Borders 350/220 spot track links.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PJG

Re: Borders 350/220 spot track links.

Post by PJG »

Hi Ray,

Yup, as per FB, the three of us crossed the finish line in unison a little before 10pm Tuesday. After sharing pretty much the entire ride, it seemed like the right way to finish. Riding together was not intended, but our pace was very similar and that's just how it worked out.

Route was awes0me and tough in equal measure, ground conditions were near perfect but the heat and humidity of the first two days were pretty intense.

Hopefully I'll find time for a longer write up soon.

Thanks again, Pete
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Pete, during my ride I checked your spots whenever I was refueling and could get a signal then watched all day Tuesday at home. I knew it was close and when I saw all your spots together at The Three Brethren it made me smile to think that you would all cross the line together, that's pure sportsmanship, a rare thing these days. A fantastic effort from all of you. So glad you all enjoyed it despite its toughness. I look forward to your write ups.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Howard Perkins now finished. 4 days, 8 hours, 35 minutes. Well done Howard.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Well done all
(I'm sick as a pig....)
Howard

Post by Howard »

htrider wrote::-bd Well done all
(I'm sick as a pig....)
Thanks Phil. You definitely did miss out on some exceptional riding conditions - almost every "bog" was rideable. Not without it's drawbacks though - I ran out of water on Sunday (and I was carrying 3 litres) until I finally found a stream I was prepared to drink from, and last night I found a perfect camp spot and couldn't get the pegs in so had to move on (and as for finding ground soft enough for my plastic trowel :shock: ). I was also quite unprepared for how hard it was - so from your knee's point of view you definitely made the right decision. Still - it would have been good to see you battle it out with the Three Brethen :lol:
Howard

Post by Howard »

Anybody any news whether Adrian finished today? I was with him yesterday at the cafe at Ingram, and he'd just planned to get over the Cheviots and stop (he started from Kirk Yetholm on Tuesday morning), then finish today. If that's what he did, then today would have been a long hard day! Or maybe he passed me again this morning before I got up.... (without stopping to say hello :lol: ).
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Howard wrote:Anybody any news whether Adrian finished today? I was with him yesterday at the cafe at Ingram, and he'd just planned to get over the Cheviots and stop (he started from Kirk Yetholm on Tuesday morning), then finish today. If that's what he did, then today would have been a long hard day! Or maybe he passed me again this morning before I got up.... (without stopping to say hello :lol: ).
I've not heard anything as yet.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

OFFICIAL FINISH TIMES
Borders 350 - 3 days 13 hours 45 minutes, joint first finishers - Rob Andrews, Pete Gretton, Freddy Tanner. These guys did not plan to ride together but found they had very similar paces so did something I'm very proud of them to have done, they decided to cross the finish line together. True sportsmanship and a rare quality in this day and age, well done.
Fourth fastest time - 4 days 8 hours 35 minutes - Howard Perkins.
Fifth fastest time - 4 days 12 hours 15 minutes - Adrian Baskerville.
DNF - Mike Hampson, aggravated a back injury on day one.

Borders 220 - 2 days 12 hours 45 minutes, first finished - Thomas Phillips, well done.
Second fastest finished - 2 days 14 hours 45 minutes - Raymond Young.
DNF - John Pagan, Mark Malcolm - riding together, major sat nav issues so ran out of time.
Last edited by Ray Young on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one Howard, just back from a torture session (aka physio) on my IT band so knee should be playing ball in time for the YD200 (which looks a breeze compared to the B350 :mrgreen: )
I'm actually really relieved that a bunch have people have done this as it was starting to take on the mantle of being impossible (apart from by Ray of course). Will look forward to doing it in the glaur and the rain next year :grin:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Just got an email from Adrian Baskerville to say he finished last night so his time has now been added to the official finish time post.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

PS. Forgot to mention the fastest times for both events set this year are the current fastest times, :-bd .
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:I'm actually really relieved that a bunch have people have done this as it was starting to take on the mantle of being impossible
Not as relieved as I am Phil. I was beginning to wonder if this event would ever take off but with some more finishes (and hopefully some stirring write ups) I'm hoping it will set the ball rolling for future solo and group attempts.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Ray Young wrote:Just got an email from Adrian Baskerville to say he finished last night so his time has now been added to the official finish time post.
Well Done Adrian - it was great riding with you on Tuesday morning. Looking forward to hearing where you stopped on Tuesday night!