4 nights in Devon

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HUX

4 nights in Devon

Post by HUX »

So with a total lack of enthusiasm and tennis elbow I set off from Minehead at 3pm on Fri I headed off west on the Braunton 150 route. Fabulous views of the coastline and 28miles in and I was camped high up on Exmoor after some monster climbs watching the sun set.

Day 2 and more climbing across to Woolacombe then onto Braunton where I picked up the Tarka Trail route 27 and headed south.
After an emergency beer and a quick food shop in Bideford I continued south and managed a late night cheeky sneak/early leave onto a cracking campsite with great showers :-bd. 72 miles

Day 3 and an early start down towards Okehampton and more climbing around the edge of Dartmoor to Tavistock. On route 27 until it joined The West Country Way and climbed back into the moors to a great cafe in Princetown. Dinner (dairylee dunkables)and beer ontop of Laughter Tor admiring the view then dropped down to camp by the river near Dartmoor YHA. 64miles

Day 4 plenty of hills heading north to Chagford and a some dodgy looks in Chulmleigh when I got all my kit out to air in the sun. More big climbs and i eventually stopped 1mile south of Exford sheltered from the drizzle. 66miles

Last day so I had a lazy start and rolled down into Exford for a full breakfast, 1st real meal of the trip, and it really hit the spot. Last bit of climbing up and over Dunkery Beacon and a roll back to the van by 12. Job done. 15miles
Physically I was surprised how good I felt given the lack of riding lately.and I was really lucky with the weather. I was bloody tired though,and i looked it,with the skylarks and cuckoo's kicking off before 5 every morning :sad:
^A combination of these routes

Mike

Re: 4 nights in Devon

Post by Mike »

cracking little route hey pal :wink: good effort. I'm gutted I didn't get to stop in the trees down by the river such a lovely spot...Must get back down dartmoor again!!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Nice one Hux, looks like a cracking route and weather for it.
psling

Post by psling »

That sounds like a great few days out. It's been a little while since I've ridden that area and reading about your ride has encouraged me to think about making some plans to head that way again :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks great. I now have this stuck in my head.
https://youtu.be/UCekWXCO6Uc
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Hi,

I'm starting from a long way back here. Ex long time mountain biker, current long time fell walker and wild camper in the Lake District. Never combined bikes and camping though.
So preparing for my first effort as I'm almost at retirement.
Your bags on the bike here, does this carry everything, or do you have a backpack as well? without too much effort I can get everything to 5 1/2 - 6Kg without food & water.
the problem being the volume not the weight probably without a backpack.

Also what brand are the bags, quite like the look of this idea/style.

thanks
J
HUX

Post by HUX »

Hi. I did have a wingnut 2.5 aswell but that was empty most of the time and I cud have got away without it. Everything was on the bike including some clothes I didn't use. Bags and front harness are by Revelate Designs and the front bag is a Wildcat Lioness adapted to fit the harness. Front dry bag is an alpkit 13litre
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Thanks,

What sleeping bag/quilt and tent/tarp did you carry?

J
HUX

Post by HUX »

Cumulus 150 quilt and a terra nova laser comp tent
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Thanks, gives me an idea on volumes.

J
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Every time I read the topic title I get M People stuck in my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCekWXCO6Uc
pete68

Post by pete68 »

Hi Hux. Think we saw you in Porlock outside the shop and had a quick chat about where you were heading. Looks a great ride. Exmoor is tough going but beautiful.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Looks like a great trip Hux, you sporting a new iron horse there as well pal :-bd

Edit: New one on the swear filter for me there :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
HUX

Post by HUX »

Hey Pete, Ye that was me. You were right about that pub being shut. Dinner was a cold banana and no brew as if packed a different stove and no lighter :roll:
Yes Jase got a new ti iron horse. Decided to join the boost club too. Built myself some new wheels and even treated myself to some new brakes. Kept the magic 22t though for my ageing legs :lol: