Do the Deeside Trail

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Do the Deeside Trail

Post by fatbikephil »

That is http://www.deesidetrail.co.uk
This seems to be another ITT that hasn't had much interest but its seriously worth doing. I've just spent 5 days riding it in sections based in Ballater. I appreciate that such a admission could get me thrown off this forum but for once I decided that as I was on holiday it was going to be a proper holiday - luxury accomodation (Vango cyclone 200+) Fine food (courtesy of Co-op and my full sized trangia), fine ales (courtesy of the Alexandra Hotel) and (gasp) amazing sunny weather. Anyway I'll not bang on too much as it wasn't a bikepacking trip but if you want to ride some mentally techy single track you really need to do this route.
In no particular order here's a wee tasty:-
Well posh bothy courtesy of HM QE2. Full pine cladding, a water tap and a loo. Gelder Shiel for all you bothy spotters
Top of descent from near Gelder Shiel to Lizzies Scottish back garden - steep, rocky and rooty.
Approach to Ben Avon and the climb over to Glen Gairn. No photos of Glen gairn but its a lovely trail - some seriously nadgery bits but with lots of nice riding too.
Looking up towards the Devils Point and the Lairig Ghru. This was a rare easy bit but F****ing hell this was some trail - bits have been 'improved' by the effin NTS but much is natural and its an absolute nadge-core tech fest. Most trails (like the Glen gairn trail) comprise shortish sections of rocky bits with nice bits of easier riding. Not this one - it just goes from one section to another with little or no breaks (section as in trials). I hate to boast but I rode 90% of this and I was thoroughly chuffed with myself.
Corour bothy (Another posh one avec a WC). The climb out is more head f*ck stuff but the following descent justifies it.
The descent into Glen Luibeg. Yeeharr this was bloody amazing. Most guide books suggest you do this circuit the other way round (ie anticlockwise from Linn of Dee) but this is bollocks as the trail down the Dee to whitebridge is no more rideable downhill than up and doing it clockwise leaves this descent as a finisher :-bd . Note there are some gargantuan open cross drains on this route but to be honest these are the least of your problems. There are also a few of the ones with a central rock. The trick is to hop your back wheel on the central rock and then hop again onto the far bank. My one attempt at this nearly ended in disaster....

Another gem of a trail but I'm not telling you where this one is :grin:

The lower section of the route (i.e. the bit from Banchory to above Ballater and the last 50 miles) is more straightforward going but with plenty of climbs and some really nice trails (including the Tarland Jump park :mrgreen: ). Doing it in a oner as an ITT is defo on my radar for next spring as the bracken was a bit brutal in places.
ianfitz

Re: Do the Deeside Trail

Post by ianfitz »

Thanks for posting that. It's clearly seriously undersold! Looks amazing.

*adds to list*
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

I'm up that way next month - was planning to do the CL, but might do this instead, however, I hadn't factored in the undergrowth. I guess that will be even worse in August - what would be the least sub standard, CL or DT? Wading through bracken jungle isn't much fun when you are a hobbit...!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

No bracken issues on the CL. Actually just downloaded the latest GPX of the deeside trail and it misses out the worst section of overgrown trail (just before Tarland). It shouldn't be much worse than when I did it in any case.
adamwwallace

Post by adamwwallace »

Good to hear you enjoyed it. I haven't really tried to promote it, the riding in the North East is pretty low key but under rated as a whole so I just hope the route helps people to slowly realise that.

Ballater's a great spot to be based for a few days as there's a lot of riding around and I'd put it up there with the Tweed Valley for range and variety of natural trails (although without GT, Inners, the Golfie etc). Most of its findable on Trailforks and mtbtrails and there are a lot of bits I would have loved to include on the Deeside Trail but didn't work with the overall route.

A lot of the route doesn't get much traffic so there are some overgrown bits, especially in lower Deeside. I've cut a few of them out (along with 2 of the rougher descents, even if I do like the Ballochbuie descent you've got a photo of it is fairly brutal) and it's a bit better now.

Have got a few minor tweaks to make and also to planning to put up a nice route to start in Aberdeen to make it into a 3-4 day tour.
Mart

Post by Mart »

There is a lot of work goes into Gelder Shiel by work parties. The boys do a grand job

I remember it years ago as 4 stone walls and frigid
It's much improved with the stove and the like.
(same for Corrour)
2924 miles per Gallon
Mike

Post by Mike »

This looks a great little trail/loop
Where can I get the gpx for it please ;)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Would this be rideable by gravel bike? My other half has a Moots adventure bike that will take 37mm tyres.

Thanks

Ian
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sounds good and a nice length for a weekend.

The website is really nicely put together as well, lots of useful info (some may argue that's a bad thing).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

BreninBeener wrote:Would this be rideable by gravel bike? My other half has a Moots adventure bike that will take 37mm tyres.

Thanks

Ian
Not a chance unless you like a lot of carrying (up and down). Lots of mentally techy single track and plenty intermediate rough stuff which would make a gravel bike a PIA
BreninBeener

Post by BreninBeener »

Ok...mtb it is then! Thanks