Epic fail on the Borders 350

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: Epic fail on the Borders 350

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks for that Phil, enjoyed reading it. I'm thinking of going back to the August bank holiday start for next year in an attempt to attract more riders, as it is it comes too soon after the HT550 which you discovered, the only downside is less daylight. Day one is most definitely the hardest physically and psychologically but I'm very encouraged by the new start which saw you all hitting Moffat in time to re stock on food and then the two of pressing on to the bothy :-bd .

What where the snotty signs at Common Law, I don't recall seeing any. I did meet an estate worker on my first ride of this bit, a young man filling the feeders for the grouse and pheasants, he couldn't have been nicer, a big smile and hello.
Last edited by Ray Young on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you ever apply for a job with VisitBorders (or whatever they're called), best delete that post :grin:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Excellent write up Phil. Didn't want to go back to attempt it again yesterday but a day of rest and now want to go back...once I'm back up to full health (Got a killer sore throat at the moment and no energy).

Tempted to do August bank holiday this year but I'll have to check my schedule.

Ray can you go and cut some paths onto those moorlands before we go back please?
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Great write-up Phil. Yeah there are plenty of landowning tossers about who blame the SNP for the Land Reform act (and everything else) and hate that they are forced to let the plebs on 'their' land now. It's mostly the tenant farmers, shepherds and gamekeepers you see out and about though and they are usually good people. The Scottish Borders has indeed some very wild country. I don't know that bit you all did on day one after St Mary's Loch - I would love to give it a go sometime, but it would be at a slower pace for sure.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Borderer wrote:Great write-up Phil. Yeah there are plenty of landowning tossers about who blame the SNP for the Land Reform act (and everything else) and hate that they are forced to let the plebs on 'their' land now.
The Land Reform Act was passed in 2003 - when we had a Labour/LibDem coalition government.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray Young wrote: What where the snotty signs at Common Law, I don't recall seeing any. I did meet an estate worker on my first ride of this bit, a young man filling the feeders for the grouse and pheasants, he couldn't have been nicer, a big smile and hello.
The double gate was locked tight and just after it there was a sign sort of pointing towards the chalets but half pointing up the track saying 'private keep out'. A bit further on at a cross roads there was a sign looking back the way (ie in your face if you were doing this bit backwards) saying 'Farm Access Keep out' - I didn't feel welcome!

But if you'd met the gamey and he was alright then I guess I'm over-reacting! One thought - given the grouse feeders are they shooting over this bit as this may make an August group start an issue. Stick with Late June / early July as the long days are nice!
Borderer wrote: I don't know that bit you all did on day one after St Mary's Loch - I would love to give it a go sometime, but it would be at a slower pace for sure.
Defo worth a look but on a nice day as you can see from the Cheviots to the Trossachs :cool:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Liked that. Well written, honest, balanced and engaging.

Ta :cool:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Good read; was hoping to do this but had a few setbacks last month. Not so sure any more...

The only fail is not crossing the start line... any other outcome is a learning experience!
PJG

Post by PJG »

Thanks for that Phil. That route is on my list, so good to get some intel !
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Nice write up. I too thought when Ray was planning the route, that the border miles would be relatively easy. A couple of look sees prove otherwise.
ollie5882

Post by ollie5882 »

Good to hear the details of your suffering too! I've no idea how you made it to the pass before Overphawhope in the daylight though - good effort! It goes to show just how messed up my memory is that I would have sworn the Common Law "friendliness" was on the second or third day - it did cause me a bit of head scratching and wandering around looking for another path.

I also appreciated the long days so I'm not convinced about moving it later in the year but if more people could make it....
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ollie5882 wrote:I also appreciated the long days so I'm not convinced about moving it later in the year but if more people could make it....
I'm not a great fan of riding in the dark. The main reason I changed from August after the first year was to get as close to the longest day as I could without clashing with the RAC rally in Kielder Forest, something that nearly stopped me once on a reckie weekend. Luckily I arrived just as they were stopping for lunch so the marshals let me through. Maybe I'll just keep it as it is and hopefully attract people who are building up towards the HT 550.