SPAM ALERT - riding in Nepal

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

SPAM ALERT - riding in Nepal

Post by jameso »

Trip report here -

https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/ ... l-part-one

With apologies for a link to another site ... it was written for the Evans blog in return for the flight ticket to Lukla and extended Taipei show away time. Fair deal : )

In short - we carried our bikes most of the time, got to a stunning trail down from a pass where I didn't even get to ride the top section due to altitude issues, and it was an amazing trip. One of those rides where the plans fell apart early on and left us with what felt like much more of an adventure.

And we got to ride in this -

A Russian helicopter out to a small town followed by a ride over some incredibly large hills then 10 hours in a thumbed-down jeep, back to Kathmandu.
But that was at the end of this ride and the start of part 2 of the trip that I've not written yet - out to the Langtang region where as we found, "Lang-Tang ain't nuthin' ta fk with" (one of our group is into hip hop - apparently that's paraphrasing a Wu-Tang line .. who knew eh .. )

Everest region pics from the first 5 days -

Trail back towards Namche Bazaar - making way for the traffic, don't get caught on the wrong side of the trail when they come through.

Riding back down, the day after the snowfall

That distant peak in the centre is the top 1000m or so of Everest - first view of it, just after dawn on a hill above Namche Bazazar.

Another view from early am above Namche Bazaar. We were there for a couple of days while we tried to get passes arranged.

Bike at the park border. This is where it all went a bit wrong for a day or two. Nepal SIM card and many calls needed.

The unridden trail - one of the best days I've had on a bike.

Quite exposed in places, we carried and walked our bikes regularly -

Timing was good on the 5400m pass - as we got back it started to snow.
gairym

Re: SPAM ALERT - riding in Nepal

Post by gairym »

Looks terrible, sorry you had to endure such an ordeal (you lucky, lucky, bugger!).

A proper adventure!
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

That looks just fantastic. Cracking pics, I'll have a read of the blog tonight.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice one James. Enjoyed hearing about the trip but seeing pics always improves things
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

A-may-zing!

Love the idea of going back out there, but the reality is high altitude and ropey food hygiene always conspire to fck me up...