My Cairngorms Loop ITT group start Sept '17

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PJG

My Cairngorms Loop ITT group start Sept '17

Post by PJG »

Hi, I've written an account of my trip - hope you enjoy it :-)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eFT ... sp=sharing
Richpips

Re: My Cairngorms Loop ITT group start Sept '17

Post by Richpips »

Nice one Pete!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Enjoyed that, thanks.
touch

Post by touch »

Good read!

To put your mind at rest a bit in regard to the Spanish lads, they would have been heading for Bob Scott's bothy near Derry Lodge.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Well done Pete!

Sounds a good ride but tougher than when I did it this time last year - nice write up! The fords of Avon were only ankle deep then...

I was signed up but let Steve know I wasn't going to make it a couple of weeks ago. Too tired after a long year on the bike.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Good effort Pete. :-bd

Nice pictures too, even the ones with you in.
PJG

Post by PJG »

In Reverse wrote:Good effort Pete. :-bd

Nice pictures too, even the ones with you in.
Thanks all, even you Andy ! :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Pete, and a good read. When I did it in '14 I too struggled to find that last singletrack descent and just ploughed through the undergrowth!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice one Pete.

I deliberately didn't read your account until I'd written mine so had no idea it was you riding with Phil. I wasn't sure from the tyre tracks if there were one or two ahead of me on the Geldie-Feshie section, I saw a light just beyond the rickety bridge over the Eidart as I was approaching so that could have been you, it would have been between 10 & 11pm. Did you not consider the hut (Colin's Howff)? Having said that, it was very noisy around there with all the water in the rivers. I'm surprised that it got so cold there, I bivied in a field a couple of Km before the turning into Abernethy forest and was fine in a Cumulus 150 quilt.

Interesting the different reaction to Steve's email. I was on my own and decided to head round by road, ah well, hindsight has 20:20 vision.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PJG

Post by PJG »

whitestone wrote:Nice one Pete.

I deliberately didn't read your account until I'd written mine so had no idea it was you riding with Phil. I wasn't sure from the tyre tracks if there were one or two ahead of me on the Geldie-Feshie section, I saw a light just beyond the rickety bridge over the Eidart as I was approaching so that could have been you, it would have been between 10 & 11pm. Did you not consider the hut (Colin's Howff)? Having said that, it was very noisy around there with all the water in the rivers. I'm surprised that it got so cold there, I bivied in a field a couple of Km before the turning into Abernethy forest and was fine in a Cumulus 150 quilt.

Interesting the different reaction to Steve's email. I was on my own and decided to head round by road, ah well, hindsight has 20:20 vision.
Cheers Bob.

If you're sure that the light you saw was on the other side of the bridge, then it wouldn't have been me. I bunked down on the high ground just before the bridge.

Colins Howff ? This: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ff#p116710
Not sure I'd have risked it, even if I'd seen it :-)

Regarding Steve's email about the water levels - you read it at night, on your own, and whilst worrying about Cath. I was in a cafe, with a belly full of bacon and coffee, with company and with only myself to worry about. No right or wrong decisions really.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

TBH I don't know exactly where it was. I'd not been across there before so had/have no real idea of the lay of the land. There was just a momentary flash of a light.

I've no regrets about the decision I made, the deciding factor was not knowing the most effective detour if I had got to the burn and it was in flood. I've got Dave Barter's OSM based mapping and let's just say that occasionally it ain't brilliant.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Brilliant riding Pete in very tough conditions. :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd