Sonder Transmitter carbon Frankenstein build

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Sonder Transmitter carbon Frankenstein build

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thought I would post this here as it is a sprt of adventure for me. So here's the deal.

Ive been getting bored of riding the road bike recently and have decided its time to upgrade my mtb again (having previously owned Santa Cruz superlight and an IndyFab as my best bikes ever, amongst tens of others over the past decade). Currently my mtb is just a last minute ebay buy - with crappy SRAM X7 transmission which feels so clunky and often the shift levers get stuck between each other - a Boardman Team which came with rigid carbon forks which I did sectiobs of Jacobs Ladder on before going back to my trusty Fox Talas 140mm (handles nice).

Now what I plan on doing is grabbing a nice carbon mtb and here is what I have concluded. Just wanted to get any thoughts off yourselves (keep it constructive and below the belt please).

Sonder Carbon transmitter frame with their Rumpus boost wheelset (if they allow me to buy them with it) in 650b. Will throw some 2.8inch tires on.

Sonder Frontier forks cos they will save me money in the short term whilst I figure out how to get some good ebay deals on boost compatible sus forks. Hopefully Alpkit might lemme have em for less than 50 quid and according to the review by Stu they ride like comfy steel forks.

Transmission I will probably get an xt 1x11 grouppo in the sales.

Drum roll... thoughts please!!!?
In Reverse

Re: Sonder Transmitter carbon Frankenstein build

Post by In Reverse »

A mate demoed a carbon Transmitter with plus tyres on the Jenn ride this year and was really impressed. Didn't buy it mind.
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote:A mate demoed a carbon Transmitter with plus tyres on the Jenn ride this year and was really impressed. Didn't buy it mind.
Thanks for that. Yes, I was always against carbon cos I didnt think they could tune a confortable ride into the frame due to stuffness issues. But after having ridden my Canyon road bike for a while I've been thoroughly impressed. After coming into the market for a new mtb (26 seems to be getting pretty obsolete so all my parts-hoarding is fast become a waste of space) my eyes just keep landing on the Sonder. Especially since the frame is under 700 and the reviews are all raving about it. Kinda like Cotic back in the days he released but on a while new level... Even our Stu seems to be a believer...
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Do NOT get theWTB tyres with the "Light" casings.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Rich. I've made reservation (clicked pay by phone and just awaiting an invoice to make payment) on a carbon frame but now had a second thought: Why not get alu which is less than half price and won't concern me about being whacked into rocks!!!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

redefined_cycles wrote:Thanks Rich. I've made reservation (clicked pay by phone and just awaiting an invoice to make payment) on a carbon frame but now had a second thought: Why not get alu which is less than half price and won't concern me about being whacked into rocks!!!
And probably not much heavier, and will leave cash to save that weight back on other components...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ianfitz wrote:
redefined_cycles wrote:Thanks Rich. I've made reservation (clicked pay by phone and just awaiting an invoice to make payment) on a carbon frame but now had a second thought: Why not get alu which is less than half price and won't concern me about being whacked into rocks!!!
And probably not much heavier, and will leave cash to save that weight back on other components...
On the other hand having seen Santa Cruz and Mike Burrows set about carbon frames with hammers and girders you'll probably be fine, weight saved on the frame will "last" and you can always save weight incrementally as old parts wear out or your packing improves. Frame weight will always be there. :mrgreen:
redefined_cycles

Agree with both of you (ian/jonnystorm)... Dilemma continues. Heads telling heart its right though: carb it should be and who cares if kids dont have lunch money for a year...

Watch this space!!!
redefined_cycles

Have slept on it and both heart/head agree: I should feed the kids 'cheesy bread' for the next few months and grab the carb version. Niel got back to me and insists the carb is their strongest frame to date so hopefully it'd give the Santa Cruz' of old a run for the money in the impacts dept.

Now to go and save up for some forks. Am thinking to get some rigid boost ones for the mo but options seem limited. Enve rigids would mean I have to sell a kidney so thats a no-go...

Another option is either the Carver 29er carbon rigid or someone by Travers. Does anyone have any experience of any of the above or any other suggestions?? The standards wpuld need to be bold through boost (110mm) dropouts and suspension corrected for 120 or 130mm. My Indyfab (RIP) was built around a 100mm fork but I used 130 and 140 sus on it without a problem as well as a Surly rigid (corrwcted for 100mm travel) and both worked equally flawless on the ups and downs...

Right: dont all speak at once but over to the PandaPeople...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any particular reason you need boost forks? Do you already have boost spaced wheels?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I bought cheap carbon rigid boost forks off eBay. I've since seen them on a German site at 5x the price and Steven Shand now has them on some of his hardtails. Not sure on the A2C measurement though.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172814948699
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Any particular reason you need boost forks? Do you already have boost spaced wheels?
Have my eyes on a boost wheelset you see and the rear of the frame is 148 so may aswell keep it all uniform (especially since the wheels I have my eyes on are nice and being sold by a bearbones geezer)...
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote:I bought cheap carbon rigid boost forks off eBay. I've since seen them on a German site at 5x the price and Steven Shand now has them on some of his hardtails. Not sure on the A2C measurement though.

