Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Chew, Taylor

Re: Bivvy a month 2018.

Postby Ray Young » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am

7/7 with the Borders 220 done.
Ray Young

Postby BigdummySteve » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm

7/7 on the run from the sun :-bd
August was to on the Isle of Man but a new job is making that unlikely, need to think of an interesting alternative.
We're all individuals...except me
BigdummySteve

Postby middleagedmadness » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 pm

BigdummySteve wrote:7/7 on the run from the sun :-bd
August was to on the Isle of Man but a new job is making that unlikely, need to think of an interesting alternative.

Come up this way Steve ,meet you down little stretton if you want and a night on longmynd ,will see if Scott's playing too , did have a trip planned for August but think it's gonna be put back a bit until I've got a few more miles under my belt ,see if reg is playing too ,think he said the best train for him was to Telford
middleagedmadness

Location: bradley -a small fishing hamlet in the blackcountry

Postby BigdummySteve » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm

Cheers may well do, enjoyed our last little trip there.
We're all individuals...except me
BigdummySteve

Postby middleagedmadness » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 pm

Friday 17/8 mate if that's ok ,got a family thing on the Sunday so can't do sat/sun ,few pints in the ragleeth then on upto the top of the mynd
middleagedmadness

Postby Scattamah » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Easy. That'll be August BaM cleared. :)

Greetz

S.
Scattamah

Postby RIP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 am

Thanks for the invitation to your neck of the woods chaps - I did enjoy our foray up there in March. I'm going to have to apologise for being a complete party-pooper but my August pass was signed off a while ago for a C2C effort and is now irretrievably stored in Mrs Perrin's filing system :sad:. July is allocated to a top secret (Oh... Blast. Ho hum.) mission striking deep into the heart of BB Land with Pickers to attempt the possibly first-ever traverse of the infamous 'Pickers Gap'. Of course we may never return from that in which case our August pass is a bit academic anyway :wink:. So as said, 'apologies for absence'. Shame 'cos it's looking like a bit of a party what with maybe Ben n Steve & Co along. Ah well.

However don't forget the thing we nattered about later in the year which would be ace :smile:. At the risk of overplanning, past experience suggests getting the ball rolling on that one fairly soon :smile:.

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ
RIP

Postby RIP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Ta for PM's mate. Looks like a Salop/Cotswolds/Chilterns 'fusion caper' seems to be congealing at end of Sept then :-bd. Although I'll be knackered after returning from a W Cumbria exploration. Look fwd to hearing more later (yer, I know this should be over in Playing Out now, confusion reigns :smile:). Hope summat can still be agreed eventually for that there Dec thingy as well :wink:.
"There comes a time in your life Ponsonby, when you think: 'My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ
RIP

Postby middleagedmadness » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:55 pm

RIP wrote:Ta for PM's mate. Looks like a Salop/Cotswolds/Chilterns 'fusion caper' seems to be congealing at end of Sept then :-bd. Although I'll be knackered after returning from a W Cumbria exploration. Look fwd to hearing more later (yer, I know this should be over in Playing Out now, confusion reigns :smile:). Hope summat can still be agreed eventually for that there Dec thingy as well :wink:.

Don't forget black country/Irish/traveller/pikey reg :wink:
middleagedmadness

Postby RIP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 pm

That's quite some mash-up there :roll:. Can't say we're not welcoming to all faiths, creeds, superstitions and drunkards :-bd.

RIP

Postby TheBrownDog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:49 am

7/7 for 2018. I strained my back a couple of weeks ago so there was no chance of any sort of off roading and risk hurting it again, so I had dinner at home then gently rode about three miles along lanes to Hodgemoor Wood, got my hammock up around 10pm, slept like a dog, woke early and was home by 6. This was the only chance I had for a July bivvy, as we're off on hols this weekend.
I'm just stepping outside ...
TheBrownDog

Postby benconnolli » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 pm

7/7 This one was a bit different in that wasn't about the cycling or the sleeping in the wilderness.

Yesterday afternoon eating my Falafel Mama I saw a flyer for an event in Gloucester that evening. Mix of beat box and theatre on the roof of a multi story car park. Last minute plans are my favourite kind so packing with an hours notice was ideal. I only have space for one bike in my room rented from a dippy hippy and commute along roads so, in another deviation from a standard BaM I would be on a road bike. I feel it is excusable as, being 33 years old, it was about as off road as they came in its day and I did bimble along one bridleway on my 27x1 1/4 tyres.

ridingthroughgensBB.jpg
Yes that was all I took. The least yet
ridingthroughgensBB.jpg (481.73 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Bike was custom built for my Grandad and has his initials on the seatstay and fork lugs. This bike has seen some serious commuting mileage and been on trips and tours to fill a book and yet will still carry me to my destination at speed with a smile pasted across my face. Notice the highly fashionable marketing invention sitting behind the saddle like a lost pannier.

Navigation was easy just along the Gloucester road (who'd have thought it!). Usually A roads would be a no no, but a Saturday evening in the Cotswolds is quiet enough to not be an issue and any cars are ridiculously patient with cyclists. It was a pleasant road, peaking in the middle with nice views, then a winding descent all of the way to my destination.

Festival was full of people much cooler than me with glitter on their faces rather than sweat and bugs but at least the open air took away the worst of my stench. The freedom of being able to sleep wherever and whenever I wanted was as liberating of ever. After enough lubrication for my limited sleeping system (down jacket, long johns and tiny klymit inertia mat) to be successful I departed. With these long days and my rushed packing I had forgotten to fit my bike lights. I rolled along the deserted midnight pavements until I found a petrol station open and got some sort of breakfast and a torch. Aptly the snickers had numpty written on it.

The torch took me to a footpath/field where I did my bit of sleeping. The mat has a slow puncture so only stays inflated for about an hour and a half, enough for a stop being as tired nap and acts as a natural alarm clock too. I woke up and it was still dark so, in proper wilderness fashion, I played pokemon on my phone til dawn. The sky glowed the same bright orange as my bike but any photographic attempts were lame. Rolled back into Stroud to find that the maccies only opened at 6am so a had a banana for breakfast before getting a proper sleep.
benconnolli

Postby RIP » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 am

Another top effort in the best tramping traditions there Ben :-bd.

RIP

Postby Landslide » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:46 pm

A number of tasks ticked off with this trip...

My employers held a sports and wellbeing day out in Edale. Rather than sign up for anything too organised and competitive, I sportingly cycled out from Sheffield, before throwing a credible 21m90cm in the Welly Wanging.

In addition to myself, I was also transporting a precious cargo to Edale...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlPnXI-n5o2/

Beer safely handed over, I headed back up into the hills in search of some high ground, counting on the wind to keep the midges at bay. Not only did this tactic work well for avoiding the bitey little feckers, but it also kept me out of the spectacular inversions in the surrounding valleys. Not a bad view to start the day...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTdNLNHPvC/

6th bivvy of the year, 5/7 months in 2018.
Landslide

Previous

Return to Your Trips & Adventures