Endurobikepacking

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: Endurobikepacking

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote:5,000m of vertical loss.... on trail? Wow, now that I envy.

Distances covered are more than I expected, impressed Gian.
Yes. hardly any road (tarmac or gravel). Most vert loss trails are 100 % pure.

That's nothing, just getting warm with a new bike. More to come...

I'll show you some of my fav's if we can arrange it end of August :-bd
I'm sure you'd love it.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Finished packing for 7 days biking in the eastern part of Switzerland. Bike has seen a few changes;

New fork - the Fox 36 rc2 I had ordered through Bold when I ordered the bike has finally arrived. Such a different beast compared to the under dampened Rockshox Yari.
New seatpost - the Kindshock LEV couldn't be adjusted so I would get comfy with the slightly altered geometry due to the new fork with 10 mm more travel (7 mm longer effectively) and new shock with different tune (smoked the original one) which let's me ride with slightly more sag. So it became a Fox Transfer.
Rear tyre was changed from Schwalbe Rock Razor to a Magic Mary mainly because the Rock Razor was done and for the upcoming trip I'll trade more grip for faster rolling. Also the bigger lugs will protect the carcass better.
New brake pads - I should be running sintered pads but am sticking with organic ones. Hopefully it'll be wet and cold enough for them to not get smoked. I did brake (or break) them in very carefully and am hoping they'll perform better and last longer on the long descents.
Frame will be taped at the contact points of the frame bag.
New pedals - the plastic Nukeproof's lost some pins after light rock contact and have developed play after only 560 km. Running alloy flats. Very flat flats from VP Compoents, the Harrier ti. Got them real cheap and they don't have the brutal grip of the Nukeproof's. More of a grip I can actually work with when I need to reposition my feet. Still, super grippy with the Adidias Trail Cross.

So far the bike has been great, even for stuff I'd usually take my short travel bike. I've learend to cope with the different feel for the speed and the little changes in the geometry have made it slightly more downhill-oriented. The Fox is simply amazing and keeps my weight in a more stable position as it only uses it's travel when really needed.
Weight has come down to 12.84 kg.

I'm really looking forward to a few days out riding in high elevations and bivvying next to the bike.
I just hope my body is strong enough for what I've planned...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

For many years the technical difficult multi day trips, call it bikepacking or bivybiking, where only a couple of days long mostly 2-3 and due to the terrain I didn't that far.

I was very eager to go on a week long trip with a focus, besides of just being out and enjoying the scenery, on descending. Deep down I'm a downhill rider and don't mind shuttles if they are available. I just wanted to go out and ride my bike and charge in challenging terrain. I did plan on going fast and non stop on the long downhills.

It didn't take me long to sketch a suitable route. One with many questionmarks. Nice how google still doesn't know things.

Day 1.
The little bicycle adventure begins in Davos, highest 'town' in Europe. First stretch of tarmac - 500 m. Metres, not miles. I'm off on double and singletracks right from the beginning and climb up towards Dürrboden and a lovely grade and tracks.
Looking back just a few minutes in.
Into the place where I and my bike belong.

It's warm and humid.
I'm also escaping the summer heat.
After Dürrboden

Looking back.
Lovely climb. Loads could be ridden. I'm already in conservation mode though and have grown up pushing and carrying my bike.

At the Scalettapass. First of many...

Some rain was forecasted and by surprise I find the hut on top of the pass. I've been here years before and can't remember it, although the hut's rather new... well... good for me. It's a no brainer. A little track leads to some water.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Day 2

A fast and super flowy descent from the Scalettapass brings me down to an alp from which a lovely climb ascends towards Piz Kesch and the famous Kesch hut.

I'll be leaving the track to the hut though and climb up on the right, towards a pass I don't have to cross, but decide to ride nonetheless. For pure fun and hopefully a little challenge. I know from hiking that the terrain up there holds a jewel of a track.

Looking back

Looking back to Piz Kesch

On higher grounds. Next pass, the Sertigpass is on the right.

Atop Sertigpass. A long descent to Bergün awaits.

In an easy section. I actually did expect it to be more difficult. As so often, hiking gave me a wrong impression. Once I have bars in my hands things just feel so easy and challenges go down so well.

Along the lovely Lai da Ravais-ch suot.
A wonderful mix of technical and flow. Hard-rolling. Pace will rarely be beyond about 15 km/h and the riding requires a good effort to keep rolling. That's how I love it.

Slowly the track loses altitude, ever so exhilarating with many obstacles to keep me from speeding.

I drop down into a small hamlet and roll on a few meters of – today’s first – double track, only to drop down into a super fun section in the woods.

Sometimes the tracks are beaten up by cows. This section just a little bit.

Idyllic

Three weeks before my trip, the region was struck by heavy rainfall. High temperatures, unstable, thawed permafrost and rain – a bad mix. Debris flows in many spots. The single track eaten by one. For self it just makes the riding more interesting, but for the locals it can mean that they lose their homes or even family members.

Riding along the stream, Piz Ela looming above. I’ll ride along a track hugging her slopes towards the end of my planned route. But… there’s still a long way to go.

Long break in Bergün.

After a shuttle to save about an hour of riding (on tracks I already know by heart) I start the next stage on the Albulapass. A few hundred meters of tarmac.

Soon back on tracks. I just love the possibilities we have here to ride single tracks. The road is only a few hundred meters to the left.

Another climb to another pass.

The Bernina massif on the horizon.

Just slightly left off the center of the image is the pass I came through. Then a most wonderful ribbon hugs the slopes, superb riding in a grand scenery.
Really, really nice. Some little spicy sections thrown in… this is how I really enjoy riding uphill. Photo taken from the Es-Cha hut.

Then down on a track I thought was much more difficult. It was a blast.
Just a Little bit rocky, bit bumpy and fast. I ride rude. No respect for the rocks or my bike. Jumping from one turn into the next, hearing the wind blow louder and louder in my ears.
Charging ‘till I reach a double track with burning legs and sore arms.

Questioning what I was thinking when sketching the route in front of the monitor at home, I follow a weak track into the larches.

What follows is a super short section of the most amazing track.
A hot dance, a spicy tango with a demanding kiss. I can barely calm down I’m so excited.

Time and space to breathe. The Engadin valley with its eponym, the river Inn.

Some easy kilometers. Just a little.

Enjoying the typical Engadin houses. One more reason to visit my place of origin.

On the “transfer” from Madulain to Susch. Easy riding, enjoying the views and trying to get lost by following small tracks instead of staying on the planned route (here double tracks).

Some few hundred meters on tarmac again. I still haven’t ridden more than 1 km on tarmac today.
Formidable Piz Linard in the distance. I shall be coming down the valley to its left by tomorrow morning. Hopefully...

More easy “transfer” towards Susch after a Pizza and getting some food for tomorrow in Zernez, hub for many of my fatbike trips in winter.
In Susch I refill my Platy, climb some few hundred meters to a nice spot above the valley, have a second supper and fall into a deep sleep after saying thank you to my sorroundings for this vaguely exciting day.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Loving this thread, it's ace
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Looking at some of the trails you are descending, I have to ask; are you using any protection? Pads, full-face lid, etc? Having spanked-in more times than I care to remember, I know that stuff doesn't always help much, and can be a PITA, but it does provide a little more confidence in the rocks...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote:Loving this thread, it's ace
Cheers. More to come.
ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Looking at some of the trails you are descending, I have to ask; are you using any protection? Pads, full-face lid, etc? Having spanked-in more times than I care to remember, I know that stuff doesn't always help much, and can be a PITA, but it does provide a little more confidence in the rocks...
I used these:
https://www.raceface.com/products/detai ... leg-guards 130 g of sleeping mat foam basically.
Then the lovely Uvex i-vo cc helmet, Oakley with their amazing Prizm glasses and thin Fox gloves.
I don't get my confidence from protection. More from negligence :roll:

The knee pads were a good choice though; Legswarmers, sleeping pad supplement, little protection - multi use.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in protection. It just doesn't change my riding.
Proper protection has kept me from serious damage at my spine and knees.
That moment when your knee is bruised and sore and the chunky 661 Kyle Strait has a hole all the way through... that surely would have been my knee cap.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Day 3 starts with a climb.
After a short section on a rough road I soon follow a track through high grass, cross the road of the Flüelapass and veer off onto a fun single track.

Suddenly that urge to packraft...

Very soon I'm back focusing on riding. Horses have beaten the track somewhat, wet roots and mossy rocks make it proper tricky to ride. I pedal-kick my way through and get welcomed by some horses running about in a frenzy. Are they enjoying the sun after a cold night?

Easy terrain but steep. I push quite a lot and try to save my legs. They’ll be hurting enough on the downhills.

Looking back. The grade eases, the track gets a little rougher. Win.

Into another stunning valley.

Milk cows go in to give milk, mother cows and the calves stay out. Watching them ford I wonder what's going on as they suddenly all go towards the alp hut. Then I spot the farmer with salt, spread in a big circle on a huge slab.

Further into the valley I realise I made a mistake by letting my girlfriend know that I was going to call latest by 13:00 when back in an area with a mobile signal. When I sent that message I forgot that I had planned to go over Jöriflesspass, Flesspass and Vereinapass. A mere 9 additional km’s, but at least 1.5 h more. I was not going to be able cover ground quick enough to get back to an area with reception by 13:00. So I cut it to Flesspass and Vereinapass. I’ll have to come again…
The riding is proper strenuous. I grind my way up, shifting, hopping and cranking my way through as many scree slopes as possible.
Feeling yesterday's downhills in my legs.

Looking back

Things are getting easier.

Close to the Flesspass. *must visit the area down paced, on foot or so”

Flesspass. The easy part. From here there’s also a track back to Klosters. This would be the easy way back. I choose differently.

Looking back to the Flesspass, left from where I came (Val Torta/Val Fless), right Süser- & Vereinatal).

Fun terrain close to the Vereinapass, far under me in the mountain runs the train through the Vereintunnel.
Facing Piz Linard. My mountain of alteration – after scrambling this mess as a teenager, I withdrew to ice covered summits for mountaineering.

Start of a most amazing descent.

The bull makes me press on and keep my break short.

Super fun and easy opening.
I’ll be down in no time…

Looking back. …not

Riding the path of least resistance.

The single track demands my full set of tricks. Stuff I very rarely do, but here I’m too much in the zone, in the mindset some call flow, despite the track being anything but flowy.
Front and rear wheel hopping, rear wheel kissing, bars to the chest, pedal kicks. It’d be much easier and more efficient to just do the HAB, but that’s not what I came for.
I came to ride.

Some easier parts

Looking back. The track runs right next to the waterfall. The scree slope being the easy part.

Looking back. Big rocks are covered by long grass. It’s a real test piece for me.

Alder shrubs.
After 3 months in the wilderness of Canada/Alaska and 2 months in eastern Tibet with Rhododendron-whacking, I know how to treat this stuff.
I ride through and get stuck. Time to push the brake levers away from the bar, as the branches like to pull the levers and see me go OTB.

The challenge starts to break me. “Gosh”, “oh really?” can be heard more and more from a mountain biker on a blue bike as he starts to struggle, growing tired.

In spots I nearly go too far. I wish I was here without bivy gear and a mate. The stream drops into a small gorge, stupid as I am I can’t stop trying to ride some crazy sections and then it happens;

On wet rocks in some utterly steep section I roll into boulders too big to clear and the chain ring clips the rocks. I loose traction at the rear and slide sideways, then, by the steepness the rear wheel swings in the air to the right. I try to keep balance, open the brakes and roll too fast into the next chocked off lump of rocks where I catch my shin on a rock. My foot still on the pedals, I scratch past into control and as soon as I can stop, get off and sit down to calm myself.

The sun is beating down, I’m sweating like a pig, losing strength, shaking and suddenly…
I spot what I’ve never spotted before in Switzerland; marks of a bear. He’s been digging just next to where I’m sat. Inside I jump with joy. What a nice surprise! I feel energized and continue on what is becoming easier, but still utterly challenging.

Just as I think I’m done with this valley I roll up to one last hurdle. I proclaim a loud and official “feck you!” I’m usually not like that towards mother nature, but I had to laugh at my inability to cover ground in this valley the way I thought I could – from looking at the map and some neat google images. And yet had I climbed Piz Linard from this valley, I still would’ve come back. And probably will again, with and without the bike. Good bye Val Sagliains. Thanks for the appropriate challenge. I have rarely found a place right up on the narrow ridge of being ridable or not for me.

must be quiet here.

I drop into Lavin and collapse at the village fountain and text mi girlfriend just minutes after one o'clock. Head and wrists get a cool bath. After a lunch out of my rucksack and what feels like a well deserved rest I start my transfer to a bus stop not far outside Scuol. Easy terrain.

Sur En

Sweary Dave would like it here.

Instead of an easy cruise for two hours I see another challenge; Heat, nettles and my need to stick to the smallest available ribbons of tracks. Not-so-easy then...

Some mind-boggling fun though.

I suddenly come across Indiana Jones with three small sculptures, hunted by some bad boys with short sabres.

I block the bridge with my wide handlebar and large wheels.
Sorry mate.

My scorched brain cools off over the river Inn, going into the shade. Only 150 m climb on 500 m distance up ahead, but I feel devoid of energy and it takes me twice as long as usual for such a little climb, albeit steep and rough enough in sections, I'm better off carrying the bike.

If I want to save some 60 or so minutes of a climb on gravel to S-charl, I need to hurry to catch be post bus. The last one for today.

I make it. Drained and thirsty. Looking forward to another fountain in the lovely village of S-charl.

S-charl. My last visit is still present. Winter traverse of the Fuorcla Funtana da S-charl. Good times. Even slower than this mornings trip over the Vereinapass.

Next up is the S-charljoch, a pass into Italy, I still know well from a very late autumn bikepacking trip (no snow, just ice). I feel okay and climb easily.

Looking back.
Again I kind of feel sorry for myself as I just pass through. Even a 15 minute break won't do the view justice. I should spend a night here.

On the climb I gradually feel weak and dead slow. I carry my empty hull up to the pass under the light pain of hypoglycaemia, struggling with every step and chewing on stuff whilst on the slow move. A decent bonk.

After a little break with loads of sugary goods and water and salts I feel much better. Ready to charge another long downhill. Today’s last.
The top is a bit tricky, but momentum can be kept. After that, the orographic right side has super fast double tracks. I’m not going to even think about the overgrown left side I rode years ago. I'm not in for a mess and planned the right side at home already.
There’s a bus that leaves in half an hour down in the valley at Taufers and goes up to Tschierv where I arranged an Airbnb earlier in the day, for the forecast was rather rubbish and I was being soft. Half an hour. I believe there’s a realistic chance I can make it. Only 8 km, 1000 m vert loss. I’ve ridden similar numbers in 15 minutes. Easy.

Off I go. I hammer the track I still seem to remember.
If only there was more juice left in my arms and legs. They are badly wasted.

The single track has some techy bits which usually would go down well, but know I’m struggling. I walk two sections I’d be riding easily.

I’m stupid enough to think I can still make it and go absolutely mental. I can’t remember going so utterly fast on dirt. Ever. And I’ve hit more than 80 km/h on double tracks on a few occasions.
Fence posts fly by in my rush and I hear rocks hitting them and my legs and down tube. I lean back and go low, I work the bike to absorb small bumps and hop rocks. One small mistake at this speed will really, really hurt. Then I switch that part of my brain off again. In the speed rush I go wrong, I go left instead of straight on a less used track. Once back on the planned route, I dive into the forest and am all over the slightly rockier and curvy track, listening to more rocks hitting the trees I pass at warp speed.
On the lower section I enter a super flowy single track. My tyres hardly touch the woodsy ground as I seem to fly from lovely naturally shaped rollers and berms, using roots to launch over obstacles.

I touch down in Taufers. One with my bike. A bike with blue discs.
I missed the bus by little and cruise to a pizzeria. After all I’m in Italy, in the Val Venosta (Vinschgau in German), an area where they speak German, and it would be a folly to leave without a pizza. Not far from here Reinhold Messner has his (first) mountain museum in the castle he lives for a few months a year, the Schloss Juval. It's well worth a visit for those interested in mountains, mountain culture and more.
I get off the bike and barely can hold myself upright sans bike. I successfully have smoked my legs completely. The pizza tastes great, the post bus (hourly service) to Tschierv arrives and soon I’m in my Airbnb room. Some stretching, rubbing and Perskindol out of a small sample don’t help to calm my thighs. They feel fizzy.
My body is very tired and my mind still buzzing from all the rush I was in today. It’s way after midnight when I finally can settle down to beating rain outside.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Day 4
I have a lie in. My whole body feels sore. The muscles much worse than after a double traverse of Iceland interior on a single speed bike. Much worse than riding the Highlandtrail 550 in 5 days.

The weather is slowly calming down and so I leave for brekkers outside a small shop. By the time I’ve eaten half the shop it’s nearly noon.
Next up, Piz Terza. Not a pass this time, but a mountain.

Gradually I gain height. My body has recovered somewhat and I soon find a suitable rhythm, but the weather is nervous. I often stop to read the clouds. There’s a certain point after which there’s no shelter and they things look I don’t feel comfy.

I go further.

Once again, after many years without, I pick up dog poo on my rear tyre. The smell is enough to make me feel sick. I waste quite some time to get rid of it.

What’s going on?

Towards the Stelvio things aren’t looking bright. I need cover…

Just in time to settle at the last hut some 750 m above Tschierv I wait for rain and hail to pass. There’s little shelter and so I wait until things clear.
Dozing away feeling slightly cold, the nearby cowbell rocking me into a light sleep.
Then more hail and heavy rain is hammering down and the lightning gets closer and closer. 3 seconds between light and noise. 2 seconds… 1 second…
The growling skies and thick fog give for the biggest strobe light.
Then one very bright and deafening loud bang silences my surrounding. That must have been close.
Then I realise the missing sound of the cowbell…

I relax again and wait.

And wait.

After two hours things are looking brighter. Time to move fast.
The lightning has been 6 seconds away for about 15 min. I can be down on safer ground quick enough.

I leave the desolation in full rain gear and go for it. Just like yesterday. Gung-ho mode.
Feeling like Aaron Gwin in Mount Saint Anne I hammer into the woods whilst the heavens open up again. Visibility is bad and I go too fast.
Of course an electrified perimeter shows up out of the fog. I nose-wheel towards it on a saturated, rocky and woody track and realise I’m going to hit the fence. Automatically I swing the rear to the side and slam it right into a post with a loud bang. The alloy post is well out of shape – I’m not. My bike seems fine too. Another fence post go torn out by the force on the fence. After fixing the fence without getting electrocuted I’m off again, well aware that there’ll be another one…

Lower down I miss the single track and swear whilst riding a little road. Then back into the botanic. I fall back into the same mode as before and enjoy the wet, saturated conditions and the easy and fun track.
I open up the brakes as I enter an open section and setup for a nice, open turn when a deer runs right across the track. I hit the brakes, drift, open them again, get a grip and hit them one last time and end up running off the back of the bike, which is facing in the opposite direction.
No idea how I managed to stay on my legs...

In just a few hours the same amount of rain of half the month of August came down in Val Müstair.
Good thing is, my bike is clean.

Clostra San Jon, the Saint John monastery.

Rinse.

After a hot chocolate I decide to spend the night indoors again. Tomorrow is a new day. I’ll try to get to Piz Terza again. I enjoy some local specialities for supper.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Great pics and write up. Are you using just a framebag for all your kit? Or are you riding with a pack on too?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote:Great pics and write up. Are you using just a framebag for all your kit? Or are you riding with a pack on too?

No, I had a small stove, emergency bivy, quilt etc. with me, only little stuff (mat, bivybag, spare tube, raingear) in the framebag and the rest in the rucksack.

The way and stuff I ride is much more fun and I feel I can squeeze much more out of my skills when the weight of the gear is suspended as good as possible, which is on my back.
Also pushing and carrying a bike with 3 or 4 additional kg is crap. I spent most of the time doing this, so clearly rucksack for me on this trip.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Day 5

“…it’s a new dawn, it’s a new day for me and I’m feeling good…”

Uncountable times I have ridden this double track. I have been visiting this area for many years in all seasons, with or without bike.

I ride over the famous Pass da Costainas. A pass that sees hundreds of bikers each summer. The easiest way to connect the Val Müstair with the lower Engadin valley at Scuol.

God Tamangur, a magic forest and the highest Swiss pine (Pinus cembra) in Europe is just around the corner. It was used in literature and stands for the resilience of the Engadin culture and dying Rhaeto-Romance language (Idiom) (well, it’s dying idoms to be precise – with romansh a new language was kind of put together to not lose at least the core of the idioms).

Today I use a different route to get to Piz Terza than yesterday and go around the mountain on lovely tracks; not long and I’m back on techy single tracks. I look forwards to ride down what I’m coming up. A good mornings challenge.

I feel home in such places.

I meet some hikers and need to carry the bike – too steep and blocked for pushing. The downhill will be fun.

Bütsch al Piz (Kiss at the summit)

View’s to Ortler, Bernina, Vinschgau and the Engadin mountains and most of the Swiss national park.

Then on the summit, with views of the valley some 1750 m below I change my plan. I’ll not backtrack the “short” descent to Alp Astras and climb a little to Fuorcla Funtana da S-charl, then carry on into the Valbella to end this section at the Fuorn pass, but ride all the way back down to Sta. Maria, take the bus up to the Fuorn pass and climb up to Fuorcla Funtana da S-charl and then carry on into the Valbella. It’s quite a detour, but despite my many visits I’m sure I’ll find some single tracks I’ve not ridden before.

Top part is rather steep and need full attention to not pull marks.

Off it goes on an old path. Hardly visible in places and often rather rough.

Inspiring to ride such a beaut.

Again, I race the clock. I have 1 h to get to Sta. Maria and need to navigate down a mountain side with a barely existing track that gets mixed with cow tracks.

Once past an alp the single track is clearer and seems well used, also by bikers.

I knock one switchback after the other, leaning the bike down until it oversteers. Like freeriding on wind-packed snow I carve down the hill. No rush, no stress, just delight.

Towards the end I enter a section I know and open the throttle as I can see far ahead. I roll past the monastery and have some spare time ‘till the relaxing post bus ride up to the Fuorn pass.

Valbella’s next. It’s a mere 8 km loop I only know from winter trips (sans bike) and have long wanted to ride it, or go see if it’s rideable. I ride the loop without some 1 kg of food as I’ll be coming back rather soon.

The 1001st time I ride up to the Fuorcla Funtana da S-charl. This time I go left onto a single track instead of grinding up a steep double track.

Great decision!

I could cry, it’s so bloody nice up here.

Heading down after a most delightful climb (with some pushing).

Not as exposed as it seems. The track is in great shape and wide. Such an amazing ribbon.

Looking back.
After this lovely piece it gets even better as the track looses more height towards the Fuorn pass. A little loose with small, sharp rocks, some large ones to play with and many heart warming corners. This truly is a diamond. One of the best short rides I can think of in Switzerland.

I continue down a single track I know by heart, but wtf..? The counsil has made a bike trail out of it. Smooth, hips, rollers, berms. Being a naturalist I prefer other types of paths but must admit it was super fun. The last section towards Buffalora was in its original shape. Before the climb at a flat area, which is one of the coldest places in Switzerland in winter I eat most of what's left. Next place en route for resupply is Livigno. I know the tracks well and am looking forward to riding them once again.

Towards Fuorcla del Gal

Bliss

A fun, yet flat downhill leads to Lago di Livigno.

