The Peak District Winter, erm, bivy??

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

The Peak District Winter, erm, bivy??

Post by ianfitz »

Mark and I rode out to Hope and met Pete.

The back roads were very slippy and progress was slow. It was -4c with a gentle, but chilling, wind. I had a walking-pace wipe-out on a corner that looked less icy the the hill we had just ridden down.

We met Pete and went up the broken road, mam tor and down to Edale, plan was to stop here for a pint before onward progress. Five pints, dinner and a good natter later we were outside at -6 trying to work out where to head for.
ImageClosing time by Ian Fitz, on Flickr

Someone, I can't remember who, but I'm very grateful to them, pointed out that Pete has a fully functioning bunkhouse. So back over the hill we went. To enjoy a good nights sleep in the warm! Info at http://adventurepedlars.com/ if you want to know more...

We woke up to rain solidly drizzling away outside and fuzzy heads.

Mark and I continued the radfest-extreme #short ride by going to a cafe for breakfast before getting the train home.
Mike

Re: The Peak District Winter, erm, bivy??

Post by Mike »

Good effort fellas, sounds like a great evening and warm!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

the radfest-extreme #little ride out by going to a cafe for breakfast before getting the train home.
That's exactly the sort of attitude that will get you an invitation to join us in the Chilterns next year. :-bd
I'm just going outside ...
slarge

Post by slarge »

Sounds like a cracker, and the 5 pints reminds me of a similar event a year ago Ian. Good choice to use the bunkhouse though!
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

ianfitz wrote:
Someone, I can't remember who, but I'm very grateful to them, pointed out that Pete has a fully functioning bunkhouse. So back over the hill we went. To enjoy a good nights sleep in the warm! Info at http://adventurepedlars.com/ if you want to know more...

Can’t see any mention of the bunkhouse? :oops:

Thinking of utilising it over part of Christmas if it was open..
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Teetosugars wrote:
ianfitz wrote:

Can’t see any mention of the bunkhouse? :oops:

Thinking of utilising it over part of Christmas if it was open..
I’d not looked at the website properly. Drop Pete a message...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve got some crackinging bruises. Turns out roads are quite hard. And they bite back!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I bet! Bit slippy out tonight as well on the way back from the Norfolk Arms-nowhere near as bad as Saturday though.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Really wanted to join you, but I'm afraid my (very sensible) fear of falling got the better of me.
Had a couple of brief encounters with ice so far this year and I'm not sure I have the nerve for it at the moment
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bloody ice! Yeah just nearly smashed the van up trying to park near burbage. Iv realised that the van is sub standard on ice. I got a right sideway slide for 3m. Good job the rocks don't move! Wish I'd bought the bike now it's stunning today.