R@#$a500 prep(aring not to fail)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

R@#$a500 prep(aring not to fail)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not sure if this is correct place to post my thread. Feel free to get it moved to general banter if it isn't...

So for the final ride of the year I'm planning on doing the R#@$a500 which takes place in the week leading up to new years day. You ride 500km etc etc etc. I plan on doing a wiggly loop to see my mates down in Birmingham and going from West Yorkshire.

So I am trying best to make it a full bivvy without any B&B and leaving the tent (2 man Ordos from Alpkit which weighs 1.9kg) at home. My bivvy bag is an army issue masssive goretex affair which works well and is around 0.8kg

Reason for opening this thread is so I dont leave anything unturned in prep. First Q I guess is if anyone knows of any decent bivvy spots (on the off chance) -with some potential makeshift shelter- in or around between Retford> Licoln> Newark on Trent (I will have done around 80 to 100 road miles by this point). Then the second potential stop would be around Cannock>Telford> Wolverhampton...

Regards my gear I think I am fully sorted and will go yhrough my kitlist when I have a mo. Input/advice and suggestions into this will also be most welcome and appreciated.

Btw, its a road ride :shock:
ianfitz

Re: R@#$a500 prep(aring not to fail)

Post by ianfitz »

I don’t know of anything specific but OSM maps have shelters marked if you zoom in.

If you import you route gpx to bikehike you can have a look. Likely to be bus stops and similar
redefined_cycles

ianfitz wrote:I don’t know of anything specific but OSM maps have shelters marked if you zoom in.

If you import you route gpx to bikehike you can have a look. Likely to be bus stops and similar
Thanks Ian... Like my old uni teacher used to say, "you're a scholar and a gentleman"... :-bd
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

If your planning on Cannock have a look around castle ring or gentleshaw common there's some nice secluded spots in both , your not to far far from any roads it is Cannock but most of the youths tend to stray around the trail center of a night and the other activities are miles away so there will be no flashing of headlights at you
redefined_cycles

middleagedmadness wrote:If your planning on Cannock have a look around castle ring or gentleshaw common there's some nice secluded spots in both , your not to far far from any roads it is Cannock but most of the youths tend to stray around the trail center of a night and the other activities are miles away so there will be no flashing of headlights at you
Thanks MiddleagedMadness... after messing about with the route and thinking if the logistics of carrying bivvy stuff (ie. Carry all thw extra gear) whilst trying to cover 100+ miles per day, I've decided on this occassion of taking the offer of my buddies in Nottingham/Walsall and sleeping having a warm night indoors. I will still take my stove and the sleeping bag though.

Thanks fir the heads up regards Cannock though as its all good info and have learnt alot by just opening up this thread. Will try and do a post ride report and hopefully next year will be confident of making it a full-on bikepacking/bivvy ride...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I did this last year... and I didn't get my badge. Which wasn't the point, but was still very much the point!

So I'm sulking this year and not doing it. :lol:
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote:I did this last year... and I didn't get my badge. Which wasn't the point, but was still very much the point!

So I'm sulking this year and not doing it. :lol:
I managwd ti do the 2017 one... it was tough as took a ride from West yorkshire via Nottignham to Birmingham via Telford... it was cold fir first 2 days and not (too) nice (but very nice all at tge same time that biting cold there :roll:

I bet if you emailed them at Crikey, how much they would send you a badge regardless. Normally you have to ensure you've follwoed the little link in the Strava challene to confirm your details..

On a side note. Me 2017 badge arrived but then got lost in the post whilst i was forwarding on to a Crikey, how much loving buddy!!!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah... I emailed them. They ignored me. Bastages.
redefined_cycles

Richard G wrote:Yeah... I emailed them. They ignored me. Bastages.
Oh no...means they might ignore me... will keep updated here as to whay happens!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I did it this (last) year. I received my badge. https://www.strava.com/activities/1330367200

Actually I wrote an article for our internal Newsletter to take the p1$$ out of all these stupid race for life things etc. (I was also persuaded to!) :lol:
Over the weekend, my Crikey, how much Festive 500 badge arrived in the post; this is a quick story on how I earnt it.
The Festive 500 is a Strava challenge where you “Challenge yourself to ride 500km with Crikey, how much in the eight days between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve”. The easy way to do this is to undertake 8 rides of 62.5km every day, that’s less than the daily commute (although that’s only 5 days in a row!). However, I didn’t really feel that was for me, so opted to plan a large single loop of 500km, pack my sleeping bag, a bivvy bag and a load of food onto my bike, and see how I did.

I set off on Boxing Day a bit after 7am, within 3 minutes I’d headed back and picked up my cue sheet of distances between towns where I should be able to buy food, and then headed back out for good. My route started from home near Colchester, I clocked up the miles quite happily, saw the sunrise, it was cold, but clear. I whistled past Sudbury, towards Newmarket and stopped a bit afterwards to grab a snack – all was good. I carried on pedalling, taking in the quiet lanes, some long flat bits and some sea walls as I headed north towards the coast; by the time sun was setting, the air was getting chilly and I’d just about got as far as King’s Lynn via Ely and Downham Market. A couple of mini stops later, swapping of power sources for GPS’ and batteries, keeping myself fuelled and an extra layer of clothing, I settled in for the night shift. So far the forecasted poor weather had been holding off, and the brutal winds were just about in the correct direction to not affect me too badly.

I headed out to towards deepest darkest Norfolk for the night shift, the rain gradually started pouring; my bike computer was telling me it was about 2.5 degrees C, and it was starting to get to me. I headed along to Wells next the Sea, trying not to stop in order to keep some warmth in me, bit did stop to chat to a couple who had hired a holiday house for the festive period as they filled my water bottles up for me. By the time Wells next the Sea had come and gone, the weather was getting pretty poor – although it was pretty difficult to tell in the dark, and at least the roads were quiet at 9pm. Heading back south towards Fakenham and Dereham, I pretty much switched to “survival mode” and was doing all I could to keep moving and operating. The rain was pouring, it was dark, it was cold and miserable, and I’d normally be asleep in bed, but instead I was riding a bike in the dark, in winter, in pretty much the worst possible weather. If it was colder it would be snowing, which is preferable to ice-cold water clinging to all my clothes and making me feel like I was in a freezer.
Then salvation; I found a McDonalds open in Derehem, and without any hesitation headed straight into it. I left a massive puddle of water everywhere I walked, and my hands were so cold they wouldn’t operate – I couldn’t take the helmet off my head! Fortunately, I could get my credit card out and order some cups of tea and food whilst I thawed out and made some plans. It was sometime after 10pm, the weather was not improving, but I was 155 miles (250km) down, so that was good. An hour or so later in McDonalds, my hands were operating again, my kit that I had spent a small fortune on was coming into its own as it dried so quickly – and to be fair was doing a good job of keeping me alive. Rather than try and Bivvy out in the trees, I found a porch of a church not far from the McDonald’s to get a quick bit of sleep in – my sleeping bag had never felt so good, and 160 miles (257km) had been pedalled, 160 very hard earnt miles !

An early start on the 27th before anyone else had woken up, it was still raining, still cold , and my legs were pretty ruined – a very tight left leg and a right knee that was swelling. 40 miles later I made my way into Beccles where I sourced some breakfast, warmth and much tea. To be honest, from this point onwards it was all a bit of a blur. The weather and rain gradually let up , but the wind increased as I headed down towards Aldeburgh, then a long slog into a headwind towards Framingham and Stowmarket direction, negotiating a few flooded roads and some properly slow riding. Some alcohol with a friend later and a final 40 miles with a hangover on the 28th of December, and I made it home with a broken body (still rehabbing the kneed injury!) and a sore head. Festive 500 2017 complete, I won’t be doing that again!
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Got my 1st (and probably last...) badge after the stars aligned at home and Mrs P did Xmas dinner for the first time in 27 years.

Chris - how close were you to a route where you'd hit North, South, East and West facing coasts? Not many places you could do that in the UK mainland.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Pickers wrote:
Chris - how close were you to a route where you'd hit North, South, East and West facing coasts? Not many places you could do that in the UK mainland.
Not far - that would be relatively easy with a bit of tweaking. I just hadn't thought of it! If there's interest - I can tweak it a bit to manage it - I was pretty happy with the majority of my route choice - a couple of bits which were a poor choice and not suitable for a road bike (luckily I was on a cross bike), and would probably be a nice route if it wasn't the middle of winter...!
redefined_cycles

Pickers wrote:Got my 1st (and probably last...) badge after the stars aligned at home and Mrs P did Xmas dinner for the first time in 27 years.

Id be interested in this too for end of this year pls. North south east and west... only thing is though, pls no gravel/offroads as it'll be on the pure road bike whih only ventures onto gravel when by mistake and close to home so the tires can be sorted/renewed if needs be...