Highland Trail race 2016

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Javi

Highland Trail race 2016

Post by Javi »

It took me quite a lot of time and there are no many pics. Here it is my write up.
If anyone got some questions feel free to ask
http://aplbike.blogspot.com/2016/06/hig ... rsion.html
padonbike

Re: Highland Trail race 2016

Post by padonbike »

Really enjoyed reading this. Still living off the memories.
SRS

Post by SRS »

Hi Javi,
Thanks for writing that, it was good to read.
Can I ask a few questions about your training?
How many hours per week did you put in on average?
Was all your training done off road and riding single speed?
Did you mix in high intensity sessions or was your training all based on long and steady distance?
Thanks very much,
Simon.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thanks Javi, excellent write up. Makes me regret choosing the Tuscany Trail this year instead of the HT..... I think you will be back next year!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Enjoyed reading that Javi :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks Javi, enjoyed that.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Thanks guys :)
SRS wrote:Hi Javi,
Thanks for writing that, it was good to read.
Can I ask a few questions about your training?
How many hours per week did you put in on average?
Was all your training done off road and riding single speed?
Did you mix in high intensity sessions or was your training all based on long and steady distance?
Thanks very much,
Simon.
Hi Simon,
On average last year around 14 hours a week but I think I'm more around 12 hours average this year. Many of them were on mountain bike last summer touring in Central Europe. I own 2 bikes and both are ss. One is a cross bike for commuting and winter rides but the best results come when I put the miles on the mountain bike, as it's full body work out. Last winter barely took the mountain bike other than 3 races and maybe a couple of days, other winters I ride more the mtb though.
Of course, I mix high intensity sessions. Sometimes my morning commute is full of short sprints. Other times I try to ride some steep hills on the commuter. I've plotted a 6km singletrack hilly loop, very hard, and I can do it only if there's no mud.
Long rides, yes. At least one very long ride per month, about 15-18 hours. I remember a very long one on Christmas day in the Chilterns, another 280km loop 17 hour ride in March or Feb. Then Braunton 150 bikepacking race. In April I did 400 km 2 day ride weekend on the mtb.
For the HTR I rode a little bit in Dalbeattie on Sunday and then on Friday before I did some uphill sprints after 1 hour gentle ride to wake up my body. 10days before race I also did 300 km 2 day ride following part of the HTR, carrying all the stuff I'd use for the race.

For climbing, a short crank, short legs, oval ring and light weight helps a lot. I'm just the average Joe who likes to ride, train, race and travel on the bike. Started mountain biking at 35yo..8 years ago.

Last summer I was on gears for a couple of events in the Alps, Sellaronda Hero and MB race

Steve, I read about the disastrous weather of the Tuscany Trail. Bad luck! Next year not sure if I do the HTR because I'm looking at 24h solo WEMBO in FInale Ligure, same dates. But I had such an amazing time that I may not resist the temptation to do it again,
SRS

Post by SRS »

That's really helpful, thanks Javi. My mountain bike is singlespeed, but I do the vast majority of my training on the geared road bike. Knowing the details of the training you put in is extremely helpful if I decide to give this a go. Thanks again and congratulations on the podium finish.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Great write up Javi and well done again
Phil
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That was a great read Javi and a great result, congratulations again.

Who would of thought that the Braunton 150 would be torrential rain and the HT550 would be (mostly) sunshine :smile:

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
philipft

Post by philipft »

Hoping this link works, my view if anyone would like to read

Here’s the link to my shared document:

https://www.icloud.com/pages/000mLEkw6e ... ht550_2016
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

A fun read Javi. And finally there's a good picture of me starting :lol: Enjoyed it, thanks

Great soulful write up Philip :-bd
After a very serious moment escaping a winter storm on a solo climb up Aiguille de Blaitière's west face I felt like glass. For a full day back home I felt fragile like never before. Your report just took me back to that intense moment. Thank you.

Thank's to all for all those lovely reports.

Gian