Entering the Valle di Fraéle. The smell always drives me nuts. So much, my cushion is filled with wood chips from these very trees.

Can't get enough of this place.

The landscape is kind of distracting. I forget to eat and bonk. Again.

Suddenly the easy Passo di Val Trela seems very far away.

The well maintained double track runs through a gorge for more distraction. I forget for a few minutes how weak I feel.

At a hut I refill my platy for a night out. I haven't been drinking enough and try to compensate for it until my brain hurts from all the cold water. I start to shiver, it's gotten cold, I'm low on energy and now full of cold water.

Closer to Livigno the tracks turn into biking trails. Not far now to the pass.
The additional 2.5 L of water feel like a burden.

I descend a little from the pass to catch some sun and find a good spot for the night.

Quite a few edible contents of my rucksack change location. A supper in bed. The thermometer plummets whilst I have multiple brews.

Good night Italy.

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Very cool Gian.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Day 6

...starts with a little surprise; frost.

-5 °C, no wind and a crispy sky. I slept really well and feel so much better than yesterday. Only my bum is still a bit sore and two small lesions are oozing a little. One on the side of the shin I clipped a rock with and the other on my calf from touching the rear tyre in full throttle dropping off a ledge in a turn. Amazing how messy my skin has gone in a few days from this unfortunate kiss.

Some Bündner Birnbrot is enjoyed and off I go into a cold descent with tearing eyes, despite the glasses.

A little downhill for breakfast.
To be honest, I did plan to ride up another pass and then go for the DH worlds track of 2005, which I knew from prior trips that I'd enjoy it. But I simply was too hungry and tired for another climb and descent and had completely run out of food.

Towards Livigno.
In Livigno I fall into a weird state. It's too busy for my likes, but I need time before I enter the next section, some 40 km to Pontresina with 2500 m of vert gain on the first 27 km and likely tons of techy terrain.

After a long break I enter the Val di Federia with many, many other tourists and gradually climb up the Pass Chaschauna with less.

Boring track up.
A famous pass though and despite my steady efforts I pass a bunch of riders, Alpencrosser or Transalper they call them selves.

Alpencrosser germanum and Transalper teutonii in the wild.
You can get close, they're a friendly bunch.

It was cold up top. Cold and windy. Me likes.

I could take a high route over broad ridges and summits to the Fuorcla Chaschauna, but am too eager to know how the climb is. So down I go.

I hammer down on a dead easy and wide but washed out bike trail that once was a smugglers path. I slow down often and ask the half dozen riders if every thing was okay before passing.

With good karma I approach a rider waiting for his partner at the bottom who opens the electrified peri. I can pass with some solid momentum and happily ride up to a 'crossing'.

Left I came down, right I go up...

...on a faint track

I feel great. Going up the first pass of the day (Pass Chaschauna) I was too full of food to feel proper comfy and needed to find my rhythm. On this pass I feel great.

Alone.

Fuorcla Chaschauna. I'll come again. Promise.
Silene aucalis, one of my fav plants. It reminds me of all those cold, windswept places in the mountains or arctic I love so much. Its flowers first or only show on the side facing South. A true compass plant.

It feels even colder here. I can't stay long but try to soak it all up.

Fckng magic.

Fckng steady.

Down it goes. Track? Nope, not really. Just one of those dotted lines on the map that indicate a pathless alpine route. Often a sh!t idea to take your bike there. Often but not always.

Freeride. Awkward ride.

Up into the next valley past the wonderful big old alp/former guesthouse and smuggler HQ Serlas on good tracks.

Right after Alp Prünella the going gets slower again as I enter the rarely visited Val Prünella, back on rough terrain.

Push and carry.

Gaining height very, very quick. It's utterly steep and I'm moving faster than anticipated - for once. Hoping to get to Pontresina before it gets dark.

Happy to have managed the last big climb for today I emerge into a different world physically and mentally.

My route takes me down to the tarn and up again to the right hand side. I'm as happy as one can be to see the sea of rocks rideable.

The short descent to the tarn requires quite an effort on very loose grounds and I appreciate running big chunky tyres as I can make use of all the possible grip available.

