Autumnal Equinox Trip (Garve-Ullapool-Garve)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

metalheart

Autumnal Equinox Trip (Garve-Ullapool-Garve)

Post by metalheart »

As I've missed a couple of (summer!) BAM's so there's little point in adding this to that thread, so here goes...

My recent Hebridean Way trip was supposed to be a bit of a 5-6 day bimble up the islands but the bad weather meant that I beasted up the road on the first day and found myself in North Uist a day early. Didn't make sense to delay so just kept going and did it in 3 days instead. I had planned to return home off-road from Ullapool and to be honest this was actually supposed to be the highlight of my holidays. However, said beasting was not easy on my nethers so I decided that, what with the weather and everything, to cadge a lift home from Ullapool instead. In the van on the road back a plan was hatched to come back and ride the most interresting section (i.e. Ullapool to Garve) the next week.

So, on the autumnal equinox myself and Scotroutes headed off out the back of Garve crossed the A835 and on to the HT550 route, i.e.through Longart Forest, nip back over the road and up Strath Rannoch, up Loch Vaich, along Gleann Mor to Alladale. we took the road round to Croick, stopping at the Broch/Church as I'm into that kind of thing. It's a bit tumbled down and, well, just a ruin. Guess the locals must've robbed the stones over the years...
ImageCroick Broch (and church) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
We carried along Strath Cuileannach stopping when the view West opens up... as you do
ImageLooking West by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
ImageCroick Estate road by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
We then took the short cut to the Schoolhouse bothy then turned down Strath Mulzie. We carried along until the 'red arrow' then took the single track hike a bike section (it was pretty wet) to the head of Loch an Daimh then down Glen Achall/Loch Achall scoping for potential bivy spot(s). We spied one just past the bridge at Loch Achall so carried on into Ullapool in search of food.
We stopped at the Seaforth (we could sit in full view of our fully ladden bikes) in what was now darkness.
Then in true HT mimicking style we headed for the Tesco to stock up before heading back to our bivy spot. Forecast for Ullapool on the saturday was 20 degrees!
Once pitched we illicited the interest of the local estate workers (our flickering headtorches) who thought we might be poachers/up to no good (I shouldn't wonder) who turned up with spots on their truck on and a thermal imager! However on discovery that it was just a pair of aul mannies camping they were aswaged and after a bit of banter left us to our own devices.
ImageBivy spot (am) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
ImageLunar Solo in all is (damp) glory by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
ImageMornin'! by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Sunrise was quite pleasant.... :-)
ImageSunrise head of Loch Achall by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Breakfasted and packed up (there was masses of condensation on the tent/tarp) we set off around 8.30.
The intention was to retrace our steps except that we would take the north road along loch an Daimph as it was all rideable. It was good fun too (i.e. just on the nice/easy side of technical for fully laden bikes).
As it was a much nicer day we stopped pretty much the same place as on the way over for photo's...
ImageLooking back West somewhere in the Croick Estate by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
ImageLooking East from same place... by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
We met a bunch of mountain bikers at the end of Croick. Colin, as ever, knew one of them... :grin:
We then turned South. And into a headwind... Oh boy. I was struggling big time by now. My nethers were once again feeling discomfort and every pedal stroke was affected... And did I mention the headwind? Oh boy...
Still we were going to head down Strath Vaich as an alternative and the road section was much easier on me physically.
We roadied it up until Little Garve before we cut the corner and arrived back into Garve.
ImageFinished! by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
ImageScotroutes telling me if I hadn't been so keen he would have come back on the road... Now he tells me... by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Where Colin told me that, if he was being honest, that if I hadn't been so keen (and adamant) he would probably have taken the road back to Garve... Now he tells me! But we both agreed that it was the toughest thing we'd done together (and in a while) and it was good to push ourselves (in a type 2 way). Not sure my arse thought that mind.
Still, a good trip, good company and my conscience about missing out the end of my HW trip asswaged. Just don't make me get back on a bike for at least a couple of days though... :oops:
ImageI think this sums up how I felt... (the horror, the horror...) by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr
Give the dirt a little room.
Borderer

Re: Autumnal Equinox Trip (Garve-Ullapool-Garve)

Post by Borderer »

Nice write up. I enjoyed reading that.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good tale as ever and well done for bagging some bonus good weather!
I took pretty much the same photo as that one of Colin on the track over to Glen Einig with Suilven, Canisp and cul more in the background when I was doing the Highland trail - its a great spot.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Thanks for the comments guys. I sometimes wonder if people are interested in my somewhat 'pedestrian' outings. But I guess photos and chat about trails you know makes a difference.

And thanks to Colin for his patience, he needed a lot of it as the South leg into that headwind was a bit of a bugger. Still, we made it in one piece. Taking a leaf out of Colin's book here's a link to more photos....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77564901@ ... 8752120506
Last edited by metalheart on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Enjoyed the write up, sounds like a good trip
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

metalheart wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. I sometimes wonder if people are interested in my somewhat 'pedestrian' outings. But I guess photos and chat about trails you know makes a difference.

And thanks to Colin for his patience, he needed a lot of it as the South leg into that headwind was a bit of a bugger. Still, we made it in one piece. Taking a leaf out of Colin's book here's a link to more photos....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77564901@ ... 8752120506
Always good to read about peoples trips. Especially Scotland as I don't get to spend enough time there. Thanks for taking the time to write it out :-bd
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Cheers Ian, I like to write a trip up as it allows me to sort out in my head the good and the bad bits and try and work out any lessons to learn from it.

It also makes me sort out my photos while they are still 'fresh'. And it allows me to share my trips with a couple of mates who aren't on here. Plus, I can always find them again on here... :oops:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

It's always nice to read of these trips. I don't take nearly enough. Hats off for being out there walking the walk (as it were)...

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

180km and 2,700m of ascent isn't what I'd call pedestrian.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

ScotRoutes wrote:180km and 2,700m of ascent isn't what I'd call pedestrian.
A fair point well made... this one was a bit more pushed out than most I've done :lol: