Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Todays ride

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote:I wish you'd stop posting those photos Colin....

I know how much you look forward to them though!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm just miffed that today was "the day" to go out and circumstances conspired against me only being able to go on a short local ride....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Feshie Sculpture Park Car Park
10:30
Tomorrow
??
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tah but going head up my local hills as the snow conditions looked great up there on my wee ride today. I'll try and remember the camera for some lowland snow scenes
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well the snow's still here :grin: (but not for much longer :cry: ). We went for a short spin around Malham Tarn.

Passing in front of Great Close Scar.

The tarn was just about completely frozen over but certainly not thick enough to venture out on to ...

Going past Malham Tarn House we startled a Roe deer, it was obviously habituated to humans as it just jumped out of our way then stood looking at us from about ten metres away but by the time I'd got the camera out it had started to wander off.

Not that Game of Thrones lane thing ...

Heading back from the Cove Road to the car park at the tarn.

Once back at the car we had a play around with tyre pressures to see the effect. Squishy and pretty remarkable was the verdict. Cafe stop in Airton on the way back then by the time we were on the way home it had started to rain. Definitely got the best of the day.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

What a great weekend that was :cool:

Had a great couple days riding in my back yard of northern Snowdonia, A great ride on familiar tracks with an overnight stay at the climbers hut, Eigiau cottage (and yes I know it doesn't count towards BAM as its paid for accomodation)

ImageIMG_20190202_220359_274 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190202_140119 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

First time using pogies and I'm well impressed
Image20190202_130008 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190203_075433 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190203_080720 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190202_130022 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190203_143351 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

See you lot and your fancy scenic photos....
This is more like it
After all the nice weather, inevitably when I was able to get up into the hills it had clagged in. Not only that but the temps had gone up so the nice soft powder snow was consolidating into a glue like consistency making the climb to this point and absolute brute. The pain and suffering continued as there were large pockets of windslab to plough through so by the time I got down to lower altitudes and easier going, I was utterly broken...

Down in glen devon

Although the snowfall from this morning was pretty wet, the frozen ground meant it had stayed and everything was still pretty solid. Still some hard work to get round the hills and back to civilisation, the last few miles home were done at a pathetically slow pace. 60k took 6 and a half hours.....
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

htrider wrote:...a pathetically slow pace.
Just a little morning ride for me, but I rather enjoyed pottering about, no rush.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtbZcmQFHSb
FLV

Post by FLV »

FLV wrote:
whitestone wrote:Went for a ride up the local hill and took the GoPro as I haven't used it for a while. Nice and chilly and some clear skies for once. Just a dusting of snow down at our level but on the tops there was around 2-3cm, with frozen ground it didn't hinder progress too much.

Don't think you can embed video on here so here's the link https://player.vimeo.com/video/314842283
Looks idyllic, pretty sure if I try to follow suit tomorrow it'll be all slush and frozen bum cracks :grin:
Saturday was really rather good

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SqUSLE]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dbhY6v]Image
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nice afternoon out getting battered by the winds!

Just rebuilt my el mariachi had some new hand pain but I think it's due to riding with Jones bars set totally flat. Needs some experiments
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Looks amazing!! wish i went out myself today, no real good excuse as other people went out. Some amazing pictures!! :grin:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

As the lamb was roasting I managed to get a local spin up to the nearby hill with views over my hometown and down the Conwy valley with the Carneddau mountain range in the distance...

Image20190210_143550 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Been working on this for a while now. A long commute from Dewsbury to Scarborough. But with it being an 85 mile journey I have to be careful that I dont arrive half dead.

A few times before I've ended up getting a train for the first 15 or so miles or towards the end if the fatigue has started kicking in I abort and get the train (from Malton to Seamer and then the final few miles to work). Most Ive done cycling on this so far has been 65 miles up until today.

Departed at 1pm after having had a good sleep and went at a good pace for first 40 miles. Started struggling a little (not sure if it was mentally or physically) so slowed down a notch. At the 50 miles mark I went over a speed hump, should have slowed down as I heard a bang and my plastic container with soup tied on top my Apidura 9L Saddlebag was on the floor behind me.. Havig cracked the edge if the lid it had to go in a nearby bin as I dont reckon it would have held (anyone want to buy the bag!?! :| ).

Up to Malton I had thought about aborting a few times (noone iles being late for work, especially when its a retard commute). But having passed the last train station I had to commit and kep on going.

Anyway. Bottom line is that I managed to get to work in time and walked through the doors a hero and got a small group clap. Even had 2 bananas donated to my belly and a few other random bits of food.

My longest commute yet and not sure how I will topple this one!! Happy days
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Wow :o That's some commute! My usual commute is 7 miles but twice this week I've ridden via the post office parcels yard to collect a parcel, they close at 13:00 so I can't go after work on the way home. The detour adds another 6 miles to my ride so my total commute is 13 miles and that was plenty before a days work. Chapeau on an 85 mile ride in :-bd I assume you didn't ride home again afterwards?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Nope... not riding home afterwards Sean... turned out the ride was 83.02 miles as I took a shortcut towards the end by going across the busy A-something which isnt too bad but traffic does tend to come past a little fast.

My original commute which I initally bought my first Marin Palisades Trail for (used to think its the mother of bikes at that time) used to be a 7 mile round trip... Commutes by cycle, be they 5 miles or 50 miles and whether offroad of road (obviously offroad is more cool and more kudos inducing :-bd ), are just ace... A sense of achievement even before the shift starts...

Nope. Not cycling back. Chickened out and had already bought the cheap advance ticket back... 160 mile round trip and a paltry sum of £13.30 (summat like that :-bd )
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I've got a 10 mile up the Birmingham mainline canal and 1/2 mile of road commute ,I find I'm in far better form at work than if I drive in ,it's just the 0430 starts when im on days that gets to me by the end of the week (especially in winter) yet commute on night shift and it's great ,well done that man for 80+ miles before a shift
redefined_cycles

Thank you kind sir(s)... truth be told that its being part of the forum that spurs me on... HT550 sir... suits you sir... would you like a Chris King rear hub with that sir (if only I had the guts and stamina/knowhow to try and even contemplate making one of the entry criteria for that madness!!)... Maybe one day... Shafiq
ton

Post by ton »

redefined_cycles what was you route. roughly.
redefined_cycles

PM sent

The only section i would avoid during busier times is the final 4 miles...but my made route (under MyRoutes as Good Morning Scarborough in my strava profile) acutually misses that fast road and goes through the woods. Just 3 other short stretches whrre you have to cut through some pretty fast (but safe as long as you hold your ground and dont let them bully you to the curb) sections of half mile or so each...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

redefined_cycles wrote:
if only I had the guts and stamina/knowhow to try and even contemplate making one of the entry criteria for that madness!!.... Maybe one day... Shafiq
Even if you don’t have this currently you clearly DO have the mindset to acquire it.

If you want it then go for it. Only you can do it but you know there’s loads of people on here who would be honoured to help you along the way. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Thanks very much Ian. I think there is a few issues going on with me that keeps me a little reserved... firstly the cost (I dont like working too much hence spend wisely and the cost of doing the 100 cliimbs book for example was mounting up and hence it was aborted temporarily....

There there is the issue of being a bit soft ( :roll: ) but am hoping to try and get out this year and try and get the remainder BAM2019 in the belt (but theres just the one slightly issue of:).

The biggest thing probably holding me back is that after 30 years of smoking (heavy vaping for the final 3 with a direct to Lung device) I ended up with symptoms of a massive heartattack after one particular days fasted (50 miles in the month of fasting just before the fast ended) riding around Chew-county. Turned out it was only a viral infection peri-myocarditis (the outer 2 layers of the heart) and the inner layer being infected is what happens to IV drug users. Needless to say that as soon as the consultant gave me the clear to leave the ward for some fresh air I did the done thing and went out and vaped. Heart failure (shortness of breath in short distance walking) came back immediately thankfully led me to finallly quitting over thw coming year.

So since then I'm always extra careful with the winter riding and making ablution (washing of face/arms etc etc) before prayers is a particular problem when the temperature plummets so am alwaya extra careful...

Last thing. Indeed am honoured (not honored: take note Stu) that theres many here to help push my riding forth and I plan on taking that up (hopefully localish riding that doesnt cost an arm and leg to get to the venue). One particualr event that I was just about to join 2as the recently released Moors100... But then realised its in the month of fasting for me... Will keep my ears peeled for other opportunities and hopefully find some Bears to join me on the Pennine Brideleway once I've got my mtb speeds up a little more

:-bd :-bd thanks again all...
redefined_cycles

Right then, In brief (started yesterday but finished today).

Managed to do the 83 (this time 84.5 as didn't shortcut at the final junctions)...

1. Managed to make it a 100 mile round trip (84.5 way there and then the night shift then train back to leeds and the remainder riding home :-bd )
2. Did book a backup train ticket the day before for cheap in case I was feeling soft on the day but didn't need it.
3. I was so looking forward to topping up from the milkbot in Evington at the 40ish mile mark but unfortunately I found that I'd been robbed by the kids and was 5p short so had to settle with putting ginger beer in the bottle instead (or had I already done that).
4. Just when the sun was about to go down and 18 miles left, my bodgedup MYOG mount for my MTBbatts Lumenator to sit beneath my garmin mount ended up giving way. T'was Araldite blued beneath the Garmin mount to a gopro adaptor. At least its covered 4000 miles I suppose so not bad and will have to look into that (shows how important a planB is on these trips and my Nitecore did the job nicely)
5. I made it into a little research project by waving, smiling and saying hello to as many cyclists (and when that didn't work to pedestrians and bunny rabbits)- verdict is that 70 percent of people from West Yorkshire to North are miserable. I got 2 waves/nods and 2 hellos (one was cos the pedestrians were so gobsmacked that I could speak English :lol: ).
6. Did my good deed of the day I guess by turning back to rescue a baby rabbit. Seen him in the side of the road (about the size of 2 fists) and looked like he wanted to cross. So after thinking about it whilst having ridden past I turned around afte 200 metres and shoo'd it into the bushes and away from the road :grin:
7. Riding to work definitely increases productivity and it was a lovely shift!

Is that too much detail for this thread :geek:

FLV

Post by FLV »

What a difference a few weeks make, from snow to sun.

Headed north on the PBW to castleshaw / denshaw way

then round to Marsden descending an old packhorse road off the moor which is pretty good fun for a spot of Co-Op lunch.

Stiff climb up Wessenden and another out of holmebridge then back to glossop

Cracking day out
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Instead of doing Bivvy a month, this year I'm aiming to do Caro a month. Mont Caro is local to where we live and can be nicely fitted into a 100-120km round trip, details here
https://www.cyclefiesta.com/multimedia/ ... t-caro.htm
My Mum died today so I needed some thinking time, she was a lovely woman and was a victim of Alzeimers disease, living in a care home for the last 5-6 years. Before we moved here, I decided to visit her one last time, previous visits had involved sitting watching her sleep or watch telly, she had no idea who I was but that wasn't important, I wanted to remember her as the lady with the cheeky smile and twinkle in her eye. At that visit, she was a bit more lucid and when one of the carers came to see her, she looked at me, turned to the carer and said, "this is my lad" I cried all the way home. I hope my suffering today went a little way to honouring her memory.
redefined_cycles

Sorry to hear about your mum PB... well done and great thinking on trying a CAM...