BAM March

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

BAM March

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just wanted some input on what BBs think of my March (will be my 2nd BAm as planning to do my first for this month) BAM hopes. Any input or criticisms/comments will be nice.

Will set off with either a bivi bag and phd sleeping bag I bought off IanFitz (obviously everything else too). Tent is an Alpkit 2 man Jaran and weighs around 1.8kg or the bivi is (still heavy at) around 1kg... I'm thinking bivi as its more packable and I want to be able to cover distance so slightly lighter!!??

The route will make its way to a meet up with some buddies in Nottingham and the bivi is planned somewhere around middle of peak district but am hoping people might be able to ppint out any decent enough spots closer to the road (on the road bike)...

The route is roughly 140 miles with the first 90 miles having 7000ft if climbing... It will go via Halifax and up Cragg Vale. Then towards Stockport via Rochdale and skirting around Manchester along the A6010. Hitting Macclesfield I plan to ride the Cay and Fiddle into Peak District. . Then past Harper Hill near Buxton and after being spit out of the Peaks on the East section near Eyam or Bakewell I will traverse down towards Nottingham for (hopefully a nice cooked meal).

Any thoughts on whether you guys think Im2being daft trying it over 2 days only and any other advice/suggestions...

:-bd
Chew

Re: BAM March

Post by Chew »

redefined_cycles wrote:The route is roughly 140 miles with the first 90 miles having 7000ft if climbing... It will go via Halifax and up Cragg Vale. Then towards Stockport via Rochdale and skirting around Manchester along the A6010. Hitting Macclesfield I plan to ride the Cat and Fiddle into Peak District. . Then past Harper Hill near Buxton and after being spit out of the Peaks on the East section near Eyam or Bakewell I will traverse down towards Nottingham for (hopefully a nice cooked meal).
Unless you like particularly like post industrial northern decay, there are much better places to ride.

From Dewsbury, I'd be heading up to Pole Moor and then dropping to Denshaw. Then down the valley to Uppermill and Stalybridge.
Can't really help once you go further south, much imagine there are much nicer ways across the Peak on quiet roads.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Cat is a horrible road and even worse on a bicycle ... but it probably is your most direct link between Macc and Buxton. You could use the 'road' off the Cat down into the Goyt valley (slightly cheeky as you'll be riding against the designated flow but you'll usually be fine). In to Whaley Bridge, then pick up the back road off Elnor Lane which will drop you out on the far side of Long Hill and you're nearly in Buxton. It'll add miles but be much safer / pleasant.

As for bivvying in the Peak. You shouldn't have any problem finding a spot just off the road to lie down with a bivvy bag ... tent will be much harder.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Thanks guys..

Chew. Reason why i need to go up towards Stockport is cos its partly a 'recce ride' for the khalid bin walid challenge which I'm running with some mates in May. Its 24 hours and steep as i could make it without anyone crying. 200 miles and 13000ft of climb. Hence first climbs are via Halifax and Cragg Vale then Cat/Fiddle. Willlink the route below so you guys might be able to give suggestions of getting away from main road traffic and into nice country lanes as much as poss..

Stu... point taken and i will just carry the bivi bag (need to invest in a lighter non military grade one when i find one thats affordable !!) and take a couple ofnaps when needed...
redefined_cycles

This is generally the line i will be following until leaving Peaks... feel free to suggest another line as long as it doesnt reduce the elevation or mileage tooo much!!!

https://www.strava.com/routes/11125416
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From looking at your map, the obvious route to me would be, Stockport - New Mills - Whaley Bridge - Buxton ... easy to connect them via quiet(ish) lanes.
redefined_cycles

Sweet... Stu. You might just have changed the course of history. Will see if i can get some good graded climnbs in and a few shops/villages enroute so the riders (and me on the BAM) can fill up...
Chew

Post by Chew »

No way you'd fine me riding on the A6010 around Manchester or down the A6 to Stockport. It'll be grim and dangerous.

Similar distance, a bit less climbing but generally a pleasant route.
https://www.strava.com/activities/992644206

If you want a real challenge for something to complete in 24 hours have a look at this. I may be having a crack at it this year
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-933/

Or if you're at a loose end this weekend
https://www.facebook.com/events/149631459055934/

...I need to get out off-road more......
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Chew's right, the A6 is dire but easy enough to bypass both Stockport and the A6.
redefined_cycles

Thanks guys... like I said. This BAM was gonna be a stone for two birds and check yhe route is ok for the main ride too. Main ride is all set and just the weaking of the route.

Will take the advice on board and do a few edits...
redefined_cycles

Just took thw advice and have edited a bit... you can also see the last half of the route... let me know if there is still roads that you think would be too dangerous for traffic or full of lights (that you know of)... As before I tried to use the Strava glibal heatmap to build/edit thw route...

https://www.strava.com/routes/11125416
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Still got the A6 out of Stockport - that's probably the busiest stretch of the A6. Two lanes each way full of lights, junctions, shops and half asleep idiots.
redefined_cycles

Oh. Sorry. Sent wrong link Stu...
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote:Oh. Sorry. Sent wrong link Stu...
Here it actually is... the edited version

https://www.strava.com/routes/10888397
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

You've still got a chumk of grim, busy A roads round the east of Manchester in that. That stretch from Oldham to Stockport is pretty nasty.

There are miles better roads to the east which just skirt the west of the Peak District - something like this https://www.strava.com/routes/12079337 lets you go through Mossley for shopping, and includes some better, much more "interesting" climbs.
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote:You've still got a chumk of grim, busy A roads round the east of Manchester in that. That stretch from Oldham to Stockport is pretty nasty.

There are miles better roads to the east which just skirt the west of the Peak District - something like this https://www.strava.com/routes/12079337 lets you go through Mossley for shopping, and includes some better, much more "interesting" climbs.
Thanks for that. Thing is, I don't wanna add anymore climbing as the riders would shoot me. Thanks for that input regards traffic around that stretch though. So long as its not too dangerous or bikes aren't allowed, they should be ok as by that time they'll still be pretty fresh hopefully... i will try giving ur route a shot myself though...
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote::-bd
Thanks Stu
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

redefined_cycles wrote:
In Reverse wrote:You've still got a chumk of grim, busy A roads round the east of Manchester in that. That stretch from Oldham to Stockport is pretty nasty.

Thanks for that. Thing is, I don't wanna add anymore climbing as the riders would shoot me. Thanks for that input regards traffic around that stretch though. So long as its not too dangerous or bikes aren't allowed, they should be ok as by that time they'll still be pretty fresh hopefully...
No worries. Understand about the climbing. Just had a play with my version to see if it could be flattened out a bit....
i will try giving ur route a shot myself though...
but should probably have read that first :lol: :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

How about NCN 60 Droylsden area down to NRN 6 round Reddish - old railway to Portwood & Stockport - B6104 - Bredbury - NCN 55 - Goyt Hall - Marple Dale - Rose Hill - Middlewood Way to Macclesfield - Langley - Macc Forest north side (loads bivi spots) - Charity Lane - Bottom Of t'Oven - Cat n Fiddle - Cow Jumped Over The Moon - River Goyt source - Burbage Edge - Buxton - Harpur Hill - A6 Kings Sterndale - Topley Pike westernmost entrance to Monsal Trail. Take that as far as you like , including Eyam detour etc if desired.

85% off road I reckon. Ace scenery etc.

Not sure this is helpful at this stage of the proceedings :wink: but it's all grist to t'mill...

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote:How about NCN 60 Droylsden area down to NRN 6 round Reddish - old railway to Portwood & Stockport - B6104 - Bredbury - NCN 55 - Goyt Hall - Marple Dale - Rose Hill - Middlewood Way to Macclesfield - Langley - Macc Forest north side (loads bivi spots) - Charity Lane - Bottom Of t'Oven - Cat n Fiddle - Cow Jumped Over The Moon - River Goyt source - Burbage Edge - Buxton - Harpur Hill - A6 Kings Sterndale - Topley Pike westernmost entrance to Monsal Trail. Take that as far as you like , including Eyam detour etc if desired.

85% off road I reckon. Ace scenery etc.

Not sure this is helpful at this stage of the proceedings :wink: but it's all grist to t'mill...

R
Everthing is all very helpful indeed sir. I'm at the top end of the peak distrcit so any ideas about where to ride to catch a bivi (sorry, I'm a freshie :oops: ) is all good news. Thw fact that its mainly off road is all lovely news ti me but no good for the route as its 24 hour race on road. I've already included some decent graded climbs and pretty sure most of the riders (probably) hate me ever so slightly for it...

Thanks everyone...
redefined_cycles

Now. Just to change the slant on proceedings as its all very relevant... I'm thinming if doing (part of) my ride and a bivi in between in May. But today I just done a ride in minus4. Looks like the weather isnt really letting up. Anyone have any thoughts or decent predictions on what May willl hold for us weather wise!!!

Pretty concerned (I'm obviously nit as tough as you lot) at the mo as I wouldnt wanna weigh myself down with so much gear (as would be needed to keeo warm) as the pace would be too slow and I dont have more than a couple days to do this ride and be at end point (and back).

Just in case peeps gets confused. The Q is: what you think weather for May will hold in store. Guesstimates for Peaks welcome!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

I knew I wasn't paying attention properly - on road :wink:. Sorry about that. A spare BAM possibility anyway.

May? Assume torrential rain then be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't :-bd.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote:I knew I wasn't paying attention properly - on road :wink:. Sorry about that. A spare BAM possibility anyway.

May? Assume torrential rain then be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't :-bd.
Sorry. I meant "March"... Anyone good at weather predictions for a months (20th onwards) time?? :geek:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Assume torrential rain then be utterly shocked when it doesn't.