Verdon to Ventoux

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rasta

Verdon to Ventoux

Post by Rasta »

Just done a sunburnt trip from the Verdon Gorge to Mont Ventoux. France.
The day before, there was a 2" snow dump. The next day it was sunny. Strange weather in the mountains! I was too impatient to wait, so I set off at 7pm and did some night riding.
Image20180415_190321 by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

I didn't have a tarp or bivi so I was amazed to find a shelter by the side of the road. I think it might have been a renovated charcoal burner.
Image20180416_100327 by Hola Siesta, on Flickr
Image20180416_090644 by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

The next day I cycled on to Sault and camped in the forest at the base of Mont Ventoux. My early start to get up the mountain was delayed when I found a tick in my bedding. So spent the next hour doing a self cavity search. No picture of that, sorry!
Image20180418_184559 by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

The climb was through some really nice forest but the 'Sault climb' (there are 3 different ways up) was a bit too easy and I missed the hard challenge of the 'Bedoin climb'. I hope to do all 3 in a day later in the year. But that is roadie talk and probably won't be appreciated here.
Image20180417_122324 by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

It was my 4th summit and I have always had amazing weather. Which is very lucky. I took all my bivi gear with me, so I was overtaken by a few riders. That hurt, as it doesn't normally happen.
Then it was time to head back to Verdon. Stopping in a football pitch hut on the way.
Image20180418_073524 by Hola Siesta, on Flickr
Image20180418_184430 by Hola Siesta, on Flickr

Considering the big snow dump the day before, the following days were perfect, apart from being sunburnt to a crisp.
jameso

Re: Verdon to Ventoux

Post by jameso »

Wonderful ... good report. Such a nice area to ride. I've ridden that road in the top pic, a long time ago. Spent a lot of time by that lake in the last pic also. But I've still not made it to Ventoux so thanks for re-igniting that particular flame. Looks cold up there!

What's that lower seat pack?
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

The bag is a backpack side pocket. I tried a seat bag but the weight was too high for my liking (64cm frame).
Top of Mont Ventoux was hot - if you stayed out of the wind.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Looks ace, very jealous! Had my first foreign climbing trip as an 18 year old in the Verdon 30 years ago this summer! Sadly never been back :cry:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Great stuff!