Not often debris is so smooth.

Rocky shores, the riding gets a bit difficult again.

After some mixed riding I get to an intersection of the not really existing but marked path with a well used one. Nearly... nearly it's all just downhill.

Looking back. I came from the left.
Constantly above 2750 m.

Fuorcla Prünella, Fuorcla Tschüffer and Fuorcla Pischa. Passes with very little vert gain/loss between them in a colourful landscape. Desolation can be lovely.

I start the long descent over chunky rocks and by accident leave the main single track for a faint path that turns out to be a short cut. I'm not really happy when I realise my minor error, but then I spot a small group of ibexes... time stops.

Time stops for a moment of eternity. The world around me stops as I watch them move up to a sheltered spot

I continue and am soon in riding mode.

And again. This time a group of about 30 ibexes

The riding gets challenging as I drop down the steep section to the Lei Languard. 150 m vert loss, but I can barely hold my weight in the right position on the bike.

A strenuous effort with my fading energy. I have to dig deep for even the basic trial moves.

And then my heart drops a bit; another climb. Just 50 m vert gain are enough to lower my spirits. I sit down and text my girlfriend that I'll be down soon.

As I reach the broad ridge my spirits go through the roof and stay there for the following 700 m vert loss of one of the most amazing descents I ever came across. Rarely steep it uses the grade in a most playful manner, often fast and flowy yet interspersed with big rocks and uncountable switchbacks. Rocks and drops so big, I hit my chain ring. Near vertical choppy slabs squeeze the last bit of power out of my upper body.
My hands are in pain as if they were sprained.
I charge as good as I can and try to keep momentum, completely submerged in the track on the way down.

Boom! Touch down. The world has me back.
Empty. Empty batteries and I don't know what to do with myself. I just keep on rolling down. Downhill on easy double tracks in search of food.

I cruise for a few kilometers to the next village with a small shop which still should be open.

I find the shop and eat as much as I can hold whilst it's getting dark. I leave the Migrolino shop in Samedan and head out, once again, along the Inn in search of a bivy spot.

The frog seemed to like my quilt, but I put him away, afraid I might squash him in the sleep. After heating some water for various food I try to make a plan for tomorrow. My last day... I still don't know what to do with myself...
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Great pictures Gian.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Fantastic trip, bike and mountains. Cheers for the write up :-bd seriously jealous :grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Thanks guys.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/metg/album/lake-district/

me and my make adam ALLMOUNTAIN (enduro is just racing!!! ) "bikepacking " back in 2011 , we use to do this lots in the lakes
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Single Speed George wrote:https://www.pinkbike.com/u/metg/album/lake-district/

me and my make adam ALLMOUNTAIN (enduro is just racing!!! ) "bikepacking " back in 2011 , we use to do this lots in the lakes
Great stuff :-bd
I'd love to visit the lakes again.

You're right, we can call it what ever we like. In the end we're just playing around outdoors, be it if we're racing against our selves or just bivying next to the bike with a dram (or both).

Not that I mind, but no shuttles in the lakes I guess?
Whilst I shuttle myself every now and then shuttles bring a much more detrimental effect to tracks and more than non shuttle-able rides.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Somehow I'd not read any of this. Until earlier, now I've read all of it in one sitting. What a journey. Great to see those images and read those words.

Thanks for taking the time :-bd

I need to spend more time in the Alps. That is all.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheers Ian. You're welcome to stay at our place.
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

end we're just playing around outdoors
We are !
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

*cough*

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Inspired by Gians antics last year, I now have a Pivot Mach6 frame in my basement to be built up. In 4 weeks, I also have 6 weeks off work having handed in my notice.

If I can, I'm going to take a page from your book and try to drop as much vertical descending into a planned ride. Lift, push, or pedal assisted - I do not care.

Make it so.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

:-bd

Likely from July 20th to Aug 1st I'll give the Raetic Trail another try. Try to tame the beast.

You're welcome to give it a try too. I promise that any other bikepacking route will be seen in a different light.

Happy building of the Mach.