Bivvy a month 2018.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Bivvy a month 2018.

Post by ScotRoutes »

Surely, with 13 nights still available, there's no need to clutch at straws regarding the eligibility of these attempts?
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Sorry Ben...my apologies. Yes...you were there too...I was quite envious of your sleep-in on Sat. morning. And thanks for slaying us at the dartboard. That was fun. :)

Greetz

S.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

12/12, 24 in a row :-bd
winter bivvy up the mynd rounds off 2018 in spectacular fashion, proper night out with storm Deirdre for company :-bd

https://open.spotify.com/track/4gyLNOeQ ... 5WI8LnWnpg

'Deirdre' by the beach boys, apt lyrics

The trouble you had
It wasn't so bad
It's only life and what you're living for
Sit down right here
I'll send away your tears
Well we don't have to talk about it much more

Good things turn bad but it's over now
So don't look sad because you're older now
Lots of people miss Deirdre

You're back again
You still have all your friends
And they used to ask me why'd you go away, Deirdre
What could I say
That you ran away
Don't you think it's time that you stayed right near me

These nights, pretty nights, that were meant to be
With you and me
It's the way that we
Always had our love, Deirdre
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

You're right 'Routes, there's stacks of time if people are flapping. But of course the aforementioned discussion is really just a nice example of BB tongue-in-cheek banter :smile:. It's fun wittering on about the Rules when we know there are no rules.

Stevo, that's a cracking photo, could you email me the jpg please? It looks like some gory operation scene from a telly hospital programme! "oh no, the bottom bracket's ruptured and the rear tyre's got a serious gash in it, I don't think the bike's gonna make it lads"...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

RIP wrote:Stevo, that's a cracking photo, could you email me the jpg please? It looks like some gory operation scene from a telly hospital programme! "oh no, the bottom bracket's ruptured and the rear tyre's got a serious gash in it, I don't think the bike's gonna make it lads"...
My first mental caption was "How many Boners does it take to change a tyre?", rapidly followed by "Phrasing!" :grin:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Change a tyre not sure ,but I was grateful to si holding the bike and Scott holding the deraileur off so I could fit a split link ,but as reg will say it was a bit like a F1 pitstop :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote:You're right 'Routes, there's stacks of time if people are flapping. But of course the aforementioned discussion is really just a nice example of BB tongue-in-cheek banter :smile:. It's fun wittering on about the Rules when we know there are no rules.
To be clear, I'm being tongue-in-cheek too.

Still - can someone clarify how much of a bike has to be involved for it to qualify under BB rules? I'm wondering if it's enough to carry a saddle around with me on my walking and paddling trips.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Just strap one of these to your bag.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Yes Jo, we'll be running as usual next year and badges will be available to those seeing it through / enjoying every moment :wink:
:mrgreen:
ScotRoutes wrote:
littlegirlbunny wrote:Will there be a 2019 one and is there a badge?

I need some inspiration or I may as well sell my bivvy kit....and a little fabric badge normally does the trick :-bd
Do. It.

I want to drag my flabby arse away from the Highlands a bit next year so I'll be looking for bivvy companions keen to show me their patch - and you still owe me :lol:
I do, you're right! Always much better to put together a route for someone else. At least this'll mean I'll make it further than next door's field for at least one of the months. :grin:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BAM 12/12 Formby

Unusually for me, a ride out with others.

For this ride, organised by Johnclimber, I drew my fatty out from the back of the shed and joined John and this merry bunch for a tour around Southport.

The weather was Storm Deirdre, which led to some interesting riding along the Leeds-Liverpool canal. Luckily the wind was blowing across the canal and not towards it. Several times it blew me into the bushes alongside the towpath. Had it been blowing from t' other direction I'd have been swimming.

So after riding along t' cut then the beach, we eventually found the pub where we all commandeered the radiators for clothes drying and had a welcome warm-up in front of the fire. And a meal was eaten.

After t' pub, John had found us a bivvy spot in the woods where Deirdre howling across the tops of the trees while barely bothering us below.

Next morning, a play in the sand dunes, then breakfast in a cycle cafe before winding back to the start. All in all, a very enjoyable ride with excellent company. Thanks to Johnclimber for organising :-bd

So that's it for this year. Really looking forward to another year of BAM.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Yep, thanks for that Lu, reminded me that I’ve managed 12 out of 12 (did one or two more than 12)....

Did manage to get out on the fat bike this week !

To the pub 4 miles away, to meet a friend and a couple of pints and some good food, then a ride back through the woods with a very tough ascent which had me gasping for air after the beer and food ! And needed a one and half hour sleep when I got back - been up early though.

All the best everyone and here’s to a good 2019 :-bd :-bd :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:YMPARTY: :-bd :YMPARTY: :YMAPPLAUSE: #:-S :YMHUG: :YMPARTY: to everyone who got through it!

