Mawddach trail

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Mawddach trail

Post by ootini »

I'm writing this on a mobile, so forgive any typos please. Also, I'll add pictures soon.

I took the wife and son down to Dolgellau last week, as due to work, I don't think we'll be able to make the TBB event in two weeks.
We got to Dolgellau, pulled up in the large car park at the head of the trail and got the kit sorted out including my three year olds new Weehoo Igo trailer. The weather was overcast but warm and off we went. About half a mile past the pub (George III?) We pulled over so my son could have a drink and snack.
This is where the trailer caught a puncture. Then the horror dawned on me, I had two 27.5 tubes for the bikes, but hadn't even considered the trailer! Also, the trailer has a single speed free hub setup so George can pedal along if he wants, this meant I had no idea how the hell to get the wheel off. So I figured our only option was try to make it to the campsite, pumping the tyre up every now and again. Which did work to be fair.
We got to Graig Wen and wow, what a walk! We were staying in the middle, family camping field, which was empty on the first day. We had to pitch two tents; the Vango for my wife and son, and I was in the cheap sh!tty Yellowstone 1 man affair.
Using some genius cells I managed to use the sink provided to find the puncture in the trailers tube and patch it. Then we headed off through the mist to Barmouth for fish n chips. (and beer).
That evening it was midge central. Seriously, big black clouds of the horrific little b*stards. To the point that we simply couldn't stay outside the tents, so we had an early night. I couldn't sleep much due to the heat making me want to sleep uncovered, but to counter that, it turns out the netting of the Yellowstone tent is coarse enough that the midges could simply fly in and feast on me.
Not a pleasant evening. New tent needed.
Next day however was clear, sunny and scorching hot, so we headed to the beach for the day.
The heat dried the air out so that night was relatively midge free. I'd bought some jungle formula in Barmouth, which actually might not have been needed. I made a silly mistake, I sprayed it on to The vents of The Yellowstone tent, its had some kind of reaction with The material which, or may not be fatal, need to check it today. It made The nylon sticky and look like it was melting.
The next day we headed back to Dolgellau, again in the blazing sun. It was George's first "experience" of bikepacking and considering he's only 3, he loved it.
The Weehoo Igo trailer is definitely my favourite investment so far, much easier to control than the wider Halfords trailer we used to use.
Zoe's new Marin Wildcat WFG hardtail is ace (better than my KTM, but don't tell her). The 1x10 gearing is much more her thing, the bike is much lighter than the Emmelle POS she used to ride and it generally fits her much better.

Things to remember:
Take a tube for the trailer.
Learn to take the trailer wheel off.
Use Jungle Formula.
But not on the tent.
Take sunglasses, but take them off from time to time to avoid Panda eyes.

Last edited by ootini on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard G

Re: Mawddach trail

Post by Richard G »

Sounds like you bought something with DEET in it, which has a habit of melting plastic / nylon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Richard G wrote:Sounds like you bought something with DEET in it, which has a habit of melting plastic / nylon.
I've washed the fly in cold water and it seems a lot better now. Just some staining.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Added pics