And another HT550 ramble

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Re: And another HT550 ramble

Post by AlasdairMc »

You'd never ridden the Postman's Path?!? I thought it was you that suggested it in the first place! As you might have gathered, it wasn't my favourite part of the route, probably down to the apparent lack of progress I made along it. That said, it was a necessary evil and it beats the long road drag from the Tollie Path.

I liked your write-up, and I see a lot of parallels with my experiences, especially around the second completion to prove the first wasn't a fluke! I also completely agree about the 'racing' element of the ride, because I didn't intentionally go fast but still dropped over a day off my first completion time by riding more and stopping less.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Thats a really, really good write up.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AlasdairMc wrote:You'd never ridden the Postman's Path?!? I thought it was you that suggested it in the first place! As you might have gathered, it wasn't my favourite part of the route, probably down to the apparent lack of progress I made along it. That said, it was a necessary evil and it beats the long road drag from the Tollie Path.
Nah nowt to do with me - in fact I was highly dubious when Alan suggested it based on a friends experiences plus I liked the Tollie path!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I didn't mind the Tollie Path climb, but the descent wasn't my favourite, perhaps because I did it in the dark in 2014.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Excellent write up Phil. Well done for the ride as well!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Nice one Phil.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks all for the positive comments - I've posted up a bit on the kit I took which is probably of limited interest to most but at least acts as an aide memoir for me for future trips
http://philsbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/ ... stuff.html
Phil
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

Great write up Phil, you put in two incredible days at the end there! Pleasure riding with you!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ianpv wrote:Great write up Phil, you put in two incredible days at the end there! Pleasure riding with you!
Cheers buddy, likewise
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Cracking report Phil, chimes very closely with my experience, and I suspect we where never more than 2 hours apart throughout, so got the good and bad weather around the same time! I was also having some words with myself during the Fisherfield storm, with only a down vest as my spare mid-layer, which would have died just getting it on in that rain; stopping was not an option. I think it is a testament to the skill, but mostly the judgement of the riders who take on this event that we have not had any serious incidents when traversing such remote and tricky trails with minimal kit!

Also enjoyed Bob and your articles on equipment - I do tend to geek out on this stuff more than is healthy, but for me that's an important part for pre-event confidence, knowing you are carrying the bare minimum to get round but still be able to deal with the most likely 'contingencies'. Thinking about a Lofoten tent next time, after my condensation filled bivi bag experiences, although at least that motivated me to get up early as it was so uncomfortable...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Much as I like down kit, the conditions we had over the top of Fisherfield were a prime candidate for synthetic insulation.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Much as I like down kit, the conditions we had over the top of Fisherfield were a prime candidate for synthetic insulation.
I had a thin fleece to cover that eventuality. Unfortunately I'd stashed it just out of fort bill by the time I needed it and ended up wearing my quilt as a reverse facing cape!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Reading the tales of the fast lot I reckon the 4 days 10 - 5 days 10hrs finishers got the best of the weather. The fast folk ran into the back of the rain system loitering over the north west which was long gone by the time we got there and the dampness we experienced through Fisherfield seemed to be worse for the guys heading east along glen Affric. Plus we got a lovely days biking on wednesday when the fast lot were sat in the cafe at Tyndrum! Coming over the devils staircase on Wednesday night / thurs morning at dark o'clock I was roasting and was ditching layers at first light.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

Thank you for sharing. Great write up and terrific ride. I'm alwsys curious what poeple eat!