If those chaps over in Fatfighters can do stats and analyses and things, so can we! I reckon 45 contestants started, or proposed to start, the game back in January. About a quarter managed January and then stopped, having presumably decided it wasn't their thing. Another quarter got through a few months then retired hurt, and a few more missed one or more months due to unforeseen/foreseen circumstances. Some seem to struggle with Rule #6 too - "one post per month" - even amongst those who've done the full whack of 12 - whether that's a deal-breaker only the Authorities can say :wink:. I reckon 12 contestants have now ticked off December and 12/12, with 4 or 5 who have yet to do December to complete the dozen - maybe planning on an emergency New Year's Eve outing :smile:. No doubt got me figures wrong somewhere but that's the gist. Bit of work needed on Rule #6 next year then people :wink:.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

RIP wrote: If those chaps over in Fatfighters can do stats and analyses and things, so can we!
I'll pick up that mantle in 2019 :-bd :geek:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheers Chris, until you posted that I thought I was a little soft for only just scraping through another BAM,collectively we really need to HTFU
As last weekend showed the ‘hardships’ of winter trips are their own reward.
Anyone can go out for a gentle ride in the summer, drift off to sleep to the gentle sound of cicadas under a kind moon. But as in game of thrones there is always a grim northerner reminding you that ‘winter is coming’ but it’s not half as scary as on tv. I was explaining the winter bivvy conditions to Mrs BDS and with an enquiring eyebrow raised she asked “you enjoy that then”, as often she made me question my sanity.

BUT wasn’t it fun? the joy of being warm and comfortable inside our silnylon caves while winter does it’s worse is for me, like sticking two fingers up at winter.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fun it certainly was Steve! Thanks partly to you of course :smile:. Patently we're totally unhinged, but yes it's a great way to experience the passing of the seasons at close hand, as well as exploring places you might not otherwise have gone to (I mean, Workington? :smile:). Not an easy gig really, especially for those with family commitments, but it's really forced me, for one, to get out and not go gentle into that good night..... not yet anyway!
Last edited by RIP on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

"grim northerner" - who are you thinking of then? :wink:

Oh, and with reference to Mrs BDS's less-than-impressed demeanour, that reminds me of the time when Myself/Herself were in polite society (sounds unbelievable for me I know) and the bikepacking subject came up and Mrs Perrin was asked her opinion of it all. Slight pause. "Mountain biking is silly" was her succinct rejoinder. Oh. Well that's my whole life put into its place with four simple words then :lol:. I love her dearly. Mostly. The old baggage. Perhaps I'm in a minority and everyone else's considerably-better-halves think the pastime is an entirely sensible and rewarding use of their time.

PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Nope, she thinks i’m totally insane to go mountain biking let alone bike packing
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Mrs Landslide's take on it is "I think you're mad, but I know it makes you happy."
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Mrs Frogs take on it is:-

"So when are you going to clean out the gutters then?" .... Or some such thing.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Mrs Scattamah actively encourages me to get out and do it...there's no questioning the sanity at all. Her whole family are and always have been outdoor lovers...be it hiking, fishing, camping or hunting. In the grand scheme of things, I'm a relative newcomer to both her family and their love of the outdoors. Without a little shove from them, I'd probably never entered TD.

Greetz

S.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's my video from my December BAM which also fell on Global Fat Bike Day 12/12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfX8bnOurFU

If you view it, cheers :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Mrs m.a.m is more unhinged than what I am so I never get any questions about why I do whatever I do and it's been like that for the last 18yrs as long as bills are paid and kids have what they need(yes that's need not want) then there has never been any issues with any of my hobbies
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BAM 18 done :-bd
All a bit last minute thanks to a man flu induced cop out of the Scottish winter bivvy.....
Anyway was heading down to the parents this weekend so the obvious thing to do was to stop off on the way down, ride me bike, sleep, ride me bike, finish journey to parents. Kielder was the obvious option being only a bit off route so Saturday saw me take a leisurely cruise down the road finishing at Newcastleton in the borders early afternoon. Thereafter it was an easy pedal on fire roads through Newcastleton forest, past Kershope Bothy (well it was on the wrong side of the river so I only saw it) and over the hill to Kielder res. The lights went on the lakeside path which I followed to Kielder Village. It would have been rude to cycle past the Anglers Arms without stopping so went in for a jar which turned into 2 jars, a curry and rhubarb crumble. Suitably fortified I continued on the lakeside path stopping off to check out the various sculptures......

Finally ended up at Flittingford Bothy which was empty, small and perfectly formed. Got a fire going and spent a pleasant evening reading and sleeping. Next morning I was up sharp and back round the res and over the hill to Newcastleton.

Kielder is a good option for a bivvy as there are plenty of places to put a tarp / tent up, several Bothies and a few options for some cheeky bivvies in various bird hides and art installations.

Pics to be added later as it looks like yet another free image hosting site has gone TU......
Last edited by fatbikephil on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bgrunes

Post by bgrunes »

Well introduced to the idea of Bivvy a month by John Climber (Thanks) never thought I would ever get in to it or have the opportunity. Well 12/12 done last night Steak with fried rice, beer and a warm and as a special treat a visit to the 'Toby' for a breakfast on the way home. Roll on 2019 all the best to all and have a great Christmas.