Surely these couldn't be the same ones that Shand is doing on the Oykel?? I was looking at them and wondered whether he spld them seperaye (not knowing that they were bought in!!).

Anyway: back to business... How do they ride? Whats the workmanship looking like (any wierd incorrect measurements you noticed when fitting/fettling)? Could you check on yours about the A2C measurement? and whay frameset you using them on... very many many thanks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:I bought cheap carbon rigid boost forks off eBay. I've since seen them on a German site at 5x the price and Steven Shand now has them on some of his hardtails. Not sure on the A2C measurement though.

Surely these couldn't be the same ones that Shand is doing on the Oykel?? I was looking at them and wondered whether he spld them seperaye (not knowing that they were bought in!!).

Anyway: back to business... How do they ride? Whats the workmanship looking like (any wierd incorrect measurements you noticed when fitting/fettling)? Could you check on yours about the A2C measurement? and whay frameset you using them on... very many many thanks
They appear to be the same as those on the Oykel - if not in as pretty a colour.

They ride like a rigid fork. By that, I mean they don't have the same level of springiness/compliance as something like a RC31 or the Exotic/White Bros/On One style tubular carbon forks. This isn't really an issue for me as I'm mostly running them with 3" Nobby Nics on 45mm rims. However, I don't find them overly harsh using the 29er wheels either. They're bland, satin black so there's not much to comment on as regards construction or workmanship. A steerer bung rather than a SFN is obviously required. Make sure you order them with an axle as I made the error of not doing so and then had to chase up a suitable axle. A2C appears to be 495mm. My "other" forks are 120mm Rebas and they appear to be a good match for that. I've had them a year now and I don't exactly treat them cautiously.

Here seen mounted on my Pact. I've fitted a Mudhugger front mudguard to then via a couple of cable ties. It's been rock solid.
ImageDSC_0331 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
ImageP1030911 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
redefined_cycles

Thanks very much Scott. The bike (and background) looks lovely. Is that a 29er or 650 wheel you got in them as it appears to have plenty more room above the tyre?

For 80 quid:seems a bargain...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's a B+ tyre in both cases. The 29er combo is only a little taller using Ardents. You're right though, there is tons of clearance.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote:That's a B+ tyre in both cases. The 29er combo is only a little taller using Ardents. You're right though, there is tons of clearance.
Thankyou kind sir for maming my plans of building the beast a little cheaper and easier (until I can afford a decent front sus)...

Being boost frame. Does it mean we can only use boost cranks (and is the only extra thing Inneed to invest in) or is there a cheape way around the cranks problem (ie. Using standard cranks as they are cheaper in the sales at the mo!!)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Pact uses Boost cranks as I need the added width to get round the 3" tyre with a 2x crank.

My Orbea Occam is also a Boost frame - and also 2x - but is limited to more standard tyre widths and so I use non-Boost cranks for that.

FWIW, 165mm Shimano cranks are not available in Boost width and they're my preference.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Isn't the rear of the Sonder a 'none-standard' boost size used by themselves and Marin?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Its the same chainline though, so the crank issue is the same.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Colin. To clarify, I was thinking about the wheels.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Sorry Colin. To clarify, I was thinking about the wheels.

The Transmitter page actually says it's the standard Boost hubs, not the weird QR ones. Looks like that's confined to the Frontier.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Isn't the rear of the Sonder a 'none-standard' boost size used by themselves and Marin?
I was thinking that but the Alpkit website says 148 for the carbon frame, so that's the bolt through boost rear axle? so the same as everyone else uses. Is it only the qr one which is odd in that only Alpkit and Marin have currently adopted?

Edit, the alloy Transmitter uses the 148 as well. The Frontier is the one with the qr 141 boost which is hard to get wheels for - other than Love Mud wheels. (Colin beat me to it)
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:That's a B+ tyre in both cases. The 29er combo is only a little taller using Ardents. You're right though, there is tons of clearance.
Thankyou kind sir for maming my plans of building the beast a little cheaper and easier (until I can afford a decent front sus)...

Being boost frame. Does it mean we can only use boost cranks (and is the only extra thing Inneed to invest in) or is there a cheape way around the cranks problem (ie. Using standard cranks as they are cheaper in the sales at the mo!!)
*sorry. I meant "making my plans easier:thanks"
redefined_cycles

For the record. The carb Transmitter arrived. A thing of beauty it looks and feels solidly built and stiff... I never owned one but reminds me of what a Cove Stiffee used to feel like (though I'm not sure I actually ever held the bare frame in my hand)...

The scientific stuff: 1262g but feels as though it should weigh alot more (lightest mtb frame I've ever had so far in past 10 years is the Boardman Pro at 1450g)...

Oh... one last thing: the box that it came in said, "Alpkit bike: Made in China" so maybe them cheap chinese ebay forks will be going on afterall (after a little more research (ie. Input from your kind selves)) :-bd