Endurobikepacking

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Endurobikepacking

Post by Alpinum »

Endurobikepacking.

Basically, have your gear for a bunch of nights out strapped to your back and maybe a little to your bike, use post busses, cable cars and other means of public transport (you get it, this is Switzerland) if you plan to ride in an area which has this infrastructure and do loads of (mostly downhill) riding.

If you're riding various trails from a mountain or area deposit the gear for the ease of throwing your bike around when things go downhill and rough.

Sleep high for a long breakfast descent.

I'm off to the Valais to break in my new long travel trail bike. Last night I bundled together some fabric for a frame bag. This time I'll deposit some of my gear in the valley and ride with what's needed for the day only. In the evening I'll go back to fetch my gear and head up a mountain for the night. So there's actually only a short ride in the evening and morning with the bivvy stuff.

mountainbaker

Re: Endurobikepacking

Post by mountainbaker »

That bike is lovely Gian, looks super fun. Loving the concealed shock too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What's the bike? Looks interesting for a full suspension, lots of space in the frame.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheers Gabe.
Truly is a shyte load of fun. More responsive and agile than most comparable long travel 29er. Not as much of a mini DH-horse-drawn sledge as some offerings, just ideal for techy Alpine stuff. But I'll take it to some DH race tracks too, just to (try and) see how hard this bike can be pushed before it feel out of its paces. Very likely not a bike that will hold me back any where though.
Last but not least it's extremely well engineered and thought through.
whitestone wrote:What's the bike? Looks interesting for a full suspension, lots of space in the frame.
Bold Linkin Trail LT. There's also a little sister of this beast, as 150-160 mm may be too much for many riders and types of riding. It's got 130-140 mm travel and shares all but the link and seat stays.

Very true about the amount of space. Fits loads for a FS. Not to forget the big fat frame structures, they go well with a an over wide framebag. The one I made if full of stuff now, bulges a bit and is 6.5-7 cm wide at the fabric which runs around the side panels.

http://boldcycles.com/

This is the 2 step lock out trigger. 1. step firms things up a bit. Like the middle position (blue switch) at position 2 (black knob) on a Fox Float.
2. step is what you'd only want on tarmac or smooth gravel grinds. The bike sits higher in the suspension, sag goes from eg 37 % to perhaps 5 %. Fully opened it's as bob free as any 150-160 mm bike you can imagine. From a bunch of similar bikes I've tested (Norco Range, Trek Slash and the 'old' Remedy, BMC Trailfox, Spec Enduro and a little more) only Yeti's SB bike are comparably pedal neutral. If closed it's as stiff as Scott's Genius bikes.
I'll cut the trigger down a bit for better placement.
On the very few rides and during the test ride I used it a lot.

Edit. 'DH horse-drawn sledge' wtf?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bike and plans both appeal a lot here.. Will keep an eye out for the follow-up.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Swear filter + DH-horse-drawn sledge sans '-'

DH horse-drawn sledge

Nice little surprise
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A good job I was sat down when I saw the price :shock:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Still trying to work out where the shock is :oops:

Bloody nice. I am absolutely not going to go and look at how much one costs though. I don't want to know.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote:A good job I was sat down when I saw the price :shock:
I've had a few bike even hit the 10000 CHF mark and never paid the full price.
I don't think any bike, no matter how posh, boutique and bling, needs to cost the end consumer more than 6700 chf. Same applies for this one. On the other hand it's my passion. Wrong place to save money imo.

But yes, still a shyte load of money. Gets nearly 7 nepali citizenships paid for tibetan refugees... seven... new hopes, new life in foreign country...
thenorthwind wrote:Still trying to work out where the shock is :oops:

Bloody nice. I am absolutely not going to go and look at how much one costs though. I don't want to know.
The shock gets actuated by the black ali link that says LT on it. It enters the frame at the large bearing on a 30 mm axle and then, hidden in the frame, is actually near vertical and pushes the upside down mounted shock towards the bottom bracket. The lower shock mount is just in front of the bottom bracket (which unfortunately isn't threaded).
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Damn hot looking bike Gian. Love it. Really clean.

I'm down your way late August/September. Would be good to meet up for some sub standard beer and cheese.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I like that a lot, I also like the idea a lot

Does the rear shock risk getting covered in crap? Or is there some form of protection for it?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote:Damn hot looking bike Gian. Love it. Really clean.

I'm down your way late August/September. Would be good to meet up for some sub standard beer and cheese.
Yeah, fell in love with the blue colour scheme which is new for 2017.

Quite a lot of cables at the front, but besides that they don't get much tidier.

Grand!
Always very welcome to stay at our place in the Emmental. Home of super cheese and one of the best breweries I know. I'll make sure to get some of their best brews in.
Will stay in touch. On 16.8. I'm off to a self sketched out route in the Engadin for 5-6 days. Just saying :wink: loads of HAB.

Seriously, feel free to stay at our place.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote:I like that a lot, I also like the idea a lot

Does the rear shock risk getting covered in crap? Or is there some form of protection for it?
There's a sturdy piece of plastic secured with two screws that covers the opening to the shock. To take the shock out is just about as easy as is with other designs. Not quite as easy as with Trek, BMC, Niner etc. but still straight forward. Rebound and pressure can be adjusted after taking the plastic cover off.

One of the ideas is to protect the shock.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The shock gets actuated by the black ali link that says LT on it. It enters the frame at the large bearing on a 30 mm axle and then, hidden in the frame, is actually near vertical and pushes the upside down mounted shock towards the bottom bracket. The lower shock mount is just in front of the bottom bracket (which unfortunately isn't threaded).
I figured it must be there but couldn't quite see it in my head.
Now that I've worked out where it is... yes, it's called 'the bike' :wink:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

So much bike envy, it feels like a sin! Just as well it wouldn't fit me or I would be at risk of blowing the house maintenance fund for the next decade...

Have you popped it on the scales yet?

The concept of using transport to maximise the fun sounds great, especially where there is so much fun to be had (although I struggle with the marketing buzzword that starts with E!). I am looking into this lift-assist MTB trip through Austria, but have been warned I might feel the force of the Law if I bivi out overnight. Not sure if there are any lodges to use instead and keep Accom costs down.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:So much bike envy, it feels like a sin! Just as well it wouldn't fit me or I would be at risk of blowing the house maintenance fund for the next decade...

Have you popped it on the scales yet?

The concept of using transport to maximise the fun sounds great, especially where there is so much fun to be had (although I struggle with the marketing buzzword that starts with E!). I am looking into this lift-assist MTB trip through Austria, but have been warned I might feel the force of the Law if I bivi out overnight. Not sure if there are any lodges to use instead and keep Accom costs down.
Just waiting for the post bus. 3rd time now. Last ride is not just all downhill though. Bike is brutally fast, I have to reconsider my speed. Popping off and over obstacles, gaping things I rather shouldn't becouse it carries so much speed.
Feel the stiff wheels. A bit more feedback and skippier then the test bike I rode lately. Needed to adjust the damping on the fork. Last descent I stuck to it and rode without breaks and I'm quite sure I could feel the shock feeling less subtle. Also running pressure a bit on the high side.

As it is on the photos exactly 13 kg.

Rather use public transport then usee an e-bike. For now... who knows what future brings...
And for all those regions with out p.t.... put much carbon on the bike :lol:
And the other E... the one you actually must have meant... well, I know people on here aren't too keen of it, so I used it on purpose on the title...

Don't know about the laws for bivvying in Austria, in Switzerland you can't really go wrong except for very very few spots.

That Tirol trip looks stunning. We do similar stuff in the Swiss Alps but I've not yet covered that distance in one trip in the Alps :oops:
Thanks for pointing out.

Techy riding with gear isn't too bad if you can keep weight really low.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

My wrists are still aching, the insides of my thighs still bruised and my mind still up there...
(fotos all from smartphone...)

Day starts (late) with depositing my bivvy gear and hopping on a post bus.
I meet a Trek designer and show him some single tracks.
Immediately I feel the brutal speed of the bike. Well, I don't feel it, but realise how fast I'm going when I hop over obstacles and land way later than anticipated.
I make a few little mistakes that call me back into reality. Near crashes in really rough, rocky terrain... This bike can be scary...

After some gravity fed biking, I ride a traverse with many ups and downs, once easy, then a bit more challenging. No matter what I ride, the bike really is a big help in my riding. Never in my way, always supportive.

A few pedal kicks, some pumping and stuff like this is cleared

Left...

or right?
I went left. Will have to come again for right...

I hammer around an old alp hut over big rocks and past some wood planks, ride a corner hard an hissssssss.... loose air. 5 min later, half a maxalami less I'm riding again. Still holding...

A long descent takes me to the valley floor. I pick up my bivvy gear and take a public transport up to about 1900 m.a.s.l. from where I ride a little into the dark to find a place to bivvy. One with a view.
Also one in the wind. 3 °C, a mere 300 g selfmade synthetic Quilt... no.. I wasn't warm. Yes, my girlfriend said I should take my selfmade down quilt - only 100 g heavier, but much warmer...

Next day I picked a fantastic single track to take me around a few mountains

With rideable, but tricky sections...

And non rideable old, hardpacked snow

An alp

Even steep uphills are fun with this bike

Finally the flat summit. Soaking up the stunning views of many 4000 m summits and deep valleys. Not just a bikers paradise.

What follows is one of the more techy descents near Visp. This is a rather easy bit. I was focused on riding the really difficult stuff to stop and forgot to take photos.
Remember the former direct descent to Shenavall in the Fisherfield along the small ravine? That's about the level of difficulty. That's why I wear knee pads.
After this utterly steep breakfast ride I go for a Kebab and deposit my bivvy gear.

The rest of the day is spent riding on two different sides of the Rhone valley, getting to know again some single tracks I've not ridden in about 8 years.
Later on I fetch my gear once again and head to the old town of Visp for a deli pizza and to meet up with friends who are staying in Visp. After that I ride off into the settling day in search of a warmer, less windy bivvy spot.

A new day. The Rhone valley isn't pretty, but it sure shone on that morning.

Then the probably oddest ride I've ever ridden followed as I rode passt huge motorway and traintrack constructions which nearly ended in climbing a fence...
Then there was this single track...

Next thing was to go high, to give the bike its first descent of more than 2000 vert m loss in one go.
This in one of my favourite regions.
What comes down needs to go up first... Pushing up the track I'll soon ride down. Getting an idea of the conditions.
Ridge ride

2720 m. Facing SSW. How can name all 4000 m summits?

Face North-ish. How can name the three big lumps?

Talking about lumps. quite some work to ride them.

The eagle will fix this. Lock-out the rear shock, smallest gear then hammer it up.

Such a wonderful section. Goes on for quite a while

Following an old track through the flowers

pioneer forest.

The superbike

This bike is a game changer. I've not ridden a bike so capable in so many different aspects of mountainbiking.
No matter what I rode, it simply never felt out of place.
It's sheers speed is incredible, but even more amazing is how playful and gentle is stays when things get rowdy. The stiffnes of the wheels and frame give it a 26" feel of precision, but may not be for everyone. Solution? Lighter carbon rims, or equally light ali rims to make the wheels more compliant. But the amount of feedback of the terrain and what the tyres are doing helps me squeeze more performance out of the bike and most of all the direct feel is so much more fun.

I'll get my fork in about two weeks time and from what I get the handling will be even better, as the Yari fork, despite 3 tokens and faffing with damping, wasn't capable of giving the support I need.
The only thing I'll adapt depending on the trip is pedals and tyres.

Bold has designed a bike that's as close as I can imagine to a do it all bike for alpine tracks with gravity oriented riders.

Their 130/140 mm platform even more capable, if gravity isn't that much of a focus.

My BMC Fourstroke (2 x Highlandtrail, nearly Wales C2C, Jersey-Shetland etc. etc.) with about 110 mm suspension bobs more under pedalling than this 154 mm beast. The Bold climbs better, is much stiffer, more responsive (not alway better) and is in the similar weight class. Point it downhill and the Bold is one of the fastest bikes on alpine single tracks I've ever ridden. Will take it to a DH-Racetrack to see how hard it or I can go...
It's odd to compare a marathon bike to a bike with which I can happily race down DH-Racetracks, but that what this bike is about.

I've plans for some proper bikepacking trips (with out deposit) with it, some more assisted, other not at all. Will keep posting here.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Enjoyed reading that thanks Gian

Looks a cracking way to go bikepacking!!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

FLV wrote:Enjoyed reading that thanks Gian

Looks a cracking way to go bikepacking!!
Cheers Dave.
giryan

Post by giryan »

That looks like an amazing trip, and a stunningly good bike! :D
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Thanks for that Gian, nice to see someone out riding a long way in technical terrain rather than the longer easier riding. What sort of distance did you manage to cover? Villages for re-supply?
Alpinum wrote: Remember the former direct descent to Shenavall in the Fisherfield along the small ravine? That's about the level of difficulty. That's why I wear knee pads.
After this utterly steep breakfast ride I go for a Kebab and deposit my bivvy gear.
Had a smile at this, that section was interesting. Very much embedded in my brain and right knee after one slip.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

giryan wrote:That looks like an amazing trip, and a stunningly good bike! :D
Cheers.

Well it may not be for everyone, but exactly what I was looking for.
Tested many bikes of a certain pedigree over about 6 weeks and ended up with this bold cycle.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote:Thanks for that Gian, nice to see someone out riding a long way in technical terrain rather than the longer easier riding. What sort of distance did you manage to cover? Villages for re-supply?
Alpinum wrote: Remember the former direct descent to Shenavall in the Fisherfield along the small ravine? That's about the level of difficulty. That's why I wear knee pads.
Had a smile at this, that section was interesting. Very much embedded in my brain and right knee after one slip.
Well... not that much, but I was enjoying the descents so much, I blew my legs and arms more than on any other long distance ride.
Day two was the longest and only full day with 68 km and 967 m vert gain. Vert loss is what counts here for me and it was at about 5000 m.

Oh, possibilities for food/resupply are endless. Alp huts, SAC huts... you can hardly ride more than 20 km without coming past one...

It's less the distance but the amount if time to get from A to B. Mostly I move at about 10 km/h, so from eg Gspon to Visp, about 500 m up and about 1500 m down at 20 km distance (morning day 2) it took me 2 h and a bit. Some tough terrain in there, as I tend to be in the zone in the tricky bits and take fotos where it's easy(ier). If I had climbed the full 1500 m up, it easily would have been another 1.5 h added. That weekend is on my Strava should you be interested.

I've sketched out a bikepacking route in the Engadin and plan to start the ride on Aug. 15/16th. Should take me 5 or 6 days. Very trail heavy. Longest leg between resupply (villages, alp huts, SAC huts etc) will probably be around 4-5 h max.
I hope to cover 100 km and 4000 m vert gain a day roughly. For me, 4000 m of climbing is a shut load. Loads of it is pushing and carrying, stulid what some do only for some DH fun :wink: .

The distance is of less importance... same with long distance hiking. In the Alps it's more the vert gain and loss you have to factor in, not the distance. Well... at least that's how it influences my travelling. Quite sure you've come to the same conclusion on your visits, be it running our mountainbiking.

So... will be interesting... if my will to pull it off is big enough. Surely I have the right bike to facilitate efficient travel and especially - fun descents. And the last rides severely boosted my ego :???:

Lovely little ravine. Shame Alan took it out. Was a good challenge. Well, perhaps too sketchy if you're organising things (?)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

5,000m of vertical loss.... on trail? Wow, now that I envy.

Distances covered are more than I expected, impressed Gian.