Spurning Brian - Fatbiking on the Yorkshire Coast

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Spurning Brian - Fatbiking on the Yorkshire Coast

Post by whitestone »

With the forecast for the west and central parts of the country looking decidedly iffy we headed East to have a pedal on the beaches to the north of Spurn Point. We parked up at Kilnsea and headed up the coast.

First feature was the gas terminal at Easington

We were the only bikes on the beach :roll:

Getting off the beach might be tricky if you go caught by high tide. The "cliffs" are basically mud :o

We went as far as Withernsea, almost, as they were replacing the groynes (lovely word that) having to dig some very big holes to remove some rather big bits of wood so we couldn't go any further due to H&S. Turning round things got much harder as the tail wind was now a head wind :sad:

The further we rode, the stronger the wind got and I was beginning to run out of gears!

We came across this seal pup.

The old sea defences, well big lumps of concrete, gave something to ride around

We decided to head on to Spurn Point (slowly)

Once we turned round it was a blast and I was nearly running out of gears at the top end!

Back at the car we washed the bikes down and headed home. We'd been dry all day, the rain started about the time we got back on the M62. Probably the best choice for this weekend.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
windjammer

Re: Spurning Brian - Fatbiking on the Yorkshire Coast

Post by windjammer »

next time you do a trip to the coast could you message me im looking to go out riding with fatbikers i got a 5 incher :mrgreen:
whitestone

Re: Spurning Brian - Fatbiking on the Yorkshire Coast

Post by whitestone »

It was a bit ad-hoc TBH. It kinda dawned on me that the last time I'd ridden the fat bike was in February on the Rovaniemi race in Finland. It was beginning to look like an ornament lying around the house!

Will drop you a line if I remember.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry