The Bikepacker's Guide to not winning the Highland Trail.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Volume II.

"In relating the folly of my thoughts - how I raised my game, yet underestimated my rivals - my aim is only to provide a more honest and human account of the race; to complete the portrait of the competitor who thinks, as well as pedals, no matter how illogical his thoughts may be."

Thanks for reading.
Philip

padonbike.wordpress.com
whitestone

Re: The Bikepacker's Guide to not winning the Highland Trail

Post by whitestone »

Nice one Phillip. Didn't realise that Florian had been riding with you guys in the front pack on day one, he passed me on the Postman's Path at that gully and rode through to the finish.

Interesting that you walk the very steep bit down the Ben Alder descent, it's got one of the worst water bars on the route halfway down and a fall wouldn't be nice. Discretion, etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Yep Florian set off pretty fast. Neil was quite amused by how fast he was going to Ben Alder.

When I doubt I always dismount; it's less stressful than trying to ride it and a lot less risky.

I lose hours on everyone sleeping longer, so I might as well lose a few more seconds at obstacles too! :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

That was about the best HT550 (and other ride) report I've ever read. Brutally honest and really interesting. I ended up going to bed late after starting because I couldn't stop.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Hey thanks Dave, I appreciate that!
I certainly put a few hours into it .... not quite sure which actually took longer in the end: the race or the report!
:roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I thought it was never going to end!!

Another fascinating insight- thanks for taking the time to write it out and for posting it. You've a mindset I can barely comprehend, but that's plainly what's needed to be at the sharp end.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I thought it was never going to end!!
Thanks! Once I got started, I just wanted to get down everything I could.
It will be nice for me to read back over when I'm an even older man than I am now! :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dave Barter wrote:That was about the best HT550 (and other ride) report I've ever read. Brutally honest and really interesting. I ended up going to bed late after starting because I couldn't stop.
+1 - kept me up way past my bed time! Well written and riveting. I think the title is bit negative as by any reckonning it was a major achievement. :-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks htrider!
I think the title is bit negative as by any reckonning it was a major achievement.
To be honest I was trying to mix self-deprecating humour with .... The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. LOL :ugeek:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

What a thoughtful reflection on this most incredible event. Thanks for the considerable effort you have clearly put into sharing your experience.
whitestone wrote:Interesting that you walk the very steep bit down the Ben Alder descent, it's got one of the worst water bars on the route halfway down and a fall wouldn't be nice. Discretion, etc.
I crashed on that bit and bent my rear derailleur - could have been race ending if I hadn't got to Bothy Bikes before it closed. Not a clever move!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Enjoyed that Phil.

Top level of homework.

Interesting the concept of previous riding knowledge on saving time vs Neil who had no prior, though who (wisely) asked a couple of pre race questions.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

What a thoughtful reflection on this most incredible event. Thanks for the considerable effort you have clearly put into sharing your experience.
Thanks very much. I've had some fantastic feedback from people, so the long hours writing it were worth it.
It's not only the Ben Alder descent that's on my list of get off and walk places!

Hi Rich, I think the history of the race shows that people who go at the route fairly blind actually have a greater success rate than the students of every tussock of grass - like myself! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've read that over two days, someone's got to do some work :wink:

A really great story. Congratulations and thanks :cool:
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

I've read that over two days, someone's got to do some work :wink:

A really great story. Congratulations and thanks :cool:
My pleasure -thanks for taking the time to read it. :-bd
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I read this over last couple of days. Excellent read. Inspiring stuff. Thanks for taking the time to write about it.

Mike
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Cheers Mike! Glad you liked it.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Excellent write up. Like some of the above, it gave me a much later night than I had planned. How I got any work done after only 7 or 8 hours conformable sleep I will never know...

Has kind of reinforced my view though that although I like the thought of riding the route, the thought of racing it is far beyond me. For now...
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

:-bd Just vaguely exciting. I remember the Glen Ling slither you mention, it made my bottom lip quiver, but at the road a local jumped out and shouted at me 'Highland 550?' I nodded from under my hood (It was lashing down) 'Then sir, I salute you!' and he stood parade erect and presented a sharp salute as I rolled past - splashing him. I enjoyed reading your blog and it was good to meet you heading south at the OBH interchange - at first I thought "This ones going the wrong way' then my muddled mind realised you were heading for home and I still had to do the loop! Johnny.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Thanks Mechanicaldope! Glad you liked it.

It was a bit weird seeing you Johnny, but glad I did even if just for a minute.
I was a bit out of it as I had skipped OBH food (even though it was open) and was on a mission to get to Ullapool .... because of an urgent appointment with the butcher and FOUR scotch pies!
Hope you enjoyed it and found it rewarding too.
:smile: