Wildcat100, sunshine and blue skys

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Wildcat100, sunshine and blue skys

Post by Mike »

So with two days left of my 4 off and with the weather looking fantastic i decided on Ian B's Wildcat 100 loop. Now iv done this twice before however iv never completed it as its original route. Iv always cut corners or just not bothered with some of those really windy bits and there are lots! Heading to Llanwrtyd Wells on wed night i parked the van in a stunning spot to wake to a really cold morning but full sunshine. I headed south on route around 11am making into the first forest. This section is 25 miles long before you finally cross the main A road and start heading North. There is a lot of climbing in this first section but the scenery is stunning and i was touching on Big Bear terrain. The BB route runs straight through this forest and follows some of the route. At this point i was wishing i had more time off as the conditions were perfect! the trails were bone dry, rock hard and fast. The last few days would of been brill to have had an attempt at it. Anyhow back to WC100. I got to Llyn Brianne around 3.30 with the sun still high but by now a head wind had been playing havoc with me for the last 2 hours, my legs were also feeling it after only 40 miles. I put it down to the temp as it was chuffing cold and my legs were working overtime to keep warm. I briefly stopped at Soar y mynydd for a sandwich before the only push of the route. Anyone having done this will know its steep and loose. The track has been refilled at some point and is now pretty much unrideable most of the way to the top. A quick natter to the farmer on his quad and i was off. The track down has now been repaired however already started to disintegrate again due to water run off. Outside Ty n y cornel i pondered on a 14 quid bed for the night but it was only 5.45 way to early to stop and not far enough in. I was getting a lot colder now as the sun had gone down, i now made the decision to aim for Moel Prysgau bothy for the night as the though of sleeping in my bivvy bag at the side of the trail was not exciting me anymore. I had to keep shacking the water bottle to keep it from freezing into a lump of ice so i could drink. 62 miles in i had made it to the bothy, now im thinking i hope its quiet i am knackered and need sleep. Walking around the front there were no lights on inside.....yes i have it to myself!! I got the fire going and changed into to my sleeping stuff made lashings of coffee and eat everything i had that was rationed for the first day. Morning came with yet more blue skys and full sun. I got on the move at 9.30 and made slow progress for the first hour due to the wind. Christ was it windy up in the forest. The day was full of big climbs the second of which was a tarmac climb up into Bryn Mawr. I will say at this point that there is so much felling going on in all the forests in this area that the trails are closed off during the week so weekends would be best as i only passed one guy working friday and no one at all today. The trails in places are so messy from the trucks but as it was so cold were no problem as it was frozen solid. Abig climb up from Llyn Brianne and i came across a log hut on the side of the hill which i just caught the roof in view as i climbed so had to stop and have a nosey. Climbing down amongst the felled trees i stood outside in ore of the place, it was fab. Inside i noticed a lot of polish bottles of grog?? I had to try the honey liquor...mmmmm its nice. This would make a great spot for a night out. I was making for good time now and hoping to be back at van by 4pm. More monster climbing followed and lots of it. I rode down the valley to Abergwesyn, which in itself is stunning only to pass two hotties on fat bikes climbing up. My last climb for the route started at a carpark near a river and a picnic area so i thought i have a brew and finish my food off. Damn my stove the ignitor has broken and i wasnt carrying a lighter so just food then. This climb went on for ages, or was it that my legs were spent and my body really feeling tired. A fantastic down out of the forest ended what is a great route! If you havent done this route i can defo recommend it, but choose your time as it would be horrid after a wet spell. Its 106 miles and about 12,500ft of climbing and well worth every min of it!! Cheers Ian for putting together a great route :-bd

Sorry a lazy link to my pictures here on fb

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 1385caa428
Last edited by Mike on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Wildcat100, sunshine and blue skys

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

pics to follow
...... and paragraphs please :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes but he talks without paragraphs or fullstops :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Mike, Bearbones' answer to Jack Kerouac :-bd
Sounds like a grand trip, frozen forest roads are great, until you get cross rutted.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Sounds like fun. Has anyone got a Gpx for the route?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Chris I can send you the route if u send me ya email.
Iike stu says....No need for paras or stops. Just roll it off the tonge :lol:
Duncan, I got caught a few times by em they send ya flying if u r not careful
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Yes but he talks with paragraphs or fullstops :wink:
Shouldn't that be "without" paragraphs or fullstops.

Pushbikemike and I met him once at the WRT when he was known as Yetiman on here, he was henceforth nicknamed Chattyman :wink: .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It should Ray, now amended.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:It should Ray, now amended.
Ammen to that.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ammen to that.
Yeah, yeah and a second time :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I rode down the valley to Abergwesyn, which in itself is stunning only to pass two hotties on fat bikes climbing up.
Far better than passing two fatties on hot bikes. :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

duncan.. :-bd

Iv added a lazy link to the original text to my pictures, apologies im still tired
Matt

Post by Matt »

Like!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That first pic looks like you've got a friggin mahoosive front disc.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Sounds ace Mike.

Duncan... very good.
Mike

Post by Mike »

It is Duncan, I'm taking to extreme down hilling bike packing knarl fest ;)