits of the YD300 for the return. With the long daylight hours and also needing to head into town early morning it was nearly 11am when we set off.

*warning - picture heavy!

Road to Gargrave then Mark House Lane to Bell Busk

After that it was a long climb up on to the high ground above Malham and Mastiles Lane. Goredale Beck was very low ...

A bit of road then drop down to Helwith Bridge. The bogs above this bit have been filled in :-bd

On to Horton and a cafe stop

Then it was up the rough lane to join the Pennine Way for a stretch - this bit is technically footpath :???:

Past Calf Holes and Ling Gill up to Cam High Road, this would have been Chew's grand reveal of Ribblehead viaduct on the winter bivy ride except that there was 10 metre visibility then!

For the rest of the day we were following the PBW. This is the descent from Cam Head

We sort of got held up by a very young girl riding her bike down the track being followed by her dad, the farmer.

Then up on to Wold Fell

This then drops to the top of Arten Gill before contouring around the flanks of Great Knoutberry Hill high above the Settle Carlisle railway.

Then it was a blast down the Coal Road, recently resurfaced to get tea at the Moorcock Inn. Last climb of the day up onto the High Way started at this bridge

I'd only been down this so wasn't sure how ridable it was but a bit of grunt and it's all doable.

We settled down a short distance after Hell Gill (you wouldn't want to be the one to go and get water from this one :shock: )

Then it was just a case of waiting for the three hours of darkness

The following morning it was on to the Water Cut before dropping down to the valley

The climb up the other side on to Wild Boar Fell is mostly a push. Having done it I won't be rushing back, there are better ways to finish the PBW when on a bike - head up to the ruins of Pendragon Castle and there's a better BW to Kirkby Stephen.

There's a big descent on the other side but doubtful that it's worth the push up. Great views over to the Lakes though.

Then it was down to Sedbergh for a late breakfast. We did the return leg of the classic Bowderdale Loop. This has some brilliant natural singletrack (but Cath doesn't particularly like it)

After Sedburgh it was over to Dent and ice cream before the next big climb up on to Great Wold.

A bit of road from Ribblehead before picking up the PBW again over Sulber Nick. We even managed to find some water!

We then dropped down in to Wharfe and had afternoon tea at the cafe in Feizor before the penultimate big climb of the day out of Settle. There's a "route" back that begins as track then becomes a permissive ROW before ending in the middle of nowhere and continuing as a footpath. We've always ridden the continuation anyway.

A quick shandy in Gargrave then the last hill to get home.

A total of about 180km and 3600m of ascent.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Re: Dales Wanderings

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
My folks no longer have their caravan in the dales and I really miss going down there....
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

That looks crackin’ :-bd
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Looks grand, has also reminded me I haven't done my June bivy yet! :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Yep, looks like a grand ride out. Looking forward to my first trip in that part of the country next weekend.

Have to ask - did you buy your frame to match the BB jersey, or nobble Stu to make it in matching green?

Very smart looking!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Yep, looks like a grand ride out. Looking forward to my first trip in that part of the country next weekend.

Have to ask - did you buy your frame to match the BB jersey, or nobble Stu to make it in matching green?

Very smart looking!
Pure chance on the frame colour - I can't remember what the alternative at the time was.

I'll be down at the group start on Sat AM.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

That's great to see how dry it looks up there.